Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ISO Microchip  (Read 1455 times)

• Liked: 0
ISO Microchip
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
My two cats are going to the UK middle of March.
They both scanned for there microchips which where there.
They had there Rabies Vaccination. Got there Rabies certificate no micro chip on the certificate. Was told they dint put it on certificate.

When I go to another vet today who is going to do the health certificate 10 day departure. Tells me they only have a nine day digital Microchip not the ISO Microchip.They need to go to the vet who did the Rabies Vaccination to put the ISO Microchip.

Can my cats have two microchips which will both scan?
What about the Rabies Certificate they cant put Microchip information on?
Can they do verification letter.

Kath58.

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: ISO Microchip
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
I'm not sure what the 9 day digital microchip is.

- You can have multiple microchips, but I've heard recommendations against this (regardless of importing animals). If they end up close together, they can interfere with each others' signals. Even if that doesn't happen, it can cause confusion because if they find the non-ISO chip first and don't bother scanning for another one, they could get the wrong (or no) information.

- My vet wrote in the microchip number on the rabies certificate. Perhaps your vet can do the same.

- I'm not sure what verification letter you mean?

Keep in mind that if you need to re-chip your cats, they'll need to restart the process. Luckily the process is only 3 weeks at this point.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

The nine digtal  Microchip is for the USA. 15 digital  IS International.
Going back to see the vet on Monday.

Kath58.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:35:36 PM »
I'm not sure what the 9 day digital microchip is.

I believe the OP meant digit and not digital. Otherwise I have no clue either.
Love,

MikeyMike

• British by descent
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:08 PM »
Both of my pets have the US standard microchips (despite asking them to do the ISO one for the cat, the dog already had his).

DEFRA had no issues with it (at Heathrow), and I've since been to 2 vets who've also been fine with it. However, I am considering getting an ISO one put in just so that I know a shelter/vet's office could read one of them if either of my pets were to go missing. I haven't done it yet, though, thanks to the concerns about having multiple microchips.

So I would think that as long as you can get the chip # put on the rabies certificate, you should be fine. You can always call DEFRA to be sure, though.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:03:09 AM »
Both of our dogs just had the standard chips when we moved them over the first time and there was no problem.  

When we got settled our vet in the UK but the 15 digit one in since we thought if they did get lost it'd be better.

When I got our one dog scanned back in the US last year the 15 digit chip kept overriding the 15 digit one.  The only way he could get the old chip to read was with an old scanner.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
The rabies certificate needs to have the microchip number on it.  Otherwise the DEFRA people can't know that your animal was actually vaccinated.  If the number is not on there, you will need to have them revaccinated with the number included.  If there is no normal place for it, they can put it where your cat's name.  You may have to be quite insistent about this with the vet.

An ISO chip won't interfere with an American chip because they are on different frequencies.  An ISO chip probably isn't necessary, as many have mentioned, but I got one for my pets before I left.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:52:38 AM »
So  my cats have to be re micro chipped with the ISC Microchip and then have there Rabies Vaccination re done.
They both had bad allergy reaction from there Rabies Vaccinations last week and the Vet told me they might not be able to have other Rabies Vaccinations. They could die from it.

• British by descent
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
If they already have the US chip, and it was done before the rabies, you should be fine. Just get your vet to write the chip # on their vaccination.

Bear in mind, though, that their rabies will have to be re-done once you move here (also, apparently the vaccine is only counted for up to 2 years here - my boys have gotten the 3-year vaccine but it officially expires after 2 years). So I don't think you'll be able to avoid re-vaccinating them ever again.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 06:17:01 AM »
Did your cats have THEIR vaccination before or after the chips were implanted? Get the vet to put THEIR chip numbers on the certificate. Perhaps the vet is not used to preparing animals for an international move.

Like people, some animals, have adverse reactions to vaccinations. If you need to get them re vaccinated then I would suggest going to another DVM. Some pets are allergic to histamines and need to be given an antihistamine before the shot. Your vet should have been able to give you some sort of an idea of the how/why your pet had that reaction. They can go into anaphylactic shock just like a human. If your vet says something like "one more time and they might die" without doing the proper job to begin with (meaning you should have told them implant first) I would personally ruin them.

By the way you type I am assuming that English is your second language. Perhaps you could bring a native English speaker with you to the vet to express your questions and concerns in a clear and concise manner?

To recap: 1) Did the cats have the vaccinations before or after THEIR implants? 
2) What reason did the vet give for THEIR reactions to the vaccinations?  3) If given in the correct order you do not have to worry as even the American version can be read at Heathrow. 4) If everything was done in the correct the order then please make certain that they are indoor so they would not be subjected to rabies or other diseases that vaccines prevent.

Best of luck to you and your cats! I heart cat lovers. 
Love,

MikeyMike

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab