Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Will UK let me in with my old passport??  (Read 932 times)

• Liked: 0
Will UK let me in with my old passport??
« on: September 19, 2004, 11:34:50 PM »
Ok.... so even if the whole visa thing goes through without a hitch, will the UK let me in travelling on a passport with my old, unmarried name, even though I assume the visa will have my new, married name?

We plan to get married, mail our application to New York, honeymoon in the states while it's being processed, then return to London about 2 weeks later, visa in hand.

I checked it out, and in order to change the name on my passport they need the marriage certificate (it will be in New York with the visa application) and require AT LEAST 2 weeks (and that's the "expedited" service).

Has anyone had this problem?  Any advice?    ???

Thanks a mil,
Anna

Re: Will UK let me in with my old passport??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 07:03:02 AM »
Your visa will be in your unmarried name to begin with.  I don't know why they do it this way but they do.  We nearly ran into a problem because my husband bought my plane ticket and put it in my married name.  Travel with your marriage certificate and you should be fine, but you may want to put your ticket in your unmarried name to be on the safe side. 

As for changing your name in your passport, I waited several months before changing mine.  When I did, I just went to the US Embassy where I got it changed right then and there.  I was only there for maybe 2 hours (most of that was waiting outside and part of the trip was spent at the Social Security office downstairs filling out the application to change my name with them and get a new card). 

It'll be fine!

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 10:39:32 AM »
So, Elle, do you have to have your name changed on your visa as well, or is it enough to change your name in your passport? I'm planning on starting in on the name change thing right away once I get my FLR (M) and I'm curious about this visa not matching the passport thing!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 01:00:57 PM »
Just change your passport.  That's all I did.  The visa will say "Jane Doe husband of Joe Schmoe".  When you amend your passport the amendment will say "This passport is amended to change the bearer's name from Jane Doe to Jane Schmoe" or something of the like.  The connection will be clear but if there's any doubt in your mind, travel with your marriage certificate.  I've never really needed mine though.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 04:02:14 PM »

A

Sponsored Links