Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pet moving services US->UK - any recommendations?  (Read 1473 times)

• Liked: 0
Pet moving services US->UK - any recommendations?
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
I'm moving to Manchester from Michigan next month, and I'd like to (eventually) bring my cat with me. Does anyone have any recommendations for pet moving services? And has the change in regulations as of January this year made moving pets any cheaper or quicker? Also, what sort of timeline do these services generally involve, and does anyone have any specific companies to recommend?

Re: Pet moving services US->UK - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »
HI

I can't recommend a moving company but just wanted to let you know that we are in the process of getting our dog into Manchester.  We have done the move under the "old" rules before and this time around will be using the new rules.  I'd say so far the "new" way is a bit easier but the paperwork has to be done right before flying and depending on what else you've got going on may be a bit tight.  However the old way you could do the paperwork early but only had a 24-48 hour window to get their last treatment where this one the treatment can be done up to 5 days in advance.  The no blood test thing is nice though.

I would suggest seeing where you want to have your cat fly from and what is required by the airline as some of them suggest agents then call around for quotes.  Because we are here already we looked into having an agent send our dog but it was almost double in cost than us doing it ourselves.  Also call the airlines and get the prices yourself and then start comparing.

To be honest if you can do it it's not very hard.  The agents we called talked about doing the paperwork, meeting us at the airport or picking the dog up, etc.

As far as Manchester is concerned the animal must be accompanied (we messed up on this) so that may change things as far as prices.  We looked into having our dog come unaccompanied into London but the prices are much different so in the end for the same cost of flying her to London and getting here we could pay for a friend to bring her for us and save the hassle of getting to London and also get a visitor as a bonus.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
Why do you think you need a moving service?  The process is fairly straight forward and can easily be done without an expensive relocation company.

• Fairytale Wedding Planners
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
I haven't made the move yet (June 29th, yay!!) but I'm using PetExpress (866-738-6683) Their customer service has been very friendly and knowledgeable and their price was about $300 less then others I spoke with.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »
Dh & I used Airborne Animals I think they are out Newark but that was Feb 05 so I don't know how expensive they are these days. Dh & I cant get them enough praises they were super helpful & really friendly with us. Good luck with whoever you choose or  even if you choose to do it yourself. ;)  :)

Here is there website & number airborneanimals.com / 908-684-1844

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
Why do you think you need a moving service?  The process is fairly straight forward and can easily be done without an expensive relocation company.

I'm going to be in the UK in something like three weeks. I'm not sure I'll have the time in the US to do everything that needs to be done; I can have the cat stay with a friend and the moving service pick her up for whatever needs doing but I'll need to be in the UK.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 05:26:18 PM »

I'm going to be in the UK in something like three weeks. I'm not sure I'll have the time in the US to do everything that needs to be done; I can have the cat stay with a friend and the moving service pick her up for whatever needs doing but I'll need to be in the UK.

That's the exact reason why we used a Pet relocation service I was already in the UK but my cats were still in the States. ;)  :)

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
Because we messed up with the accompanied/ unaccompanied thing into Manchester I call around as well because we were also already here.  In the end now and for probably the same cost we are just having a friend fly our dog over and getting a visitor out of it as well.  The paperwork really isn't that bad but only if you or have a really good friend willing to do it. 

If you have someone willing to do it you can also look into the cat flying unaccompanied into London but then you'd have to figure out how to get there.  That's why we figured we were coming out the same.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »
Because we messed up with the accompanied/ unaccompanied thing into Manchester I call around as well because we were also already here.  In the end now and for probably the same cost we are just having a friend fly our dog over and getting a visitor out of it as well.  The paperwork really isn't that bad but only if you or have a really good friend willing to do it. 

If you have someone willing to do it you can also look into the cat flying unaccompanied into London but then you'd have to figure out how to get there.  That's why we figured we were coming out the same.

The company we used for a little bit extra they delivered our cats to our door step. ;)  ;D we gladly appreciated it cause it was a Bank Holiday when the cats landed so we were glad we weren't stuck in a car with the cats for over 3 hours with Bank Holiday traffic as well. ;)  :)

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »
Hello, Having just moved from Canada to the UK, we used Animal Couriers UK. They were great. They did everything from arranging the flights to pick and immigration into the UK to delivery to our house in Gloucester. It was quite expenisve but for us well worth the effort. My husband is in the British army, I am American, and we were living in Canada for two years. We brought our cat over and back with us. While it is possible to do all the arrangements yourself, we just found it easier having someone else handle all the details while we got on with our moving back to the UK. All we had to do is fill out the paper work and drop Cleo off at the airport on the Canadian side. They also boarded Cleo since we flew out a few days later and delieverd her to our new house a day after we arrived. Hope this helps and good luck. :)

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »
Apparently Animal Couriers don't service the route I'd need (Detroit->Heathrow). and petexpress quoted me about $2900. That seems about twice what I'd heard it cost, and is rather out of my budget. Or am I deluded here? :/

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 02:35:31 AM »
I am working with Petrelocation.com. Because of our situation we need total door-to-door help with kitty and it will cost 3,800.00. We haven't any choice but this price includes a man driving 70 miles to catch him and take him to the vets three doors away for the microchip and rabies and another trip for for the health certificates. These visits are expensive so maybe it would be more close to 3,500.00 without.

He is flying out a day ahead of us and will be delivered to a lovely cattery where he has to stay until we find a home.

Anyway, this company is great to communicate with but it isn't over until it is over.

Very best wishes to you on this!

Sponsored Links