Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to trick kitty into wearing her collar  (Read 2222 times)

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
How to trick kitty into wearing her collar
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Any tips?
We bought her a collar when we got her the other week, and the longest it lasted on her was about 18 hours and was coated in cat nip. Eventually (hoping early April) we'd like to let her out during the day, but I dont feel comfortable with her going out without a collar on. If she likes being outside, we'll need to get a cap flap and we'd have to get a sensor one as theres about 7 cats in our area and I really dont want them in my home as well.

I tried to bribe her for a few minutes with the collar on this morning with not much luck (after I put the collar on, gave her a couple of 'Dreamies' treats). I was trying to take it off her within a minute or so, and she started to snap. Then she tried to get the collar off herself in a dangerous way (letting it catch the corner of a step stool and dragging it until the safety collar broke) I dont want to encourage that behavior either as it could be very dangerous.

Shes been chipped, so if she got out, she can be scanned, but I dont feel comfortable letting her out without a proper collar on :/

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Re: How to trick kitty into wearing her collar
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
Our cats are different ages so I did this twice. well with my cats I just put there collars on let them fuss over it till it wore them out eventually they got used to it sounds cruel but I didn't know what else to do otherwise. I didn't leave them alone while they were fussing over the new collar I didn't want anything to happen to them by all means they are my babies. ;)  :) Our cats are strictly indoor cats as well but still it doesn't feel right them not having collars on them. I guess its a security blanket for us in case they do get out an get lost at least someone knows where they live they are microchiped as well. ;)  :)

Good luck with your kitty & her new collar. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=clover2.gif]

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
I have always just put it on them, supervised them until they got used to it. So did it when I would be home. If they try to take it off, distract them. I wouldn't add cat nip as it would just attract more attention to the column.

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:27:13 PM »
Welp, put it back on again.. Shes in sleeping/napping phase atm, so maybe it will last until tonight. *fingers crossed* shell get used it to it in the next month or so.

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
You may need to try different collars as well. I bought my cat a new collar when he got here (as he came off the plane without any) and the one I'd gotten made him itch and eventually caused a huge bald spot around his neck. I bought him a different collar and he had no reaction.

(Not that your new kitty would be allergic to her collar, but she might prefer a different material/shape. I also agree with above posters that catnip doesn't strike me as something that would encourage her to keep it on.)

Finally, if you plan to let her out in her collar, make sure you get one that has a safety release/stretchy bit (if you haven't already). That way there's less chance of her choking/hanging herself if she gets caught. I think most collars sold these days are safety ones, but best to be sure.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »
Im thinking its a material issues as well. Shes keeping it on for now, but shes mainly asleep in the late afternoon. I thought it might have been too tight, so have made it really lose today.. So who knows.

I did the catnip thing based on a quick google. Wont be doing it again.

I know it was only £4, but I hate to throw away £4 for a collar.. Im going to keep looking for another collar, just limited to pet stores in here Sheffield. Theres Pets At Home, where I initially got her collar from, and Middletons (an independant place that also sells gardening stuf...) Im going to keep looking, everything appears to be safety collars - which Im okay with - so just need to find something that makes her happy.

• British by descent
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:16:53 PM »
You can always keep the collar around and try it again later. If she's not used to a collar she might want something super comfortable to start but then when that one wears out you could re-try this one. My kitty didn't object to his collar that made him bald, but he was clearly miserable in it thanks to its material. (I think it had glitter on it or something - I had very limited choice when I ran out to get one the day before he arrived!)

Good luck. :)

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
Thanks..
She JUST took off her collar, again, but didnt fight it when I found it and put it back on. The moment I did though, gave her a treat.. I really loosened it up, so maybe that was an issue as well. Need to get back to pets at home for more litter, so will see if they have some more basic collars. The one I bought, is just plain with a bit of reflective material on it..

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
My kitty won't wear one no matter what I've tried. The last time I tried she lost sooo much fur around her neck and was really traumatized so I won't ever try again.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

May you find hope in the darkest hours and focus on the brightest days free from bitterness that grows you may not judge the universe.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »
You may need to try different collars as well. I bought my cat a new collar when he got here (as he came off the plane without any) and the one I'd gotten made him itch and eventually caused a huge bald spot around his neck. I bought him a different collar and he had no reaction.

(Not that your new kitty would be allergic to her collar, but she might prefer a different material/shape. I also agree with above posters that catnip doesn't strike me as something that would encourage her to keep it on.)

Finally, if you plan to let her out in her collar, make sure you get one that has a safety release/stretchy bit (if you haven't already). That way there's less chance of her choking/hanging herself if she gets caught. I think most collars sold these days are safety ones, but best to be sure.

Our Siamese has to have a leather these days been that way for years the normal collars for some reason were causing him to have a rash on his neck an he was going bald there from scratching it so much. so I tried a leather collar an haven't had any issues since he started wearing a leather collar. I think his collar is a small thin dog collar he has had it on for so long I don't remember if it actually is a one or not reguardless he hasn't had any issues with it thankfully. ;)  :)

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »
Here she is at the moment.. We'll see if this is still on tomorrow morning

Again, thanks to everyone for their help with me adjusting with Peppa...

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 04:51:02 AM »
I had never thought about collars! We're moving in January--with our cat. He's an indoor cat and has never worn a collar since we've had him. (Adopted at 3 years-old.) I don't think he's going to care for wearing one now, 7 years later! Is a collar mandatory for the flight/entry into the UK?

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »
I had never thought about collars! We're moving in January--with our cat. He's an indoor cat and has never worn a collar since we've had him. (Adopted at 3 years-old.) I don't think he's going to care for wearing one now, 7 years later! Is a collar mandatory for the flight/entry into the UK?
No idea, but we're going to try to encourage her to get out and about (my OH doesnt believe in 'indoor' cats, as theyre not common in the UK) and a collar is needed if shes out.

BTW shes keeping it on, she keeps trying to pull it off, but I just put it back on

• British by descent
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:48 AM »
Is a collar mandatory for the flight/entry into the UK?

I'm pretty sure the airlines won't fly them with a collar on (in case it gets caught mid-flight and they strangle themselves). So you're probably OK without having your kitty used to a collar.

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
Is a collar mandatory for the flight/entry into the UK?

I'm pretty sure the airlines won't fly them with a collar on (in case it gets caught mid-flight and they strangle themselves). So you're probably OK without having your kitty used to a collar.

Equestrianerd is right they don't have there collars on when on-board for the reason she posted cause when we got both our cats to house there collars were attached to there kennels.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab