Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are our chances? G/f US to UK  (Read 1994 times)

• Liked: 0
What are our chances? G/f US to UK
« on: April 21, 2003, 04:48:27 PM »
Im sure this kind of thing has been posted many times before, so forgive me if im asking stuff that has been answered a thousand times already :)

Ok here is my situation:

Im a Brit, 18 years old and living with my mum in England. My fiance, whom I have known for 16 months, and whom i proposed to on new years eve wants to come and live with me. She is 18 years old also and lives in Wisconsin, USA. We will be applying for the Fiance Visa.

We have letters to eachother dated Jan 2002, photos of us together in the US and in Britain, I will have a letter from my employer stating my salary, permanent position etc, bank statements going back to October, a heap of payslips, passports, birth certificates, mums tenancy agreement and a letter from the housing association stating that they have no objections to my Fiance living with us until we can get our own place.

I also have a provisional booking with the Registrar in my town for a wedding on the 12th of August.

In the bank I have about £1500, as it stands my rate of pay is about £6.50 an hour and I work a 40 hour week. (pay slip is usally £900 per month or so)My Fiance, Chrissy, gets about $8 an hour where she works at the momeny, and will have about $1200 dollars when we both go together to see the Consulate in Chicago. Im actually flying out there on Friday the 25th and ill be staying a week, we are planning the trip to Chicago on monday the 28th. I have also already booked her a plane ticket so she can come home on the same plane with me.

Phew, think thats about it :) Now what I want to know is, do we stand a good chance? If not, why not and can we change that? If we dont qualify, can Chrissy still come home with me and what would be the next thing to do?

Any help, advice and answers would be really appreciated, this whole visa thing is a bit scary because I just dont know what our chances are. Thanks for any replies peeps :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 05:35:48 PM by KingBeast »

Re: What are our chances? G/f US to UK
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 10:07:26 PM »
What they're mostly concerned with is that you can support and house her so that she will not draw public funds.  It looks to me like you have all your bases covered.  

If you're turned down (and that seems unlikely if all your paperwork is in order) I see no other alternative save her getting a student or work visa.  Now, I'm not an expert on any of this so maybe some other members can shed more light on the topic.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.  :)

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 07:38:57 AM »
it sounds like you've got everything in order!  i think saffron is right, the money thing is the most important...at least that's my impression.
i'm going to apply for the spouse visa tomorrow morning (tuesday)  i'm so nervous...and i have the exact same paperwork that you have.  if i'm not mistaken, i think for a fiance visa, a receipt for an engagement ring, plane ticket stubs, or any sort of announcements of your engagement will help a lot.  at least that's what other people have mentioned on here.  GOOD LUCK!!!  this is a great site for all kinds of info!
-tracy

• Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 11:17:08 AM »
Sounds like your chances are very good to excellent KingBeast.  :D

While I didn't go the fiance visa route myself, it's all similar, and as was said, it's all about the money. If all your paperwork is in order, there should be no problem at all. I hope one of our resident fiance visa alumni will come along shortly and reaffirm this and make any other suggestions.

Best of luck to you KingBeast, and congrats!  :D

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 12:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the response peeps! (Its me, KingBeast) its really reassured me! I was kind of thinking that money would be the deciding factor, so im just wondering if the amount of money we both have would be considered as enough?

Thanks again, looking forward to going over on Friday :)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2003, 12:37:19 PM by Robatwork »

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 02:51:01 PM »

I also have a provisional booking with the Registrar in my town for a wedding on the 12th of August.

Why don't you change your wedding date to August 13....that's my birthday.    

:)  <---- I just love this bunny-smiley

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 05:04:26 PM »
No disrespect to your Birthday, but I think its best that I avoid the number 13  ;)

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 11:36:36 PM »
August 11 is also an excellent day (it's my birthday!)

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 03:58:41 AM »
No disrespect to your Birthday, but I think its best that I avoid the number 13  ;)

Aww, come on now. :P  My birthday has been on the August 13th ever since I was born  :) and I've not had any bad luck yet (well, except when I married my first husband...what a loser ::) ). Sometimes it even falls on a Friday!  :o  

These bunny smileys crack me up.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 05:00:20 PM »
Getting the visa should be fine, but when you fly into the US (presumably on a visa waiver) make sure you take evidence with you of your ties to the UK. Do not say you have come to get married unless asked. If they find out you are coming to get married, you'll want to be able to prove that you and your wife to be are returning to the U, not living in the US. Proof of your being expected back at work, and the completed UK immigration forms should be good evidence.
Congratulations!

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 05:42:45 PM »
Thank you everyone for your help! We got accepted yesterday, and now i have a nice shiny sticker in my passport!!

The people at the consulate didnt even look at half of the things we brought with us, all they looked at were the passports, application forms, rob's tenancy agreement and the letter from his employer.

They didnt even seem to be that friendly, i think they were just going through the motions.

Something freaky: Saffron your birthday was on the 13th?
the british consulate is on the 13th floor in the wrigley building and our hotel room number was 13 on the 13th floor!!

Thanks again everyone for answering our questions! im sure we'll be back to ask some more!!  ;D

--chrissy (robs fiancee)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab