Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Register Office Weddings  (Read 4332 times)

• Liked: 7
Register Office Weddings
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »
Do you get the marriage certificate on the day??

I'm booking a ceremony for the 6th/7th of July, in hopes of submitting my FLR(M) before the change over to new rules.

So, as proof/evidence of our marriage, we'll obviously need to receive the marriage certificate on the day...Is this how it works??

TIA!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 0
Re: Register Office Weddings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
If I recall correctly, we got one on the day and the extra one that we ordered in the post a few days later. We were married in Sheffield, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I think it might be wise of you to ask with the register office as they will be able to tell you with 100% accuracy--you don't want to be caught out for lack of a wedding certificate!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »
We got both copies on the day to take home :) You sign it then and there and they give it to you. I'm pretty sure that's commonplace  :)

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
Yup. On the day. I needed it for the in-person spouse application two days later.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »
It sounds like you're currently in the UK on a fiance visa. In that case, you won't fall under the new rules after July 9th anyway, as you applied for your first visa in the family path before the rules change. So there's no need to rush with the FLR(M) application.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
No, the OP is on a post-study work visa.  So she does need to get things done by 9 July.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
No, the OP is on a post-study work visa.  So she does need to get things done by 9 July.

^ What she said.  Thanks anyway, Neuf; and Thanks geeta!

I'm still holding my breath, thinking it's not going to work out for one reason or another...since I still couldn't get through to the person in charge to actually book the available ceremony time on the 6th.

So it worst case scenario comes, and we don't get married in time---apart from 3 extra years of extra hassle, rule changes, having to meet certain income criteria (which isn't a problem right now, but could be if the boy's contract isn't made permanent), and whatever fee increases occur over the course of that time-- Does anyone know anything else that could come our way that I've not considered yet??

Also, for those of you lovely people who also had Register Office weddings-- What's it like? I was planning on wearing perhaps this dress, with a white shrug overtop, but does this seem appropriate? I wasn't entirely sure; I expect the boy to wear his normal office attire. Gosh, I guess I should start looking through this site and others to see what's typical! 

Also, since I'm not sure if we want to tell anyone close to us (apart from our parents) that we're already married (He wants to get a chance to actually propose to me, and celebrate with all our friends and family in a "Renewal Ceremony" when we're ready for it.)-- What's the best way to get two witnesses? I feel a little weird about it if our witnesses are strangers, but am still not sure if I want anyone I actually know to know we've been married... Guess I'll have a look around on here :)
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
Just wanted to say congratulations and good luck, PS!  :)

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »
Also, for those of you lovely people who also had Register Office weddings-- What's it like? I was planning on wearing perhaps this dress, with a white shrug overtop, but does this seem appropriate? I wasn't entirely sure; I expect the boy to wear his normal office attire. Gosh, I guess I should start looking through this site and others to see what's typical! 

Also, since I'm not sure if we want to tell anyone close to us (apart from our parents) that we're already married (He wants to get a chance to actually propose to me, and celebrate with all our friends and family in a "Renewal Ceremony" when we're ready for it.)-- What's the best way to get two witnesses? I feel a little weird about it if our witnesses are strangers, but am still not sure if I want anyone I actually know to know we've been married... Guess I'll have a look around on here :)

The dress is lovely.

I personally wore a little broderie anglaise dress from Miss Selfridges and my husband wore cords and a checked shirt and no one batted an eyelash. I think people wear a range of clothing styles to a registry wedding, and I think it generally errs on the side of casual for people who get married for official reasons (I mean those who are going to do something more meaningful later.)

I found the ceremony full of mock gravitas and, for me personally, didn't feel very meaningful at all. We chose not to include any readings or ring exchange so it was really bare bones. I tried not to laugh through it to be honest. It did what it was supposed to do and for that I am glad! :)

At one point my SIL's now husband lived near a registrar office and I know she was asked by random people on more than one occasion to be their witness as she was walking past it. :) So that's one way to do it!

Best of luck and congratulations! :D
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
^ What she said.  Thanks anyway, Neuf; and Thanks geeta!

I'm still holding my breath, thinking it's not going to work out for one reason or another...since I still couldn't get through to the person in charge to actually book the available ceremony time on the 6th.

So it worst case scenario comes, and we don't get married in time---apart from 3 extra years of extra hassle, rule changes, having to meet certain income criteria (which isn't a problem right now, but could be if the boy's contract isn't made permanent), and whatever fee increases occur over the course of that time-- Does anyone know anything else that could come our way that I've not considered yet??

That dress is lovely!

I'm doing a register office wedding on June 30th. I'm wearing a royal blue cocktail dress with silver shoes and silver pashmina (if it's cold). DF is wearing a suit. We're exchanging rings and I'll have a bouquet and DF will have a boutonnière. Whether all that is appropriate for a registry office wedding, I don't know, but it doesn't bother me because it's our day.  ;D Anyway, while we we're going to celebrate later on in a more formal way, we wanted this to be as special as possible because it's still going to be our wedding day and it will only be our "real" wedding day once. Honestly, I don't think it really matters as long as you're happy. It's your day! Do what you want.

Regarding witnesses, the register office told us they could provide two witnesses if we could not provide our own, so it's worth seeing if they'll do that for you.

Congratulations! I hope you can get it all sorted out in time!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:30:03 AM by PlainPearl »

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »
Just wanted to say that dress is super pretty. :)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »
Just wanted to say that dress is super pretty. :)

Thanks everyone :)

I got it last July when I visited a friend in Albany.  It was a $100 dress marked down to something silly, like $15, at The Limited.  I still haven't had a reason to wear it, but at the time, I thought it would be crazy not to buy for such a steal!  So I'm glad I did :) now I just have to get it out of storage at DB's mum's.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 03:38:37 AM »
I got married at a the Ealing town hall, which frankly is one of the most beautiful buildings in London, imo. Take a look: http://www.ealing.gov.uk/info/200316/venue_hire/185/ealing_town_hall

Maybe because of how grand the bldg is we didn't see it as just a "registry wedding". I'd see wedding parties outside taking photos in full on wedding attire - big white dress, bridesmaids, the whole 9. Mine, well I was in a borrowed dress and a shawl my mother knitted for me in the plane over. DH was in the same suit he'd worn to 2 funerals. It was the best we had and frankly, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Best. day. ever!

Forgive me for saying this, but even if you renew later, you really only get one wedding - so enjoy the hell out of it!

Oh, and definite score on the dress.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
dels, ealing was the first place we checked, since that's where we live. Unfortunately they didn't have any appointments to give notice until July 13th. :(

I called all around Monday morning, and we gave notice today in Nottingham, and will be wed on July 6th! I did meet up with a friend afterwards, and she and her fiance will be our witnesses. so I am kind of looking forward to it; now we just have break it to our parents...

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
I'm in Ealing too, and we looked at Ealing town hall, but in the end went for Old Marylebone town hall which was gorgeous, I didn't see my registry office wedding as less than a big wedding either, I had my nieces as bridesmaids and wore a giant dress, had flowers, big vintage red bus. I don't care, it was lovely! Also if it was good enough for Paul McCartney, it's good enough for me  ;D

I saw a whole range of styles and dresses, some very simple others all giant meringues, there was a lovely mix of people :) I think that dress is absolutely lovely so just relax and have a great day! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab