Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Insurance and Prescription Q's  (Read 2076 times)

• Liked: 0
Insurance and Prescription Q's
« on: April 18, 2003, 09:10:38 PM »
Hi everyone, I have Hashimotos (hypothyroid) and possibly have PCOS.  I am in a major quandry as I am losing my job at the end of the month due to company closing but I am also trying to get to England by the end of June.

I have a monthly prescription for synthroid which I need to get and may have another prescription for the PCOS whatever that may be.

I've read many people saying that Dr.s in the UK are not very up on either disease and my not be sympathetic or even renew my prescriptions for meds for these particular disorders.

Beyond that, do you think I should have paper prescriptions from my drs in the US and can I have them filled in the UK?

Is there some list somewhere of DRs in England who might specialize or be more sympathetic to these diseases?

From what I understand I won't be able to do NHS when I move to england for some time, is this true any further detailed info on coverage of non-citizens who are on spouse visas?

Sorry lots of questions but I've only just been diagnosed and because I am losing my job and US health coverage I'm a bit worried about my medical status.

Thanx for your help in advance.

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
Re: Insurance and Prescription Q's
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 11:10:20 AM »
Hello Phena,

I know this is an old post but thought I might give you some insight into what I have found.  I have Hypothyroid and was on synthroid in the states.  Here in England I take Thyroxine.  It is the equvalent.  Everyone has to pay for their medication here in England which is 6.50 for the perscription except birth control pills.  The good news is that if you fill out a form, which your doctor will give you, all your medication will be free because you have a long term condition.  Hypothyroid is one of the conditions.  

As for PCOS I have just been scanned for it.  I have lost my period and no one is sure why.  I had the ultrasound yesturday and came up fine.  I am glad that I am not polycycstic.  To be honest most doctors really are bright over here.  I have had no issues with any of the doctors in my husband's surgery except one doctor I cannot understand a word he says.  He mumbles too much.  I think it is the same as in the states just make sure you have a doctor who is intelegent and bright.  

I think you will fine that doctors are the same over here as in the States.  If you visit a doctor that is not clear on your condition and you feel he/she is not doing a good job than visit another doctor in the same practice.  If you find you do not like anyone in the practice than ask around for a good one and switch.  But remember you will have to fill out paperwork to get your health number.  Till than to visit the doctor you will pay 25 GBP a visit.  
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 03:09:50 PM »
I came over in September on my Fiancee Visa and haven't paid anything for any doctor visits for me or my boys from day one.  I've been getting my Depo Provera birth control shot like clockwork (brought my medical records from Planned Parenthood with me) and for free.  Filled out the forms at the doctor's surgery and they sent off for our NHS cards for us, which arrived a few months later, I think.  But I never had to pay for any doctor vists before I got the cards - and no one's ask to see them since.  Been to the dentist for myself and the youngest and the eye doctor for the oldest, and it's been so refreshing not to be asked for my insurance information first thing!!   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 01:13:17 PM »
Well here is the tale of my first experience.  We live in Bromley and my husband checked around and said all the GPs are full up and not registering anyone new.

We got an appointment with his old GP from his old neighborhood and I went over there.  However, the information we could find from NHS/DOH is very vague and because my passport says "no recourse to public funds" the receptionist insisted that I had to pay for my visit 20pds every visit.

I spoke to the GP, told her my story, told her about my diseases and showed her what documents I have from my old doctors.  She gave me the prescription for Thyroxine and Yasmine and said I would have to come back every month for a new prescription, which means I have to pay every month.

I took the script round the corner to a local pharmacy and they gave me the Yasmine for free and I paid for the other one.  It's not that expensive works out about the same to what I paid as my co-pay for my Synthroid in NYC.  However, since I am not working it does work out to a bit of cash for me every month if I have to go back plus it's really far away from where we live and not easy to get to.

Do you think once I am working and on NIN I will have to pay for private service anymore? I'm also worried about hosipitalization or emergency care.  Not that I am planning on using those services but you never know when you might get hit by a car.

Thanx for any advice

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 12:27:08 AM »
Ok, l am confused!

Why are you paying to see the Dr? Is this Dr private practice? If not, then you should not have to pay to see the Dr. The NHS is NOT considered public funds! So if this receptionist is making you pay because of this then she is in the wrong!! Demand your £20 back! (Want me to call them?)  >:(   ;D

Anyway, even if you are working you should not have to pay for medical. It's free to anyone who lives here. If you chose to go private then yes you might have to pay. Perscriptions are different, you do  have to pay for them but sheesh it's a small price compaired to the prices we were paying in the states even on co-pay!

All the best, Trish

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 01:53:38 PM »
Ok, l am confused!

Why are you paying to see the Dr? Is this Dr private practice? If not, then you should not have to pay to see the Dr. The NHS is NOT considered public funds! So if this receptionist is making you pay because of this then she is in the wrong!! Demand your £20 back! (Want me to call them?)  >:(   ;D

Anyway, even if you are working you should not have to pay for medical. It's free to anyone who lives here. If you chose to go private then yes you might have to pay. Perscriptions are different, you do  have to pay for them but sheesh it's a small price compaired to the prices we were paying in the states even on co-pay!

All the best, Trish

I was thinking the same thing, Trish, when I read the post.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - NHS IS NOT PUBLIC FUNDS.  The problem seems to be that in the States government funded healthcare would be considered "public funds."  HOWEVER - NHS is for EVERYONE who lives in the UK, regardless of income or financial situation.  You should not have to pay for a visit to the GP.

When I went to our local GP, I filled out the forms for the whole family and turned them in and they sent them on to NHS and we got our cards in the mail.  In the meantime, I did not have to pay for any visits - even though I offered to - because I LIVE HERE.

Trish and I can gang up on them to demand your £20 back!  
:D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 06:48:00 PM »
Well here is the tale of my first experience.  We live in Bromley and my husband checked around and said all the GPs are full up and not registering anyone new.

We got an appointment with his old GP from his old neighborhood and I went over there.  However, the information we could find from NHS/DOH is very vague and because my passport says "no recourse to public funds" the receptionist insisted that I had to pay for my visit 20pds every visit.

I spoke to the GP, told her my story, told her about my diseases and showed her what documents I have from my old doctors.  She gave me the prescription for Thyroxine and Yasmine and said I would have to come back every month for a new prescription, which means I have to pay every month.

I took the script round the corner to a local pharmacy and they gave me the Yasmine for free and I paid for the other one.  It's not that expensive works out about the same to what I paid as my co-pay for my Synthroid in NYC.  However, since I am not working it does work out to a bit of cash for me every month if I have to go back plus it's really far away from where we live and not easy to get to.

Do you think once I am working and on NIN I will have to pay for private service anymore? I'm also worried about hosipitalization or emergency care.  Not that I am planning on using those services but you never know when you might get hit by a car.

Thanx for any advice

Hello Phena_gen,

Sorry but you were given mis-information by the receptionist.  You are allowed free NHS service.  Health care in NOT considered a benefit.  You need to go back to the sergery and fill out the form.  I cannot remember the name of it but it allows you to be a member of that practice.  I would call the NHS hotline and just see who is accepting in your area.  You can dial NHS Direct 0845 46 47.  

Also since you have a thyroid condition you are eligable for free perscriptions.  You will need to fill out the form which the doctor should give you.  They sign it at well and then you mail it off.  You will recieve a NHS Prescriptions Charge Certificate card.  The reason why you will recieve free perscriptions is because you have a medical exemption.  On of the things I love about this country is my doctor's office.  They are all very knowledgable...even the one I cannot understand.  

BTW this is public benefits that you are not allowed to collect:

Public funds include: "Income Support, Family Credit, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit or housing under the Housing (Homeless Persons) Act 1987, Child Benefit, Council Housing, Jobseeker's Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Severe Disablement Allowance, Invalid Care Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Disability Working Allowance as this would constitute a breach of the Immigration Regulations and might result in a refusal to extend your "leave to remain". EEA nationals and nationals of certain other countries with reciprocal agreements can claim Child Benefit, as long as they do not have a public funds' restriction."

Hope this helps

[smiley=daisy.gif]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 06:55:45 PM by MoiNouvelle »
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 07:32:28 PM »
I'm ready, let's go Peedal  ;D ;D [smiley=army.gif] [smiley=army.gif]

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 08:12:32 PM »
Thanx guys well I would be happy to have you all sort it out for me because my husband tried to explain it to the receptionist and I tried to explain it to the GP but they kept saying I had to be a private patient and pay until I had "residency papers" which we explained I would not be able to obtain for two years.

I've gotten the same advice from the other expat forum where everyone insists I'm entitled to care withou having to pay for it, so obviously it's the receptionist and gp's ignorance and lack of concern.

We're going to try and look around locally and find another GP.  I have my prescriptions enough for two months.

Thanks for your support :)

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 08:29:46 PM »

Ok, some advice. When you go in to the next Dr, just go in and say, l want to sign up and don't even mention your passport or what visa you are on. When l signed up all l did was say hi l want to sign with a Dr. and they said ok, no problem. Never mentioned anything else.

And if they do happen to mention paying........tell them you have a few friends who will come and "sort out" the payment for ya!!  [smiley=army.gif]

• smile - especially if it hurts
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 07:00:34 PM »
Thanks for all the advice here.  I am in my first year of being here on a spouse visa and I told my husband I couldn't see the physician.  Glad to know this isn't true.  
Thanks for setting me straight.

Buzzy :D

Sponsored Links