Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dual citizenship, never lived in US  (Read 1413 times)

• Liked: 0
Dual citizenship, never lived in US
« on: April 24, 2003, 11:07:14 PM »
Hi I have dual US/UK citizenship (my mum is American) but have never lived in the US (although I have visited many times). My husband and I are considering moving to the States in the future (he is Brazilian) and I wondered whether anyone knew how complicated/straightforward this would be.

Has anyone had any simialr experiences?

Also, I am a little worried about changing my US passport to my married name (we got married just over a year ago) in case they take it away from me. Tell me this will not be the case! ;D

Thanks   ;D

• Liked: 24
Re: Dual citizenship, never lived in US
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 12:33:07 PM »
I can't comment on the first part really, other than to say that it seems getting a spouse into the US is not terribly easy, at least not as easy as it is to get into the UK. I think there are some discussions about it on the Repatriation board. You need to have x amount in assets and a big pair of scissors for all the red tape.  :-/

As for the last part, I can't imagine them taking away your passport. You don't lose citizenship unless you intend to, by renouncing it, or other treacherous behaviour. I wouldn't worry about it at all. 99% positive on that. :D

• Chris Hansen's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 01:48:49 PM »
Hi I have dual US/UK citizenship (my mum is American) but have never lived in the US (although I have visited many times). My husband and I are considering moving to the States in the future (he is Brazilian) and I wondered whether anyone knew how complicated/straightforward this would be.

Has anyone had any simialr experiences?

Also, I am a little worried about changing my US passport to my married name (we got married just over a year ago) in case they take it away from me. Tell me this will not be the case!

You are not in danger of losing your US citizenship unless you renounce it explicitly. They will not take your passport away if you change your name on it. In fact, it would be a good idea to do this now, before moving to the US, so as to give some evidence that you are married to the US in an official way.

If you wish to move to the US you will find that the US is pretty hard-nosed about letting in foreign spouses. You'll have to convince them that you can support him, that you didn't marry him in order to ease his immigration into the US, and that sort of thing.

Good luck,

Chris Hansen http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 07:50:35 PM »
You can have your passport amended by going into the consulate with the appropriate paperwork (ie, passport, proof of who you are, marriage certificate) and they will stamp your passport showing that it has been amended to your married name.  If you want to have it totally changed then they will have to reissue one, not sure on the procedure for that one as I haven't done it yet.  ;)
Hope this helps.
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

Sponsored Links