Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Swimming in London?  (Read 3384 times)

• Liked: 387
Swimming in London?
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »
I love swimming, and it's the only workout I'll realistically do on a regular maintained basis.  (other than walking to/from work, which I don't think really counts)

Anyone know of relatively affordable places to swim in London?  I checked into some local gyms with pools, and they were wanting about 120 quid every 6 weeks, which I thought was quite pricey.  Even the local community leisure centre wanted 50 a month, and that's WITH a discount I get due to working for the NHS.

Anyone know of any cheaper alternatives?  Or if there are any gyms that offer cheaper rates if you only opt for swimming, and not use of the whole gym?

• Liked: 4
Re: Swimming in London?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:26:04 AM »
Have you looked into the Lido and the Ladies' Pond at Hampstead Heath?

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:57:39 AM »
The leisure centres don't offer pay as you go? I know the one in Bath did.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:12 AM »
Also the Tooting Lido is pretty popular. I think you can do a pay as you go of like 3£/time?
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
I don't know anywhere to swim in this area without paying a high rate. I must say I am shocked at how much local councils expect residents to pay to use community centres. You would think they would WANT residents to stay fit but instead they charge ridiculous rates.  >:(

I hope you find something soon.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »
Swim London is £28 a month, that's what I do and the pools are everywhere, if you just want to use one specific pool, then join gym london and it's only £20 a month :0
http://www.gllonline.org/SwimLondonInfo.aspx
http://www.gymlondon.org/

List of Lidos - http://www.timeout.com/london/feature/1038/lidos-and-outdoor-swimming-pools-in-london

I used to PAYG for the acton town swimming pool, at like £5 a go I think, but it's closed until 2014, you can PAYG at pretty much every council run pool I think

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:07:39 AM »
CB, have you been to a gymlondon gym? Are they like normal commercial gyms with nice equipment? Or is it like the gym at the HS with equipment from 20 years ago? I want to find a gym once I move, but it seems most are crazy expensive! The GLLs look reasonably-priced (20£/mo).
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »
CB, have you been to a gymlondon gym? Are they like normal commercial gyms with nice equipment? Or is it like the gym at the HS with equipment from 20 years ago? I want to find a gym once I move, but it seems most are crazy expensive! The GLLs look reasonably-priced (20£/mo).

Depends on the gym, they're mostly fine but without the fancier stuff you get at high end gynsm so no power plates or juice bars, you can always go check out the ones you want to go to, depends on the council/area you're in of course, the gyms by my office in Soho, nicer but busier than the gym/pool in Acton.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!   :-*

CB, I came across SwimLondon previously in a search; however, no one at my workplace has ever heard of it (and my workplace is pretty full of people into fitness).  How has your experience been with it?

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!   :-*

CB, I came across SwimLondon previously in a search; however, no one at my workplace has ever heard of it (and my workplace is pretty full of people into fitness).  How has your experience been with it?

It's been absolutely fine, someone from my office told me about it as they do it as well :) I like the pool I go to, it's a bit art deco and was rennovated last year, but I might switch to the outside pool in Bloomsbury

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
Lovely thanks; I'll have to have a read and likely, give it a try.  It's certainly the cheapest option I've come across thus far, and the pool I want to use is on the list.  w00t!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab