Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Registration for Life in the UK test - home office reference number?  (Read 7270 times)

• Liked: 4
Hello,

My husband is registering on the UK boarder agency website to book his life in the UK test in preparation for ILR.  One of the questions asks him to enter his Home Office reference number if he has one... but we are not sure if he does or not!

He has a spouse visa in his USA passport but I dont think we have any other documentation which might have it on.

We would be very grateful if anyone can let us know if he is likely to have one or not!

Re: Registration for Life in the UK test - home office reference number?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »
I don't know if it's a big deal if he doesn't see it or doesn't know it, but mine was handwritten in the back of the passport.  That was a long time ago, so I don't know if they still do that.  The number begins with the first letter of your surname, plus six (mine had six) digits.  I just took my test a few weeks ago, and the certificate does not include the Home Office number I gave them.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
Thanks dani m, can you remember why you had the reference written in your passport, was it just something they did when you first arrived in the UK?

We are just wondering if he should have one somewhere but we dont know where to look! (there are no hand written notes in his passport).

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »
As I said, this was a long time ago.  I used to have ILR (which lapsed, so I'm having to go all through this again).  The number was on the letter from the Home Office, and they had written the same number by hand inside the back cover of the passport.
As I recall, though, when I registered for the KOL test, the form said "Home Office Reference Number (if known)".
I posted a question about this number myself in mid-November, and one person even said they had been given several different numbers.  I just gave what I had from several years back.  Someone else with better or more up-to-date information can chip in, but it doesn't seem to have been an issue.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »
I didn't give a HO reference number when I registered for KOL.  I took the test in 2011 and my spouse visa was issued the last quarter of 2010.  I didn't have any correspondence listing a HO number (letters or otherwise), nor did my visa explicitly identify a HO reference anywhere.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:31:58 PM »
You won't have a Home Office Reference Number unless you've had dealings with the Home Office while in the UK...For example: you've applied for another visa or are subject to removal/bounce etc, then it would be on the letter from the Home Office.

The OP's husband won't have one and neither will 99% of the people on UKY.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 10:22:01 PM »
Thank you very much for the clarification, we just booked him in.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab