Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I need to File?  (Read 1069 times)

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
  • Liked: 0
Do I need to File?
« on: September 29, 2004, 08:00:19 PM »
I did not work at all in the USA in 2004.  I moved to the UK in February of 2004, got married in July and started working in the UK this month.  Do I need to file a US tax return?

Thank you for your help. I'm useless at this stuff.   

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
Re: Do I need to File?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 01:05:26 AM »
I don't think you have to file unless you make more than X dollars a year, but it never hurts to do so.  They won't tax your UK income until you make over 65K (I think...maybe less now) so you don't have to worry about that.  Check out irs.gov for the particulars...

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 06:04:30 PM »
As a US Citizen, you are taxed on your world wide income regardless of where you work. THerefore if your income (US or UK) is more than the combinations of your standard deduction (depends on your filing status) and personal allowance, then you will need to file a return.

Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:35:25 PM »
Thank you for the info! 

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 05:24:28 PM »
I have been in the UK for 3 years haven't had to file a USA tax return but then I need to file an affidavid of support to get my husband into the USA.  Can I use my UK P40's for the affidavid of support?

Michelle

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 06:03:50 PM »
Do you mean P60?
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 09:12:25 PM »
Not to repeat myself - but I will.

You need to file US tax returns for the years you haven't filed.  You cannot submit the application to the Embassy to move to the US w/your UK husband without tax returns.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 02:36:05 PM »
Yes I mean a P60 and before I meant a P45.  I am in the process of filing my tax returns so I can send in the affidavit of support for my husband's immigrant visa. 

When filing the tax returns do I use the information on these forms to specifically report my non-taxable income in the UK? 

Any advice on where to get help in the UK on completing my back taxes other than the IRS office at the embassy?

Many Thanks, Michelle

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 03:45:43 PM »
The affidavit of support requires that you include your tax returns for the past three years.

Seeing that you have P60s and P45s, I assume that you had income to report, and therefore need to file a tax return.  P60s and P45s are not a substitute for a tax return.

However, there are income limits for filing and if your income is below the income limit for your filing status, you are not required to file a tax return.

Do you think that your income is below the limits, which is why you are saying it's non-taxable?

The IRS at the Embassy has tables showing theseincome  limits.  I would recommend that you contact them directly and get a copy of the tables.   The IRS also has a form letter that explains this, which you can obtain.

If you are below the limits and are therefore not required to file, the Affidavit of Support requires that you write a letter explaining why.

I was the US sponsor for my Brit husband when we did the DCF filing.  I'm also a full-time housewife and had no income to report and therefore, I did not file taxes.  For our interview, I had the form letter from the IRS (explaining income limits) , the tax tables and the explanation letter from myself.  This was sufficient. 

But, I am NOT a tax expert; just somebody who recently repatriated and the above is based on my personal circumstances.  I strongly urge that you contact the IRS and determine your own filing status.

I hope that this makes sense.  Best of luck.
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 03:45:25 PM »
Thanks alot, I ended up going to HR Block and they sorted out everything for me.

Cheers for your help.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab