Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I need HELP  (Read 1823 times)

• Liked: 0
I need HELP
« on: April 17, 2003, 05:05:01 PM »
Please can someone tell me if u have to have a job before u go to the UK? Can u just move and find a job?

• Liked: 24
Re: I need HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 05:12:08 PM »
Unfortunately you have to have a job already to move to the UK for work, unless you otherwise qualify for residence. You're not allowed to come to just "look for a job". Work permits must be gotten by the employer previous to your move.

More details are here:
http://www.workpermits.gov.uk/

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 05:20:49 PM »
So what do u mean by qualify for residence. Sorry I really dont no alot about any of this.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 05:31:19 PM »
You can also move to the UK if you are the spouse/fiance of a citizen, have parents/grandparents who are citizens of the UK or the European Union.

I'm not an immigration attorney of course, but it is much more difficult to move to the UK for those looking for work here than for anyone else I think. You must find an employer who is willing to get the permit, which involves fees for them, and they must prove that they needed to hire you because there was a lack of employable citizens who qualified, etc. There are fields in which there is a shortage, I think you'll find them on the website above or else on http://www.uk-yankee.com/career.php, there are some links to Shortage Occupations and Highly Skilled Migrant Worker Program. I hope that helps some.

If you're determined to move to the UK, you'll find a way, it's not always simple. Have you visited previously? What makes you want to move here? :)

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 05:41:55 PM »
Yes I was just there in March. See my thing is that my g/f lives there and i want to b with her but, we are both women and getting married is out of the question. So im not really sure on how to move there and get a job. So that is my deal and im try to find out as much as i can.  :)

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 05:46:52 PM »
Gotcha.

I think there are other avenues for your situation. May I ask how long you've been together? That will have some bearing on it.

I think there is also a possiblity of moving for "partnership" in the same way as for marriage, tho I'm not quite sure.

Let me see what I can find. :)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2003, 06:03:01 PM »
Leah to the rescue.  :D

I seem to recall (when filling out my marriage visa forms) there was a provision for same sex partnerships...which I'm sure Leah will be able to throw further light onto shortly.

And don't they have a sort of registrar type ceremony over here now for partners?  I seem to recall seeing something in the news about this a year or so ago.

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 06:36:43 PM »
It's not terribly encouraging actually.

The IND site says this:

Can I join my unmarried partner in the UK?
You may apply to join your unmarried partner in the UK so long as he or she:

*currently lives and is settled in the UK, or
*is coming to the UK to live permanently

How do I qualify to join my unmarried partner in the UK?
You and your unmarried partner must show that:

*any previous marriage, or similar relationship, has permanently broken down
*you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for two years or more
*you have adequate accommodation, owned or occupied exclusively by you both, where you and your dependants can live without help from public funds
*you can support yourselves and any dependants without help from public funds
*you intend to live together permanently
*your partner is not under 18
*you are not under 16

The Entry Clearance Officer will require evidence of a two-year relationship. This may include documentation showing joint commitments such as bank accounts, investments, rent agreements, mortgages; correspondence linking you to the same address and official records of your address, such as national insurance or health cards.

In summary, you must have lived together for two years.

BUT, there are some other options here:

http://www.stonewall-immigration.org.uk/Other_Options.htm

It says that you can build up time living together during visits, and a few other suggestions.

I hope that helps somehow. :-/ Maybe someone else has some clearer advice, give it a couple of days.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 06:48:29 PM »
Thank you so much for all of your help Leah.  I will look into the stonewall link and see if i can find anything.

dresden

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2003, 07:08:43 PM »
There is also one of our members, chrishansenhome, who might be able to help you.  He has a really good web page, which deals with same sex partners and immigration.  If you go to his name under members, it has a link.  Best of luck.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 07:09:48 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2003, 07:13:56 PM »
oh yeah, it's also on the awards page, might be easier to find it there.

http://www.uk-yankee.com/awards

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2003, 07:28:25 PM »
Yes i have found it thank you very much to the both of you for pointing it out to me.

dresden

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab