Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Teachers--How long to hear back about an application?  (Read 11835 times)

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Teachers--How long to hear back about an application?
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »
Hi all! I spontaneously dropped off an application for a teaching job Friday (the job closed Friday at noon) at a private secondary school.  I was all set to put it out of my mind for a week until a friend who teaches here in the UK mentioned that she's always heard back about an app within 24 hours. Now, for both of my jobs here and ALL of them in the states, I have never heard back that fast. Is it SOP in the UK to contact teachers that quickly to tell them whether or not they are on the shortlist?

Sigh.

• Liked: 3
Re: Teachers--How long to hear back about an application?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
I never heard back that quickly about any position in either the US or the UK. In fact I had pretty much given up on both positions I interviewed for when I found my second UK teaching position. When they wanted to interview the processes very quick, one called the day before while I was out at the first interview and I had to get a second day off from teaching. I'd not fret too much, especially if it is a desirable school and they have a lot of applications.

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:46:32 PM »
Thank you! She lives in what we fondly term "deepest darkest Devon", so I think she might be familiar with very small schools. This is a very well thought of school, so I imagine there will be a number if applications. I'm really wanting to get back into teaching, so it was pretty exciting just to fill out the application, tbh. :)

I think the fastest I heard about a teaching job in the US was about ten days, but this school also breaks up for midterm break next week, so I'm going to assume I would hear after that at the earliest.

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
I have also had people suggest I ring up this Friday (a week after the app) to check on the status of it; this feels very fast (and perhaps a bit pushy?) to me.  Has anyone else done something like this?
I am getting a bit too focused on this particular job I think, but I really want to get back into teaching!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
I don't think a week after submitting an application is being too pushy or too soon.  I do that when I've applied for jobs.  I even did that for a job I tried applying for in the UK recently.  I think it may give you a "bump" in the queue rather than possibly get lost in the pile.  Also, I personally think it shows you are interested in the position.

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
I don't think a week after submitting an application is being too pushy or too soon.  I do that when I've applied for jobs.  I even did that for a job I tried applying for in the UK recently.  I think it may give you a "bump" in the queue rather than possibly get lost in the pile.  Also, I personally think it shows you are interested in the position.

Good point! They do break up for midterm break this week, so I think I will ring midweek when they get back!

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »

This. As long as the application/job listing didn't say "you will hear back on/by X date", and you're not calling saying "hire me now! tell me something! I need feedback!", the worst you'll do is sound polite and interested, and bring your name (back) to the top of their minds.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab