Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London Temp Agencies  (Read 1147 times)

• Liked: 0
London Temp Agencies
« on: April 23, 2003, 04:42:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of job-related posts on this site; I was just wondering if anyone could recommend specific temp agencies in London that are helpful ... I thought that jumping into temping would be relatively easy but I'm having a hard time even getting them to bring me in for an interview.

My husband and I relocated to London four months ago from San Francisco.... I've just discovered this site and I've really enjoyed reading a lot of the posts. I've laughed, I've cried... ;)

Thanks, all

• Garden Butterflies
Re: London Temp Agencies
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 05:25:53 PM »
Hello Alison,

Nice to meet you and welcome to UKY.  

I can not help you with Temp agencies as I am not in the UK yet...and will be following same route with going to them myself.  But I do wish you much luck... from what I have seen here, they are the best way to go over there.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 12:56:18 PM »
Welcome to the site Alison. :)

I can't help with agencies question, sorry. I'm sure someone will recommend some soon.

How have you found your first four months living here? :)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 04:28:59 PM »
Hiya,

Welcome to the site.

May I suggest www.officerecruit.com for finding an agency in your area?

The best nationwide agencies that I've found are Office Angels, Pertemps and Adecco.

I prefer local agencies only because they tend to be smaller and much more pleasing to their clients. But that's just my opinion.

From my experience with temp agencies, I've found that you have to keep reminding them that you're there. Keep calling them. This keeps your name in their minds when they're looking for a worker. You want to stay on top of their pile to get the best jobs. So I called at least once a week until I bugged them into an interview. If you're getting the run around from an agency to even come and sign up then you're better off going to another company. If they can't take the time to meet you, they probably won't be good at getting you a job.

Join Monster.com. I've had a couple of agencies contact me because of my cv on the site.

Go to every agency you find. I didn't do this in the beginning, so I relied on just one company and they really screwed me over. So I went to every recruitment company in the LS1 area (Leeds city centre). The response was immediate. I would get calls about jobs 2 to 3 times a day.

Good luck with it all. I'm sure you'll do fine. They love our accents.  ;D

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 01:51:39 PM »
Wow, thanks, Ashley, for all the tips. I really appreciate this. I just signed up with Monster last week and received a call back from a recruiter after applying for just one job I saw on there. I had an interview on Friday, so we'll see. I don't even care if I get the job or not - it was just great to finally interview!

Leah - sorry I didn't answer your question sooner - I was away this past weekend visiting my in-laws in Galway. The past few months in England have been quite a challenge, but also a real learning experience. I had no idea it would take me so long to settle in here. My husband was offered a transfer to the London office of his company for 18 months; he's been working nonstop ever since. I discovered this website by accident and it was such a relief to read the posts from others who have struggled while settling in. I've been so hard on myself since we got here and I think I've eased up a little. Moving to a new city, let alone in a new country, is a huge challenge. You're not going to feel like you "fit in" overnight - it takes time.

Thanks for asking! And thanks again for the advice on the agencies... :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab