Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bringing Home a Rescue and have some ?s  (Read 3533 times)

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
Bringing Home a Rescue and have some ?s
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
Hiya!
Some exciting news in our world, we're adopting a cat Peppa and she comes home to us on Saturday. YAY!!

We've never had a pet (well, partner always had one growing up, me having allergies didn't - but my ex had some when we lived together and I built up some tolerances) and I want to make sure the initial few days are as stress free as possible. Peppa is about 5 and I think was always a stray, shes being doing well in her foster home (with no desire to go outside) and was looking online for some tips for this. CATS Protections have advised to buy a feliway plugin to help the cat relax.. At £37 it seems to be a bit steep (we have to go to petsathome, as its our nearest pet store and unable to get it in time from Amazon) for a plugin...

Or are there any other ideas people have out there, to make Peppas first few weeks with us as easy as they can be for her?

Thanks

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: Bringing Home a Rescue and have some ?s
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »
I've used a feliway plugin a few times

- once to try and calm one of my cats who spontaneously decided she hated all the other cats in the house (who eventually developed a hatred for her, too!)
- once to try and get my cat to stop licking himself bald

Neither time appeared to have any effect. The cats still fought, and only steroids/antihistamines have helped my cat stop obsessively licking.

That's not to say that feliway might not help, but I haven't found it useful in the two scenarios I've tried it with.

If she's doing well in her foster home, transitioning to your home shouldn't be too stressful on her. Obviously make sure she's got fresh food/water/litter. Perhaps you could take something (an old towel?) from her current foster home so that she'd have something familiar looking/smelling with her transition. Other than that, I'd make sure to give her lots of attention over the weekend, play with her (if she's into toys), etc. She should settle in pretty quickly - I've fostered/adopted cats several times and once they explore their surroundings and learn their new routine, they settled in quite well.

She's adorable, congratulations!
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
A mouse! She needs to chase and catch a mouse in her new environment to feel at home  ;D ;D  Maxwell was a rescue and he managed it his first night.  Been ruling the roost ever since.

Peppa looks very sweet.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
Thanks you guys.. Im just nervous (as well is Peppa...) and want to make sure I can do as best as possible.. I'll hold back to buying the Feliway then.. May get it for her when Bonfire night rolls around...

Also, should we only keep in her one room when she gets here (I saw another site that recommended it) or should we just keep a few doors open (kitchen, living room, box room - which has a large window & futon, maybe bathroom?) The house is quite spread out (terrace, with finished cellar and attic) so dont want to get her into sensory overload

The rescue is dropping her off, since shes in Doncaster and we're in Sheffield and dont drive, so hoping they do give her a blanket she can take with her

Im hoping to get her some toys (balls, balls with bells some 'mice') as well...  :D

Thanks guys

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »

Also, should we only keep in her one room when she gets here (I saw another site that recommended it) or should we just keep a few doors open (kitchen, living room, box room - which has a large window & futon, maybe bathroom?) The house is quite spread out (terrace, with finished cellar and attic) so dont want to get her into sensory overload.

Sounds like your abode is pretty big, so I would think it would be best if she got used to just one room at first -- at least over night.  Depends on where you want the litter box too, of course. If she has access to a lot of rooms at first she will be off exploring and you won't know where to find her -- or her, you.
Sounds like you'll be good kitty-parents  ;)
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »
Sounds like your abode is pretty big, so I would think it would be best if she got used to just one room at first -- at least over night.  Depends on where you want the litter box too, of course. If she has access to a lot of rooms at first she will be off exploring and you won't know where to find her -- or her, you.
Sounds like you'll be good kitty-parents  ;)

Thank you so much BD! :)
I guess well try to keep her in the box room a couple of days, then.. Its small, but theres a place to rest (double futon) and the litter box well be kept there or near that room anyways.

Oh in that room we tend to keep an umbrella tree, aloe vera plant and a basil plant as well. We should move those out, at least while thats her primary room? Im afraid of her eating the leaves and getting sick..

• If you take my breath away...
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
I got my first cat from a rescue - don't be surprised if she isn't social at first.  She may be extremely spooked and take a few days to adjust.

My Sydney hid in the closet for about 3 days, and then she was like a shadow for a while.  It took a few months before she was lounging on my lap.  She was the exception amoung my brood - the others have become social fairly quickly.  My littlest one was a snugglebun from the first moment.

In my 5 total, I've had one rescue who was very social, but the she turned rather mean at around 1 year old.  She was loving and sweet, then she would shred the hell out of you.  At age 5, she packed it up and left the home.  It was never a bad home, it was just her personality.  I guess she found a better deal elsewhere.

I guess what I am saying is that all cats have different personalities and sometimes rescues will have prior issues that affect them.  Let her show you her personality, and don't be too disappointed if it isn't exactly what you expect.  Some will bond instantly, others need some time and space to adjust.  Occasionally you get one that is antisocial, and they need to be given extra space etc.

Happy fuzzing!  I hope it goes well for you :)
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
Feliway is well worth the money, I always got them on Ebay, they were much cheaper! Good luck!

• British by descent
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »
I would suggest devoting one room for Peppa, at least for the first day/night. After that you can gradually introduce her to the rest of the house, but I would think it would be a bit overwhelming to have the entire place to roam when she's not familiar with it.

Plus if she does decide that hiding is the best option, it's much easier to find one cat in one room than wonder if she's worked her way into the attic or under the stairs or some other obscure place. :) (I'd also have that room be far away from the door to the outside in case she decided to bolt.)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
I have no advice, just wanted to say how cute she is! She looks really sweet! :)
Looks like you guys will be lovely kitty parents, putting in this much thought to making her happy :)

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
I got my first cat from a rescue - don't be surprised if she isn't social at first.  She may be extremely spooked and take a few days to adjust.

My Sydney hid in the closet for about 3 days, and then she was like a shadow for a while.  It took a few months before she was lounging on my lap.  She was the exception amoung my brood - the others have become social fairly quickly.  My littlest one was a snugglebun from the first moment.

In my 5 total, I've had one rescue who was very social, but the she turned rather mean at around 1 year old.  She was loving and sweet, then she would shred the hell out of you.  At age 5, she packed it up and left the home.  It was never a bad home, it was just her personality.  I guess she found a better deal elsewhere.

I guess what I am saying is that all cats have different personalities and sometimes rescues will have prior issues that affect them.  Let her show you her personality, and don't be too disappointed if it isn't exactly what you expect.  Some will bond instantly, others need some time and space to adjust.  Occasionally you get one that is antisocial, and they need to be given extra space etc.

Happy fuzzing!  I hope it goes well for you :)

Thank you so much for the advice..
Peppa is a bit shy and a bit grumpy, but after a she gets to know you shes fine.. At least thats what the rescue told me... Im okay with her not being tooo cuddly, Id be happy if she sat across the room on the couch sleeping/taking it all in kind of thing..

I just want to make sure this adjustment period is calm as it can be..

Feliway is well worth the money, I always got them on Ebay, they were much cheaper! Good luck!
Thanks Rach, will definitely take a look there. Any advise on how to spot a fake version up for auction? Or is it something hard to fake?

I would suggest devoting one room for Peppa, at least for the first day/night. After that you can gradually introduce her to the rest of the house, but I would think it would be a bit overwhelming to have the entire place to roam when she's not familiar with it.

Plus if she does decide that hiding is the best option, it's much easier to find one cat in one room than wonder if she's worked her way into the attic or under the stairs or some other obscure place. :) (I'd also have that room be far away from the door to the outside in case she decided to bolt.)
Yeah, we're clearing out the boxed room for her. Its on the 1st floor (next to the bathroom across from our bedroom) and theres at least the door to the kitchen to keep her in... We dont plan on her having access to the cellar/attics until we can clear them both out and make them safe for her to get lost in

I have no advice, just wanted to say how cute she is! She looks really sweet! :)
Looks like you guys will be lovely kitty parents, putting in this much thought to making her happy :)
Thank you! She didnt look like all other cats up for adoption (plus she has half a tail) so thats why we took a liking to her... You cant see it, as I didnt use a flash from my cameraphone, but she has amazing eyes

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »
Did the rescue people make you sign anything that you would not let her outside? Just wondering. We had to do that when we got M. They said that indoor cats were healthier and lived longer lives. I wouldn't let him out on our busy street anyway, but we do take him out on a harness and lead in the summer. He gets all tangled up in the bushes.
(I love gray cats  :-*)
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Did the rescue people make you sign anything that you would not let her outside? Just wondering. We had to do that when we got M. They said that indoor cats were healthier and lived longer lives. I wouldn't let him out on our busy street anyway, but we do take him out on a harness and lead in the summer. He gets all tangled up in the bushes.
(I love gray cats  :-*)

We havent signed anything YET.. Im guessing that happens on Saturday when shes dropped off. The home visitor when she stopped by our house, stressed the importance of keeping her in, to get used to her surroundings...

• I'm the Brit half...
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »
Awww what a lucky cat  :)

Try not to worry too much Kerri I am sure the pud will be just fine. I have had 3 cats which have been rescues (I have 2 of them at the moment). The first time I got one was a few years ago now and I was so nervous. I got Lucy who was 6 at the time and here is a picture of her within a few hours of landing at my home!!

She is also on my profile picture with my other cat Rosie but unfortunately she isn't with us now :( But she was so wonderful. I now have Rosie who I have had for 2 years and Ollie who I got at just 8 weeks old from a shelter (that scared me and his mum had abandoned him!!). Both are indoor cats by the way...

I think just the fact you are so conscious of trying to make it a stress free as possible is something and will surely calm any pud. I have been lucky all my cats settled in from day one and I am sure yours will be fine :)

Exiting!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:25:09 PM by rosiebee »
2nd April 2011 - married in MN, USA
7th April 2011 - Applied online for Spouse Visa
11th April 2011 - Spouse visa issued
12th May 2011 - Hubby home :)
22nd June 2013 - ILR :) :)

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »
Awww what a lucky cat  :)

Try not to worry too much Kerri I am sure the pud will be just fine. I have had 3 cats which have been rescues (I have 2 of them at the moment). The first time I got one was a few years ago now and I was so nervous. I got Lucy who was 6 at the time and here is a picture of her within a few hours of landing at my home!!

She is also on my profile picture with my other cat Rosie but unfortunately she isn't with us now :( But she was so wonderful. I now have Rosie who I have had for 2 years and Ollie who I got at just 8 weeks old from a shelter (that scared me and his mum had abandoned him!!). Both are indoor cats by the way...

I think just the fact you are so conscious of trying to make it a stress free as possible is something and will surely calm any pud. I have been lucky all my cats settled in from day one and I am sure yours will be fine :)

Exiting!!!  ;D
Oh yay! Thank you for letting me know my feelings are normal... :)

Now to convince the boyfriend we dont need to cut through my lovely oak door to install a catflap, unless its absolutely and totally necessary

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab