Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Would love to meet Americans living in the Birmingham area  (Read 7147 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Would love to meet Americans living in the Birmingham area
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
I don't know of places to buy Kraft Mac and Cheese in the store, but you can definitely order it online! I'm starting to crave it a bit so I'll probably break down and buy a few boxes one of these days.

You can get REAL ramen at Tesco though!! It's even the awesome kind my mom used to buy when I was a kid. The stuff imported from Japan. *grins*

I'm up in Swad, South Derbyshire, so I still haven't even made it to Birmingham yet.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 57
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 07:45:15 PM »
Yeah, you can get Kraft mac & cheese and even easy mac on Amazon.co.uk (I've been doing my research!). The easy mac is only 1 pound per cup (which I am pretending is $1) and I figure until I get my kids accustomed, I'll be buying it there!

Tesco website sells Hidden Valley Ranch for not too much too, which means I don't have to resort to the powdered stuff I get at Costco. I'll definitely be hitting up the American sections at the stores. I was *this* close to buying a kg of velveeta at Costco last week and attempting to bring it over with me...just so I can make queso!  :P

What brand of ramen is that Lyonaria??? Is it Maruchan (sp?)?
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »

What brand of ramen is that Lyonaria??? Is it Maruchan (sp?)?

Yep, Maruchan Top Ramen. The "good" stuff. IMO at least. haha. It's in the international food section, with all the (what we would call) Asian things like glass noodles, Teryaki (sp?) sauce, fish sauce, etc. They have instant noodles here called Super Noodles, but the noodle texture is just icky and they're really starchy. The ramen is pretty darn cheap too. I think I last bought it for 47p?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
Yep, Maruchan Top Ramen. The "good" stuff. IMO at least. haha. It's in the international food section, with all the (what we would call) Asian things like glass noodles, Teryaki (sp?) sauce, fish sauce, etc. They have instant noodles here called Super Noodles, but the noodle texture is just icky and they're really starchy. The ramen is pretty darn cheap too. I think I last bought it for 47p?

My 5 year old (one of them!) thanks you, as it's his favorite food! I've had Super Noodles before and I don't like them either. I will definitely check for them when we get there! Woo!

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 08:44:09 PM »
My 5 year old (one of them!) thanks you, as it's his favorite food! I've had Super Noodles before and I don't like them either. I will definitely check for them when we get there! Woo!

I am so happy to help. *grins* I think they have a few flavours... I only paid attention to the fact that there was chicken though as it's my favourite. haha. I haven't found a good replacement for Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup though. I really like to have it when I'm not feeling well. Weirdly enough ramen is a pretty good substitute sometimes. haha.

I'm glad you found your Easy Mac! I actually haven't ever had it... I usually just buy a box cause it's so cheap and it what I want and toss the rest. It's a bit wasteful but it's less than a dollar usually for a box of the Blues.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »
I am so happy to help. *grins* I think they have a few flavours... I only paid attention to the fact that there was chicken though as it's my favourite. haha. I haven't found a good replacement for Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup though. I really like to have it when I'm not feeling well. Weirdly enough ramen is a pretty good substitute sometimes. haha.

We only eat the chicken flavor anyway! I am having my DH look for it in the store near us. I know what you mean about chicken noodle soup though...what else is there when you're sick?!  :P My other son will eat Campbell's cream of tomato, so that seems to be readily available as well. I am going to miss bean with bacon though!

I'm glad you found your Easy Mac! I actually haven't ever had it... I usually just buy a box cause it's so cheap and it what I want and toss the rest. It's a bit wasteful but it's less than a dollar usually for a box of the Blues.

I prefer the box too...but easy mac is so EASY when it's just for one kid! He may have to deal as the box is definitely cheaper and makes a couple of servings for him!

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 09:39:16 PM »
We only eat the chicken flavor anyway! I am having my DH look for it in the store near us. I know what you mean about chicken noodle soup though...what else is there when you're sick?!  :P My other son will eat Campbell's cream of tomato, so that seems to be readily available as well. I am going to miss bean with bacon though!

I prefer the box too...but easy mac is so EASY when it's just for one kid! He may have to deal as the box is definitely cheaper and makes a couple of servings for him!

Nice! The one thing to let you know is there is a small sesame oil packet, you'll want to add a very small amount of that to the ramen or else it just doesn't taste as nice, but not too much or it's REALLY strongly sesame flavoured. I made the mistake of putting too much in and it was not nice. hahaha. I miss the beef with vegetables, it's definitely a favourite. You can get the cream or chicken and mushroom for cooking with, which is awesome.

This is true. I've always been picky and not wanted to eat leftover macaroni and cheese, the noodles just soak up the sauce and it's so not as nice. *smiles* kiddos never seem to mind though! your boys are the same age as my nephew back in the states!

• 3 years and counting...
  • Liked: 0
Re:
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:02 PM »
Anyone opposed to a FB group for Americans in Brum??  Because that might be easier than trying to follow and arrange everyone on here??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Oct 17, 11 - Submitted online application
Oct 21, 11 - Biometrics
Oct 28, 11 - Mailed documents (no priority)
Oct 31, 11 - FedEx delivered
Nov 1, 11 - Email saying documents opened and organized
Nov 4, 11 - Email saying needs further processing
Nov 8, 11 - Email saying visa issued!!!
Feb 14, 2012 - FLR issued!
Feb, 2014 - ILR issued!

Re:
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 06:31:54 AM »
Anyone opposed to a FB group for Americans in Brum??  Because that might be easier than trying to follow and arrange everyone on here??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It's strange that there isn't any identifying info on here- my fb email is j.s.lipari@gmail.com please find me and let's get this group started!

• 3 years and counting...
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 10:36:37 PM »
OK!  Here is the link for the FB group!  Please ask to join!!  :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/793425607371657/

THERE ARE TALKS OF A FEB HALF TERM MEET-UP!
Oct 17, 11 - Submitted online application
Oct 21, 11 - Biometrics
Oct 28, 11 - Mailed documents (no priority)
Oct 31, 11 - FedEx delivered
Nov 1, 11 - Email saying documents opened and organized
Nov 4, 11 - Email saying needs further processing
Nov 8, 11 - Email saying visa issued!!!
Feb 14, 2012 - FLR issued!
Feb, 2014 - ILR issued!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab