Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 186794 times)

What are you reading?
« on: September 20, 2004, 05:37:34 PM »
 Iam reading Vanity Fair right now(good book)I had it on my wish list of books,and was tidying up my bookcase,and there it be standing! :P LOL.

Hubby said its because I have too many bloody books,but you never can have too many (bookaholic speaking)

I have these ordered,but not sure what Iam going to read next.

Mischief by Douglas Clegg

Taliesin by Stephen Lawhead

At Swim,Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill

Angels And Demons by Dan Brown

The Birth Of Venus by Sarah Dunant

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:55:56 PM by UK Yankee »

Re: What ya reading
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 05:39:15 PM »
Angels & Demons is an excellent book.  If you liked The Da Vinci Code, you'll like that one.  Same main character. 

As for me, the only thing I'm reading right now are law books.   :o

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 06:11:11 PM »
Aside from all of my tarot books, I'm reading ""Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England" by Judith Flanders, which is fascinating. 

She's divided the home up, room by room, with a chapter on each-right now I'm in "The Drawing Room" which is good, but "The Scullery" was really interesting-every time I think I'm sick of modern life I will remember the 14 or so hours it took to do laundry, because the water had to be boiled, then poured over the clothes, then the clothes were scrubbed, then rinsed, then rinsed again, and then the process started with the next load-can you imagine washing your sheets that way?  And all of your clothes?  And since you were boiling water on the open fire, you could conceivably scatter ashes all over your freshly washed clothes and have to wash them all over again. 

And then hanging everything to dry, and in winter you hung them inside in the kitchen and it took days for everything to dry, meanwhile the dampness combined with the regular heat of the kitchen made the air thick with steam.   

Ugh.  I'm glad for my washer and dryer, even if I do sometimes hang stuff to dry anyway it's my choice!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 06:20:24 PM »
I just recently finished The Search by Geoff Dyer - easily my fav. contemporary author.... Great book.

I'm also finally getting around to reading Vernon God Little - Booker Prize winner last year. I heard some mixed things about it, but I LOVE it. I think it's witty and smart and a huge page turner....

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:31:24 PM »
Angels & Demons is an excellent book.  If you liked The Da Vinci Code, you'll like that one.  Same main character. 

As for me, the only thing I'm reading right now are law books.   

Ta for the heads up on the book Elle.I loved The Da Vinci Code,so it looks good then for this one  ;)

Sorry hon but just keep telling yourself that all the studying your doing will one day show you the rewards and hopefully mo' money  ;D

""Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England" by Judith Flanders, which is fascinating.

That book sounds really cool  Saf,you know how big of a history buff that Iam so I prob will read it one day myself.

We domestic Goddesses have it made if you think about it! LOL

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 06:56:55 PM »

I just recently finished The Search by Geoff Dyer - easily my fav. contemporary author.... Great book.

I'm also finally getting around to reading Vernon God Little - Booker Prize winner last year. I heard some mixed things about it, but I LOVE it. I think it's witty and smart and a huge page turner....

Well it said The Search was out of print at Amazon,but Geoff Dyer sounds like an interesting writer.

Yep there is a buzz around Vernon God Little,but Iam still in limbo about it myself.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 08:08:06 PM »
Well it said The Search was out of print at Amazon,but Geoff Dyer sounds like an interesting writer.

Actually I got it from Amazon.co.uk not long ago - maybe a month or two? I'd read all of his others and actually thought the Search was out of print - from the look of the cover, they may be re-releasing all of his books with similar looking covers - maybe with the paperback release of Yoga For People Who Can't Be Bothered To Do It.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 01:46:39 AM »
Actually I got it from Amazon.co.uk not long ago - maybe a month or two? I'd read all of his others and actually thought the Search was out of print - from the look of the cover, they may be re-releasing all of his books with similar looking covers - maybe with the paperback release of Yoga For People Who Can't Be Bothered To Do It.

Okies,well maybe the Amazon in the US will have it soon again.My hubby might like The Missing of the Somme,if he could find time to read  ::)

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 11:40:10 AM »
Am reading Robert Stone's Damascus Gate right now. So far, so good. Set in Israel, lots of crazy people. The second coming or end of the world or something.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 11:44:21 AM »
Northern Lights, the first in the His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman.

Fantastic.

And bought my tickets to go see it next March... how the h*** they put it on the stage, I cannot imagine!
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 04:37:06 PM »
Northern Lights, the first in the His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman.

Fantastic.

Iteresting views on is/isnt for teens at Amazon(Bear in mind though Amber has been reading The Executioner's Song,checked out from school,so the "more mature" theme is okies for her)

Your thoughts?  Even if Amber doesnt like the books,I most likely will  :P

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 04:45:17 PM »
 Has anyone read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell yet? I know some ppls who are going to read it.

Sounds good,I just like some more thoughts before I buy.

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 06:37:03 PM »
Iteresting views on is/isnt for teens at Amazon(Bear in mind though Amber has been reading The Executioner's Song,checked out from school,so the "more mature" theme is okies for her)

Your thoughts?  Even if Amber doesnt like the books,I most likely will  :P

LOVE it.  I would recommend it to any kid over say, 11...   it's definitely 'mature' reading; I'd describe it sort of as a HP meets LOTR type story.  It's fantastical, adventurous, involving another universe, an enormous journey, interesting characters, etc.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 06:51:18 PM »
I'm reading Notes from a Small Island... I was feeling a little "homesick" and its made me feel all warm and fuzzy again.

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 08:56:52 PM »
I'm presently reading a Dean Koontz novel: Odd Thomas.  Dean Koontz is one of my favourite authors.  I love his blend of horror/suspence/spirituality/humour.  Good stuff.  :D
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

Sponsored Links