Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: To declaw the cat or not to declaw the cat...the nonexistant cat that is  (Read 3505 times)

• I'm the Brit half...
  • Liked: 0
Re: To declaw the cat or not to declaw the cat...the nonexistant cat that is
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
I love my 2 cats and get plenty of love and hugs from them. BUT I really would advise against a cat if you really don't want scratches here and there on the furniture.
You can try and stop them and there are many ways, but honestly you will get the odd scratches and not to mention odd 'accidents';)

My home is also the cats home and I really can't complain if they act like a cat... :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:08:40 PM by rosiebee »
2nd April 2011 - married in MN, USA
7th April 2011 - Applied online for Spouse Visa
11th April 2011 - Spouse visa issued
12th May 2011 - Hubby home :)
22nd June 2013 - ILR :) :)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
Having a cat (or any pet for that matter) is like having a child. You love them even though they may wreck your house. You love them even though they take over your life. You love them even though they sometimes inconvenience you. It doesn't matter because you love them unconditionally and your life would be incomplete without them.

If you're not prepared to do that and if you don't think you could feel that way, you shouldn't be a pet-owner.

(I don't say this as a personal slur - not everyone is cut out to have a pet and you might be one of those people.)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
I agree with the last two posts. However, I do know that some people just aren't familiar with cats and end up being great owners so do you folks know a good way for someone to safely learn if a cat is right for them? Lots of rescue places do know by the interview if someone is right or not. I am all about the animal but also know animals need great owners. Tricky I know. We have enough hateful people involved in what they ought not be doing (Teachers, nurses, etc.) and that would definitely include 1/2 of pet owners.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »
I do still want a cat by the way. But I think I will wait until I am super sure, and can deal with all the stuff that comes along with cats.

How about getting an older cat over getting a kitten? Kittens can be time consuming and get into all sorts of curious trouble.

We just adopted a 5 yr old cat and she knew the basic rules without any prompting. She figured out her litter tray and her boundaries. Shes still pretty active and has this little toy mouse she goes ape sh*t for.

She does try to scratch (they do it as to make their mark on their home) but we use a squirt bottle out of her eye sight and aim for her feet, so she doesnt know whose done it. This way she shouldnt want to do 'bad' scratching of our settees when we leave her alone in the day, as its like 'God' has been squirting her with water. A scratching post or mat would be ideal to help deter any cat from going near your furniture.

Theres also 'sticky paws' (about £8 for 24 strips) and its clear double sided sticky tape. Just stick it to the parts of the couch that kitty is scratching. Cats dont like the feel of it and once they know its there, they shouldnt go back to that spot to scratch again. Or you can look for softclaws which are like acrylic caps for their nails. They last about a month or so (depending on ofter your cat scratches) and could be another option. Though wouldnt recommend if kitty will be out more than in.

The only trouble we've had in the week we've had her, is when she threw her little mouse down the stairs and headbutted the kitchen door at 3.30am. It swung open and she went right in. The alarm hasnt been adjusted for a pet, and she set it off. Poor thing was sat in the kitchen meowing until I turned it off.

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
I agree with the last two posts. However, I do know that some people just aren't familiar with cats and end up being great owners so do you folks know a good way for someone to safely learn if a cat is right for them? Lots of rescue places do know by the interview if someone is right or not. I am all about the animal but also know animals need great owners. Tricky I know. We have enough hateful people involved in what they ought not be doing (Teachers, nurses, etc.) and that would definitely include 1/2 of pet owners.

This is what the rescue we got Peppa from did. A volunteer stopped by and just asked some questions about why we wanted a cat, how long my other half and i had been together, if we had experiences with animals.. Wanted to know what kinda of cat we wanted (if we wanted one that was super cuddly or super aloof etc) Talked for about an hour or so and said we'd make good candidates for being a cat owner.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
The OP is hardly the first person to consider having a pet but not know much about them. My ex came from a dog family and knew zilch about cats, now he's a total cat lover.

I agree that you need to do more homework and learn about them more. I personally hate that so many UK cats are indoor/outdoor. My cats have always been indoors and if you live near a busy road or troublesome kids, you could be asking for trouble.

But if I'd stayed where my in-laws lived (quite rural) I'm sure I've allowed my cats out some. There are a few cat charities that will not allow you to adopt if you don't plan to let them outside.

As for the litterbox, if your cat does go out, it may not be a big deal. If you keep it inside, see if you can find pine or wood litter. I've had cats all my life and have just switched in the last 4 months and it's been a revelation. We have 3 cats and it controls odor far, far more than anything else I've ever bought.

Here in the US we actually buy it at a farmers' co-op where it's sold for horse bedding. It's also used for pellet stoves. It's cheaper to buy it that way than via the pet stores or grocery stores. There are other litters (flushables, etc) that might work well in a small space, too.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »
A friend of dh gave us his 6 yr old cat  we keep him in doors he is so good , but I put foil around our new couch , then changed to cling wrap so he stoped clawing our sofa and bed that stoped that, he is a loving cat the best ,, if you keep up with the litter it WON'T SMELL

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
I'm wallowing in this cat thread! (:

I would never allow a child to get by with what I allow cats to do.

Yes, if you love cats then you have to have some claw snags and scratches about but it isn't so noticeable. That 2 sided tape is great.

Kerri made great comments.

balmerhon I feel the same about indoor only but I firmly believe that cats need the outdoors for psychological health. I have had both indoor/outdoor and indoor kitties. The wonderful times they have in the garden just do not outweigh all of the dangers. The outdoor enclosures would be OK if you keep up on flea and ticks and they don't allow much stalking and pouncing from behind shrubs and flowers!

• I'm the Brit half...
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 05:45:14 AM »
I agree about older rescue cat, my first one Lucy was 6 when she came home (she is the one on the left on my profile picture!). She was the first cat I had all on my own and as an 'adult' and was a revelation :D I had always thought I was a dog person but Lucy changed my whole outlook. What a star she was, sadly not with us now.

I have since discovered all cats do have their own personalities and I have Rosie who is 3 and quite a sweet but quite neurotic and passive cat, and Ollie who is 5 month British Shorthair rescue kitten and he is as you would expect a 5 month old to be, playful, active and pretty dominant. Poor Rosie at the moment! (Both indoor cats by the way).

I agree with what Blah, Kerri and Balmehron have said previously :)

2nd April 2011 - married in MN, USA
7th April 2011 - Applied online for Spouse Visa
11th April 2011 - Spouse visa issued
12th May 2011 - Hubby home :)
22nd June 2013 - ILR :) :)

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »
Thank you everyone for your posts i'm so sorry I seem to have started it with a controversial issue--I never realized! But i'm actually glad I posted about it because i've learned so much more than I knew yesterday!!

I do love animals but obviously it will be quite an adjustment going from dogs to a cat. I know it is a bit like having children when you have pets and requires alot of new responsibilities and i'm just trying to be as prepared in my decision as possible BEFORE I bring some poor unsuspecting animal into my home! Ha. Anyways, happy saturday!!!

• Mouse Hunting
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
I think if you understand the commitment of owning a dog, then a cat isn't very different. Personally, I think it's easier to own cats than dogs, since they are more independent and require less attention. (Dogs require walking, are generally much more dependent on affection/attention)

Cats tend to be more relaxed. You have to earn their love and trust. Some people really hate that, others find is extremely rewarding.

I love my cats a stupid amount, but they still drive me crazy. They have ruined pieces of furniture, continually tear up my flower beds, always manage to plant themselves in front of my feet whenever I'm carrying something heavy and unwieldy, and seem to always be meowing for dinner.

I also really disagree that you can't have a safe indoor/outdoor cat system. I'm super paranoid about my cats being hit by a car, even in the suburban quiet street we live on. But, we never let the cats out the front of the house, and they don't stray enough out the back to make it onto any roads. We don't let them outside at night or when we aren't home. We also make sure they are up-to-date on all of their shots. Our cats are so much happier when they are allowed outside, which in turn makes for a much happier household.
Dated long distance: 2000-2005
Married: May 2005
Both lived stateside: 2005-2008
Moved to the UK/FLR: May 2008
ILR: May 2010
British Citizenship: January 2012
British Passport: March 2012

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 06:22:48 AM »
I personally hate that so many UK cats are indoor/outdoor. My cats have always been indoors and if you live near a busy road or troublesome kids, you could be asking for trouble.

I completely agree. In addition to kids/cars, we have coyotes and foxes and other natural predators.

But if I'd stayed where my in-laws lived (quite rural) I'm sure I've allowed my cats out some. There are a few cat charities that will not allow you to adopt if you don't plan to let them outside.

Interesting to know. There are several rescue groups in my area of the US who do the exact opposite - if you plan on letting the cats outside, they won't adopt to you.

• Snaps
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »
In my opinion, the whole indoor/outdoor thing hinges on where you live. When I was in the US, I didn't let my cat out - I lived in an apartment on a busy street, and also I would have had to go downstairs to let him in and out so wouldn't have known when he wanted to come in. It didn't make sense to let him go outside.

But in the UK, when I'm home I just leave the back door open all the time and he comes and goes when he wants. We don't have a cat flap and we keep him in at night, but he comes and goes at will during the day. He's MUCH happier, not to mention the fact that the exercise has done him a world of good - he's slimmer and healthier.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
I agree that it very much depends on where you live. I grew up in a rural area (lots of woods and fields, ideal for cats!), but our house is close to the road, which everyone zooms down because there are never any police on it. Our neighbours' cats were constantly casualties of this, and it always upset me when I would see a new cat of theirs sitting outside on the porch.  :\\\'( You would think they would have learned. When we got a cat, we kept her indoors. She didn't miss what she never had and was a very happy cat for the 15 years she was with us.

Also, I think it comes down to how prepared you are financially if something should happen. Outdoor cats sometimes get in fights or get infections that they might not pick up if they're indoors, so if you're not prepared to have to take them to the vet for the occasional scrape, you should probably keep them in.

As for the claws, my friend was a vet tech for a little while and she clips her cats nails. It doesn't make them completely free from causing destruction, but it certainly lessens the chances of major damage. If you are that worried, I'm sure you could go to the vet regularly to have that done.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Snaps
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »
As for the claws, my friend was a vet tech for a little while and she clips her cats nails. It doesn't make them completely free from causing destruction, but it certainly lessens the chances of major damage. If you are that worried, I'm sure you could go to the vet regularly to have that done.

I clip my cat's claws! He lies on my lap like a baby and lets me do it.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab