Hello

Sponsored Links

Poll

Those currently in the UK who are or who were on the family path:  would you (or your spouse) have qualified for a UK spousal or fiance visa under the proposed new rules?

Yes
60 (53.6%)
No
52 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: June 19, 2012, 07:44:06 AM

Topic: Poll: Effect of the new immigration rules on UK-Y  (Read 38377 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Poll: Effect of the new immigration rules on UK-Y
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2012, 06:15:37 PM »
There isn't actually a threshold under the current rules. What they are looking to see is that you have enough to live off without accessing public funds. They decide this by looking at how much UK citizens on income support are given to live off each week after rent and council tax, which is £111.95 for a couple plus £64.99 per child.

So as a couple you would need to show that after paying rent and council tax in the UK, you have at least £111.95 left each week.

For a couple living with parents, not paying rent or council tax and who have no kids, the minimum needed would be only £5,821 per year. But for people with a larger family, who are paying a lot of rent, they might need £30,000 per year to meet the requirements.

Well, I'm not sure I'd class myself as 'well off :P. My base salary is still below the national average, but it's only because I get allowances for shift work and weekend hours that I end up earning a bit more. However, it is a big step up from what I was earning before. My colleagues are often complaining about how crap their pay is (and they earn more than me!) and how they wish they could get a better paying job, so I guess it's all relative :P.

Ah, ok now I understand, thank you. Oh, really? Huh. Well, at least they have a job, even if they think the pay is crap. I don't even have a job right now and when I did have one it was minimum wage. :c  Still managed to save up to $4,000 dollars though not too shabby. Only because I live with my grandmother. But hopefully their pay (and your pay too!) will go up. I think I said "pay" too much.. now it feels weird to say in my head, lol.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2012, 01:32:47 AM »
I emailed my husband's MP in Sussex, as well as other Parliament figures and this is the email I got back. Same response for them all minus the beginning bit of this email Mind you none of the questions I asked were answered....typical politicians going around the answer to a question. 

Thank you for contacting me about immigration.  I am sorry the recently announced changes to UK immigration policies will affect you personally.

The reality is, however, the current rules needed changing in order to be sustainable.  Immigration to the UK has been out of control and the Coalition has introduced measures to bring the numbers down.

The Government has now implemented or announced radical changes in all the main routes of immigration and as a result of all the actions the Government is taking, it anticipates net migration will come down to the tens of thousands.

Making the immigration numbers sustainable is necessary for a successful immigration policy but it is not sufficient. The Government is also developing the principle of selectivity in immigration policy - we need to know that it is not just the right numbers of people coming here but that the right people are coming here. We need people who will benefit Britain, not just those who will benefit from Britain.

The Government's reforms of the immigration system will ensure we are much more selective not only about those who are allowed to come here but also those who are allowed to stay permanently.

I have included a list of some of the Government's immigration reforms that have either already been, or are in the process of being, introduced and which will ensure that, as well as bringing the numbers down, we are rightly selective about those coming to Britain.

You are not alone in being affected by the Government's new measures, the policies below will affect many:

· Permanent cap on non-EU migrants. The limit has not been reached in any month since the cap came into effect so the numbers are falling while necessary skilled workers are allowed in

· Introduced minimum skills requirements so that occupations such as cooks and care workers are no longer eligible for entry

· Closed the Tier 1 General route which allowed self-selecting migrants to come without a job offer

· Reformed the student visa system - the largest route of entry. The reforms include a new accreditation system for colleges, new rules on the standards of English required for students, new restrictions to limit students working and bringing dependants and ending the post-study work route option for all but the very brightest

· Cut the automatic link between coming here to work and staying here permanently. Skilled temporary workers wanting to apply for settlement have to be earning £35,000 a year or the going rate for their job, whichever is the higher

· Strengthened security at our border. The UK Border Force is now a separate command within the Home Office, under Chief Constable, Brian Moore, with a clear focus on law enforcement

· Dealing with many problems with family migration, including abuse of human rights legislation and the ability of people to come to the UK and live off benefits immediately. Stopping taxpayers having to foot the bill for family members who cannot pay their way by setting a minimum income level for those wishing to bring spouses and family here

· Introducing clear criteria to protect the public from foreign nationals who try to hid behind family life as a reason to stay here. Under new rules, deportation should become the norm for anyone receiving a custodial sentence of at least 12 months. For criminals jailed for more than four years, the public interest in removal should outweigh the right to family and private life in all but the most exceptional circumstances

· Making spouses wait longer (five years not two) before they can apply to settle here, to help ensure that their relationship is genuine. This will also have the effect of reducing access to benefits for those who have recently arrived

· Introducing new legislation to ensure registrars are able to refuse to perform wedding ceremonies they know to be a sham

· Rewriting the citizenship test to make sure British history and culture is at its heart

· Continuing to apply transitional controls to workers coming from any new EU member states

· Improving our immigration processes so that they continue to deliver better outcomes. For example, 60 per cent of new asylum applicants now receive a decision in just 30 days. Last year we removed over 4,500 foreign criminals and we now start deportation action on foreign national prisoners 18 months before the end of their sentence

· Each month, 1,000 people who should be refused entry to the UK are prevented from even boarding a plane. This 100 per cent coverage coupled with the strict visa regime means that all non- EEA passengers arriving from outside Europe will be checked once, maybe twice before they enter the UK.

Least I got this much of a response, I got nothing back from May, Cameron or Clegg...not really surprised though.

• just a little whiterabbit
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2012, 01:43:25 AM »
 :\\\'(

• Liked: 26
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2012, 03:12:48 AM »
I no longer appear to have the emails but I had a hilarious conversation with Chris Bryant the Labour MP about fighting the Immigration changes. He basically told me to screw the UK and enjoy the California Sunshine haha!
LTE received: 21 October 2016
Arrived in U.K.: 25 October 2016
FLR(m) extension: 1 June 2019
ILR 2022

• just a little whiterabbit
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2012, 01:50:18 AM »
I no longer appear to have the emails but I had a hilarious conversation with Chris Bryant the Labour MP about fighting the Immigration changes. He basically told me to screw the UK and enjoy the California Sunshine haha!

Seriously, if that was his response to you, then that is pathetically sad.

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2012, 10:57:30 PM »
I have been dating, on and off, an English music producer who runs his own business. We met in the US, lived in both LA and Miami together at which point his visa expired and he was sent home. He has always been the one.

Three years later, now, we have reconnected and want to be together. I want to move from FL to Manchester. His income isn't high enough to support the new requirements, and neither is mine. I suppose asking for a financial gift to support the rules is an option, but who really gives someone $30k these days???? 

I am realizing in reading this feed that the process is very demanding and stressful and I'm honestly not sure a move will ever happen. I know I can fight through, but have a feeling its completely out of reach. I feel deflated.

« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2012, 06:44:01 AM »
Well, I think this new law SUCKS!

I've been with my Welsh husband for SIX YEARS, we've been married for Four. He had to move home to take care of his mom, and we couldn't get approved for a visa (under the old laws), because he didn't have permanent work.

The welsh economy isn't the best, so it took him a year and a half to get on permanent with his current employer. We thought we were fine. He bought a in October, and we started making the plans to apply for the spousal visa.

Now, we find out about this wonderful new law. My husband earns 13,200 GBS per year working TONS of overtime. The income is fine for South Wales, as the cost-of-living isn't that high.

I think it's ridiculous that married couples aren't grandfathered in, under the old laws. 

I think it's a total violation of human rights to say only people who earn a certain income are allowed to fall in love and be married. It's not like, we looked at the visa requirements, when we dated and said.."Well, we don't qualify, so nevermind!" We were married LOOONG before these laws came into effect.

This is just devestating. Who has 16,000 GBS in savings? That's an absurd amount of money needed in savings.

I can't believe they couldn't find other criteria for establishing whether or not someone would be a detriment to the British taxpayer (milking the system). I could easily supply tax records showing that I've worked since I was fifteen years old (36 now). Obviously, I'm not one to sit on my ars* and claim government benefits.

This is insane.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
Well, I think this new law SUCKS!

I've been with my Welsh husband for SIX YEARS, we've been married for Four. He had to move home to take care of his mom, and we couldn't get approved for a visa (under the old laws), because he didn't have permanent work.

The welsh economy isn't the best, so it took him a year and a half to get on permanent with his current employer. We thought we were fine. He bought a in October, and we started making the plans to apply for the spousal visa.

Now, we find out about this wonderful new law. My husband earns 13,200 GBS per year working TONS of overtime. The income is fine for South Wales, as the cost-of-living isn't that high.

I think it's ridiculous that married couples aren't grandfathered in, under the old laws. 

I think it's a total violation of human rights to say only people who earn a certain income are allowed to fall in love and be married. It's not like, we looked at the visa requirements, when we dated and said.."Well, we don't qualify, so nevermind!" We were married LOOONG before these laws came into effect.

This is just devestating. Who has 16,000 GBS in savings? That's an absurd amount of money needed in savings.

I can't believe they couldn't find other criteria for establishing whether or not someone would be a detriment to the British taxpayer (milking the system). I could easily supply tax records showing that I've worked since I was fifteen years old (36 now). Obviously, I'm not one to sit on my ars* and claim government benefits.

This is insane.

I agree 100% - totally unfair.  They're pretty much forcing people to come in illegally.  Good luck!!

• Brooklynite By Birth. Geordie By Choice!
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
I understand why the UK made the immigration laws tougher, but why do they insist on screwing honest, hardworking couples, who just want to settle in, and contribute to the UK way of life?

The new laws totally messed up our plans. Hmm?!?!...I could do the Entreprenurial Visa, but I'd have to kill myself & save like a bastard, inorder to pony up $360,000 into a UK bank account.

Hang in there guys! This stinks for all of us!

« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
I understand why the UK made the immigration laws tougher, but why do they insist on screwing honest, hardworking couples, who just want to settle in, and contribute to the UK way of life?

The new laws totally messed up our plans. Hmm?!?!...I could do the Entreprenurial Visa, but I'd have to kill myself & save like a bastard, inorder to pony up $360,000 into a UK bank account.

Hang in there guys! This stinks for all of us!

My husband asks why anyone would be a geordie by choice.

;D ;D

• Liked: 26
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2013, 06:08:20 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted but just wanted to alert everybody that Monday was the first hearing at the House of Lords by the APPG family migration inquiry.

I haven't listened to the audio from the session yet but I was encouraged that these guys got at least two hearings to state their case for the rules to be changed

http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/meetings/family-migration-inquiry-oral-evidence-session
LTE received: 21 October 2016
Arrived in U.K.: 25 October 2016
FLR(m) extension: 1 June 2019
ILR 2022

« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
My husband asks why anyone would be a geordie by choice.

;D ;D

My guess he's a Mackem? Better dead, than red! ;)

« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »

My guess he's a Mackem? Better dead, than red! ;)

He is!!

I wish Newcastle and New York were the same thing!!

« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »
Oh my God! You've got to be kidding?!?! He's from Sunderland? LMFAO!

« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
Oh my God! You've got to be kidding?!?! He's from Sunderland? LMFAO!

Yeah, we live in between Durham/Sunderland.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab