Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long do packages take to get to you from the USA?  (Read 10900 times)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
How long do packages take to get to you from the USA?
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
My parents mailed a package to me via USPS on December 14th and it has not arrived - over 3 weeks later. I know my Dad addressed it correctly, as he made labels when I moved here, and has used them before.

Has anyone experienced this? Did the package eventually show up?

British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 0
Re: How long do packages take to get to you from the USA?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
I have experienced a range of delivery times.  From getting something in just a couple of days, to a delay of almost 6 weeks.  As far as I know, I have received all packages sent to me. 

“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
I've experienced the range too. I've had them come in four days and I've waited two months. With it being mailed during the Christmas busy season I wouldn't worry too horribly much just yet.

“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »
This might seem a silly follow-up question, but WHY?  Why such a wide range of delivery times?  Assuming they all come from the same place (mine all come from the Philadelphia suburbs), are mailed using the same service (regular air mail), I don't understand why a package a friend sent me (mailed directly after Christmas) arrived in 4 days, yet my parents has taken over 3 weeks and counting.  I guess it is just one of those great mysteries of life. :(
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
If the blue 'air mail' sticker fell off, then it seems to delay packages. Also, even a small packet may be opened by customs. You never know.

My granddaughter mailed a small packet for my birthday from the US in early November which took over 3 weeks to arrive.

I sent a packet to a friend in NC which arrived over 3 weeks later and the Royal Mail said 'estimated 3-5 business days'. This was in October, so Christmas was not an issue.

If the address is not machine readable, anything and everything gets tossed into a 'manual sorting pile' by the USPS. That will also add time.

The real reason???? GREMLINS!!!
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
Glad to know it wasn't just me.

I wish I had posted my gripe a couple weeks ago. About 2 hours after I posted this, the package arrived. :D

I checked the label - printed out in a big font, perfect. Air mail stickers affixed. Nothing amiss. It is a mystery, but I'm just so glad it got here. My parents were getting quite sad about it.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
Dad mailed us a box of goodies a couple weeks before Christmas. About two days after he mailed it, he started asking mom if she had heard from me and if the box had arrived.  ;D I think it took about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks to get here, but in the Christmas rush, I thought it came surprisingly quickly.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• A Mummy in the UK
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
There's a 4 to 6 week delay right now with packages due to the holiday season... otherwise, I usually receive packages in 1 to 2 weeks.
newcomer link: http://amummyintheuk.blogspot.com/ [nonactive]

American Mummy on the great adventure of navigating a new country and motherhood at the same time

• Liked: 387
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »
I've also experienced a range of times.  My mom sends me packages and always emails me when she ships them so I can keep an eye out.  Sometimes I receive them in a few weeks but other times, it's much longer.  I think the record delay was for an Easter present - I got it in the end, but in late summer!

To be fair, the same happens to me when shipping UK to US.  I've had some packages arrive relatively quickly, and others seemed to take ages.

This Christmas, I didn't take any chances.  I shipped via DHL and IMO, it wasn't horrifically expensive.  I dropped the package off at a DHL service point on Saturday, it was shipped on Monday, arrived in the US on Tuesday, and was eventually delivered to my family Tuesday afternoon.

• Yorkshire Yank
    • my blog
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:17:58 AM »
I usually receive packages from my mom in the US in a week or less, but the delay could've been just from the Christmas season when there would've been more post coming through than usual. Glad you finally got your package :)
Fiancee visa approved 17 Dec. 2010
Arrived in UK 23 Dec. 2010
Married 26 April 2011
FLR(M) application posted 17 May 2011
Received Biometrics letter 28 May 2011
Biometrics done 8 June 2011
Biometrics Residence permit received 23 June 2011
SET(M) application posted 6 June 2013
Biometrics letter received 22 June 2013
Biometrics done 28 June 2013
Received my documents and letter that my BRP is being issued 6 July 2013

• Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
My Mom & Sister sent Dh & I a package from the States an it took just under 2 weeks for it to arrive. then one of my friends from back home sent us something as well she sent it Dec 14th an it arrived Dec 29th.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 03:22:34 PM »
It has taken anywhere from a few days up to a few weeks for me.

Sending mail between the US and UK, I've found that it takes an average of a week, so I don't have to send birthday cards too early, but I did send a VERY important letter to the US recently, and it took an entire month. Very frustrating.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
Yes it is frustrating about the mail and such....my granddaughter sent me pictures on the 16th of Jan and still have not gotten them and they have not got them back either, they live in Idaho......then my niece, who is in Georgia, sent me a small package on the 19th of Jan and it came on the 26th.......I also sent my son some very important items that he needed a week ago Friday and he still has not gotten the envelope........he is in Idaho also.......but oh well......

• Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »
Most of my mail takes an average of 3-6 weeks I've noticed! I have had 1 box go missing (unfortunately they were full of girl scout cookies from my mom, so imagine my disappointment! Someone had some happy snacking though!  ;) ) But otherwise, I haven't had any issues of not receiving any items! Vice versa, never had any issues getting items to people back home...So I can't complain too much!
~Amberelle

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab