Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 186789 times)

Re: What ya reading
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2004, 06:24:58 PM »
 Well good  ;D Its nice to read books that are fast- paced and colloquial sometimes.

On another note Cait...You know I have The Sunne In Splendour in  my bookcase,and it has been  waiting patiently for me to read it  ;D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2004, 09:44:10 PM »

Is that the unabridged Pepys's diaries?  I've never heard of them having a title before-but I've been looking for a good full Pepys for some time now, so if it is let me know!

Sorry, SAF, it's not. Lots of quotes, though, and the editor does a fantastic job of really bringint Pepys to life (as it were) . A bit too much personal bias by the editor in some sections, but, overall, I was very impressed.  I would definitely recommend it.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2004, 09:46:52 PM »

I can only recommend a fiction book - We The Living by Ayn Rand.  I've lost count of how many times I've read it.  Loved it.

But I won't be offended if you aren't interested in it!  ;)

Wasn't Rand a jewish immigrant from Eastern Euprope? I've never read anything by her (although my curiosity did get the better of me one day and I googled John Galt ;) ) but have always wondered what the hype/controversy surrounding her work was. I might just check it out. Cheers!
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2004, 12:25:22 PM »
I'm now reading 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' by Thomas Hardy.

L.O.V.I.N.G. it!

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2004, 12:27:41 PM »
I'm now reading 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' by Thomas Hardy.

Didn't they do an adaptation of that on ITV not too long ago?
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2004, 12:31:03 PM »
Ooh, I dunno. I only heard about the book from my boss (who was lovely enough to get me a copy).

I don't know if ITV would do a good enough adaptation though. BBC would, I think but ITV?

You know what I really miss, A&E. They did such great movie adaptations of all the classics. Tom Jones anyone? Pride & Prejudice? Brilliant.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2004, 12:53:24 PM »
ITV has done a few period pieces recently that have been pretty good.  I've just Googled it and yes, ITV did do an adaptation of The Mayor of Casterbridge, but the Beeb has done one too.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2004, 03:04:40 PM »
Tom Jones anyone?

I watched it and loved it! ;D

I read the book as well,very hard to follow at times,but I managed :)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2004, 07:31:42 AM »
I have just read two books by John Robbins: Diet for a New America and Food Revolution. The first came out in 1987 and opened a lot of people's eyes to the realities of the meat and dairy industries. The second is the follow up and came out in 2002. Robbins is the son of one of the ice cream magnates Baskin-Robbins, but he turned his back on that empire to become a vegan and environmental activist. Fascinating and enlightening reading.

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2004, 08:23:01 AM »
I just finished reading The Key to the Golden Firebird by Maureen Johnson.  Maureen is a great friend of mine and I LOVED the book!!!  It's for young adults, but I really related to the main character.  It take place in PA and is about three HS aged sisters who lose their father. 

• Liked: 1
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2004, 09:12:25 AM »
i'm just finishing 'billy' Billy Connely's biography written by his wife.

it's really quite good!

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2004, 03:19:48 PM »
I've picked up a bit of light reading:

London, the Biography, by Peter Ackroyd
and
The Field, by Lynn McTaggard (just a light read of meta and quantum physics, and how we're all grouped energy co-existing in the same field of energy that physcially does exist, and therefore we are capable of healing ourselves, etc.)

Both fascinating books.
:)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2004, 02:24:47 PM »

For some reason I'm becoming quite interested in Russian history so might try something along those lines next. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try 'Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia' by Orlando Figes (pub. Penguin Books 2002).
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

• Banned

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2004, 05:11:32 PM »
I am currently reading Astadala Yogamala Volume 1 by B.K.S. Iyengar...I thought I should get started since Volume 4 came out this year and I have 1 through 3 on the shelf!

I would like to read some good fiction, just can't seem to find anything that interests me....
~~ bootlegged, disapproved, excluded, forbidden, hot, illegal, illicit, interdicted, prohibited, proscribed, shut out, smuggled, taboo, unauthorized, unlawful, verboten ~~

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2004, 01:43:06 AM »
I'm about 1/2 way through Decisions of the English Judges During the Usurpation.   It's a summary of cases brought before the English courts between 1655 and 1661.  It was just made available in distributable form this month.  Before this, it was only available through antique dealers, or you had to go to a library and get viewing permission...

It's great, if you like that sort of thing. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 01:48:04 AM by garry »

Sponsored Links