Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Average Salary Websites??  (Read 573 times)

• Liked: 7
Average Salary Websites??
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
Does anybody know any UK websites that show the average salaries in specific locations for jobs in specific fields?

Say, for example, Biotechnology jobs in London?

I'm working with a recruiter at the moment, who asked my expected salary (which I thought was quite low for my field, education, and past experience, etc).  And then said "yes, that sounds right as long as you're willing to give or take". And then said for one job in particular I should go in for around 4,000 less than what I originally said..Despite the level of responsibility involved and knowledge/experience required.

From my understanding, recruiters take a %age of your wage...so say the company is willing to pay 25,000, he'll take around 4,000 as his "fee".

So yeah, I just wanted to compare what my expectations are with what's the average, to see if I'm being realistic.

TIA!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 7
Re: Average Salary Websites??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »
Doh!  ::)

Just saw the sticky for this same topic!  But none of the links in there seemed to work for me...so my question remains
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »
Glassdoor, you can search cities, companies and job titles.

• Liked: 36
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
Hi,

I agree with Cheesebiscuit on this. There's no 'set' salary level you can expect dependent upon job and location but I understand theres 'indicator' type websites which present data etc.

With the economic turmoil, employers are looking to pay as little as they can get away with, whilst job hunters are looking to get as much as they can. The costs of business, the costs of having an employee and the various legal aspects and requirements means there's less jobs anyway, and salaries have taken a bit of a downward trend as companies look to save costs as much as possible to help them survive.

It's for this reason the example you cite was £4K lower than what you already thought was a low amount you wanted or thought you'd be likely offered. Put simply, there's going to be a substantial amount of other job hunters who won't bat an eyelid at being paid that 4K less and agree to do the job if it was offered to them.

Do check actual job adverts and the salaries posted to get an idea of what actually is being offered, plenty of online job search sites where you can filter and check :)

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

Sponsored Links