Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cats: Folklore and Superstitions:  (Read 8280 times)

Cats: Folklore and Superstitions:
« on: September 30, 2004, 03:47:08 PM »
Cats: Folklore and Superstitions:
The Cat as a Soothsayer ~
Cats can forecast the weather: they predict the wind by clawing at carpets and curtains; rain is highly likely when a cat busily washes its ears.
In mythology, the cat was believed to have great influence on the weather.
Witches who rode on storms took the form of cats.
The dog, an attendant of the storm king Odin, was a symbol of wind.
Cats came to symbolize down-pouring rain, and dogs to symbolize strong gusts of wind. This may be
    where the phrase "it's raining cats and dogs" originated

Some people believed that if a cat washes its face and paws in the parlor, company's coming.

If a cat continually looks out a window on any day, rain is on the way.
Some cats can predict earthquakes (actually, there is some truth in this "folklore").

When a girl living in the Ozark Mountains received a proposal of marriage and was uncertain whether to accept, she folded and placed 3 hairs from a cat's tail into a paper under her doorstep. The next morning, she would unfold the paper to see if the hairs had formed themselves into a Y or N before answering her suitor.

Sailors used cats to predict the voyages they were about to embark upon. Loudly mewing cats meant that it would be a difficult voyage. A playful cat meant that it would be a voyage with good and gusty winds.

Some people believe that cats are able to see the human aura, the energy field that surrounds each of us.
Dream of a tortoise shell cat and you will be lucky in love.
Dream of a ginger cat and you will be lucky in money and business.
Dream of a black and white cat and you'll have luck with children.
Dream of a tabby and you will have luck with your home.
Dream of a multicolored cat and you will have luck making friends.

If early American cats sat with their backs to the fire, the owners knew it foretold a cold snap.
A cat sleeping with all four paws tucked under means bad weather is coming.
Some people believe that cats may be able to see the specter of death.
If a cat washes behind its ears, it will rain (no doubt this superstition began in some very rainy country!)
If you find a white hair on a black cat, you will have good luck.

One Roman dream interpretation was that dreaming of being badly scratched by a cat foretold sickness and trouble.
French peasants thought that black cats could find buried treasure, if they followed a specific ritual: find an intersection where 5 roads connected, then turn the cat loose and follow him.

Tortoiseshell cats were believed to be able to see into the future and could give the gift to a lucky child in the household.
Sailors believed that if a cat licked its fur against the grain it meant a hailstorm was coming; if it sneezed, rain was on the way; and if it was frisky, the wind would soon blow.
Sacred cats kept in a sanctuary in ancient Egypt were carefully tended by priests who watched them day and night. The priests interpreted the cat's movements - twitch of a whisker, yawn, or stretch - into a prediction of an event that would happen in the future.

The Pennsylvania Dutch place a cat in an empty cradle of a newlywed couple. The cat was supposed to grant their wish for children.
In Scandinavia, the cat stood for fertility.
It was a popular belief that cats could start storms through magick stored in their tails - so sailors always made sure that they were well-fed and contented.

The Hindu believed the cat was the symbol for childbirth.
Harming a Cat:
If you kick a cat, you will develop rheumatism in that leg.
If you are a farmer and kill a cat, you can expect your cattle to die mysteriously.
If you drown a cat, you will fall victim to a drowning.

Sailors believed that the worst possible cat-related act, guaranteed to raise a storm and bring bad luck of all sorts, was to throw the cat overboard.
Some people who wanted to get rid of a cat but were afraid of the consequences went so far as to hire professional feline "hit men."

To end even one of a cat's 9 lives was to risk being haunted by that particular cat for the rest of the murderer's life.

Cats and Luck:
English schoolchildren believed seeing a white cat on the way to school was sure to bring trouble. To prevent the bad luck, they were to spit or turn around completely and make the sign of the cross.
Charles I, King of England, owned a black cat that he felt brought him luck. He was so afraid of losing it that he had it guarded day and night. As it happened, the day after the cat died, the King was arrested.
A cat sneezing is a good omen for everyone who hears it.
Dreaming of a cat is sometimes regarded as a sign of bad luck in the future. On the other hand, American folklore has it that dreaming of a white cat is good luck.
In France, it is believed that if you find one white hair on a black cat, Lady Luck will smile upon you.
In Yorkshire, England, while it is lucky to own a black cat, it is extremely unlucky to come across one accidentally.
In the early 16th century, a visitor to an English home would always kiss the family cat to bring good luck.
In the Dark Ages, a cat was mortared, while still alive, into the foundation of a building to ensure good luck to the inhabitants.
Fishermen's wives kept a black cat at home to prevent disaster at sea.

Meeting a Cat:
If a cat ran ahead of a sailor to the pier, it was believed that would bring good luck; if the cat crossed his path, it would bring bad luck.
Cats were often kept on board ships to bring good luck. If a sailor was approached by the ship's cat it meant good luck, but if the cat only came halfway, it meant bad luck would befall the sailor.
It is bad luck to see a white cat at night.
In Ireland, having your moonlit path crossed by a black cat was thought to foretell death in an epidemic.

In France, there is a superstition that it is bad luck to cross a stream carrying a cat.
When you see a one-eyed cat, spit on your thumb, stamp it in the middle of your palm, and make a wish. The wish will come true.
In Normandy, seeing a tortoiseshell cat foretold death by accident.
Cats and the Sick, Dying, and Dead:
At one time, people believed that fur and blood drawn from various parts of the cat's anatomy cured all ailments.
Early American colonists believed that a broth made from boiling a black cat would cure tuberculosis, but no one wanted to risk the bad luck that would befall them if they killed the cat.

A common folk cure for a stye on the eyelid was to rub it with the tail of a black cat.
In Transylvania, if a cat jumps over a corpse, the corpse will become a vampire.
Early Christians believed that if a cat sat on a grave, the buried person's soul was in the devil's power.
Another belief was that if two cats were seen fighting near a dying person, or on the grave shortly after a funeral, the creatures are really the Devil and an Angel fighting for possession of the soul.
In 16th century Italy, people believed that if a black cat lay on the bed of a sick man, he would die.

However, they also believed that a cat will not remain in the house where someone is about to die - if the family cat refused to stay indoors, this was a bad omen.
Immigrants from Scotland believed that if a cat entered a room where a dead body was in state, the next person to touch the cat would be blinded. Therefore, the cat in such situations was immediately killed.
If a funeral procession encountered a black cat, they believed another member of the family would soon die.
The folklore that a cat has 9 lives possibly came about because #9 is the "trinity of trinities" and was considered lucky.
A cat has 9 lives. For 3 he plays, for 3 he strays, and for the last 3 he stays. (an American and English proverb)

Cats and the Afterlife:
In Japan, there is a myth that cats turn into super spirits when they die.
According to the Buddhist religion, the body of the cat is the temporary resting place of the soul of very spiritual people.
Some people believe that cats engage in astral travel even in life. They also believe that if a cat adopts you, it will stay with you forever, even after death.

Cats as Sacred Beings:
King Osorkon, of the twenty-second dynasty, placed a white cat in the center of a magnificent temple and ritually endowed it with supreme power.
During excavations in the ruins of Tell-Basta (the former Bubastis), a graveyard with 300,000 mummified holy cats was discovered. Though many were sent to England and sold as fertilizer, a few were sent to museums.
Mohammed cut off the sleeve of his robe rather than disturb his cat from resting on it.
A Thai legend tells of cats that guarded a temple from Burmese invaders. They saved the temple treasure, a golden goblet belonging to the Buddha, by hooking their tails around it and not letting go. This accounts for the kink at the end of the tail of almost all Thai cats. Anther story is that when a certain princess went to bathe and gave her rings to a cat to guard, it kinked its tail so they wouldn't fall off.

Cats and Witches:
Norse legend tells of Freya, goddess of love and fertility, whose chariot was pulled by two black cats. Some versions of the tale claim they became swift black horses, possessed by the Devil. After serving Freya for 7 years, the cats were rewarded by being turned into witches, disguised as black cats.
Traits associated with cats include cleverness, unpredictability, healing and witchcraft, since in ancient times it was believed that witches took the form of their cats at night.
Folklore has it that if a witch becomes human, her black cat will no longer reside in her house.
It was largely in the Middle Ages that the black cat became affiliated with evil. Because cats are nocturnal and roam at night, they were believed to be supernatural servants of witches, or even witches themselves. Partly because of the cat's sleek movements and eyes that 'glow' at night, they became the embodiment of darkness, mystery, and evil, possessing frightening powers.

If a black cat walked into the room of an ill person, and the person later died, it was blamed on the cat's supernatural powers.
If a black cat crossed a person's path without harming them, this indicated that the person was then protected by the devil.
Often times, a cat would find shelter with older women who were living in solitude. The cat became a source of comfort and companionship, and the old woman would curse anyone who mistreated it. If one of these tormentors became ill, the witch and her familiar were blamed.
Miscellaneous:

In the 1500's, houses had thatched roofs - thick straw, piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the pets... dogs, cats and other small animals, mice, rats, bugs lived in the roof.  When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof.  Hence the saying, "It's raining cats and dogs." (Related bit of trivia: There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could  really mess up your nice clean bed.  So, they found if they made beds with big posts and hung a sheet over the top, it addressed that problem. Hence those beautiful big 4 poster beds with canopies.)
In ancient times, a criminal's punishment sometimes including have his tongue cut out; the tongue was fed to the King's pets. Hence, there is some historical truth to the phrase "cat got your tongue?".
Domesticated cats are not mentioned in the Bible.
According to legend, the 'M' marking on the forehead of the tabby cat was created by the prophet Mahomet as he rested his hand lightly on the brow of his favorite cat.

An American superstition: When moving to a new home, put the cat in through the window, not the door, so that it will not leave.
According to legend, cats were created when Noah's ark became infested with rats. Noah commanded the lion to sneeze and out came a cat!
http://www.moonbeamgarden.com/March%202004%20Newsletter.htm#~ Animal Savvy ~

Re: Cats: Folklore and Superstitions:
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 06:25:03 PM »
Very interesting, Rhia!  Thanks!

I just wish I wasn't allergic to cats, because I love them.  :-\\\\

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 12:09:42 AM »

Your welcome hon  :)

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 12:25:42 AM »
Just two more to add---

1) Feed your cat before leaving for the Church on your wedding day to ensure a life of happieness.

2) Cats "steal the breath/life" of new babies, so best not to have them around
    (This "old-wives-tale" is believed to have come from cats "suffocating" babies.  The "idea" is that the cat smells milk on sleeping baby's breath, starts licking at the lips and baby can not breath, therefor dies.  Idea two is that the cat, looking for somewhere warm to sleep, finds comfort a bit too close to sleeping baby's nose/mouth and baby can not breath...when Mom finds baby dead later, and the cat is right there, the conclusion is that the cat stole the baby's breath...)

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 04:57:34 PM »
 I havent heard of the wedding one but have the steal the  breath one.

Remember the movie Cat's Eye?  [smiley=curtain.gif] LOL

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 05:01:54 PM »
Well, here's a business idea for some enterprising entrepreneur:  cat covers for cribs.  Should be mesh-y like (allow air circulation) and adjustable to fit all to cribs.

I saw some of these in the US, but couldn't find anything comparable in the UK.  We had a devil of a time keeping the cat out of baby's crib.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 06:00:47 PM »
Just two more to add---

(This "old-wives-tale" is believed to have come from cats "suffocating" babies.  The "idea" is that the cat smells milk on sleeping baby's breath, starts licking at the lips and baby can not breath, therefor dies.

This is also a myth. A cat's mouth is not big enough to completely cover up the mouth and nostrils of a human baby.  Perhaps in olden times, some babies died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome; not knowing of a cause, the cat was blamed. 

I have also never heard of a cat smothering a baby.  I have heard of cats sharing cribs with babies, being extremely protective of them.  They are mammals, and often develop maternal (or sometimes paternal) instincts toward the new baby in the household.  If the baby suddenly had difficulty breathing, the cat would probably sense its distress and try to warn other members of the household.   A newborn kitten is much, much smaller than a newborn human, and the kitten doesn't have any trouble snuggling up to its mum and other siblings.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 06:06:59 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 11:22:19 AM »
Cats RULE!   :D

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 01:22:23 PM »
When my oldest was young we had a cat that slept in the crib with him.  No worries about it - he protected that little boy and treated him like a king!  If anyone else walked past, the cat would just swipe for no reason - but that child could yank his tail and pull his fur and he'd just take it!

Cats do seriously RULE!  ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 02:37:00 PM »
When my oldest was young we had a cat that slept in the crib with him.  No worries about it - he protected that little boy and treated him like a king!  If anyone else walked past, the cat would just swipe for no reason - but that child could yank his tail and pull his fur and he'd just take it!

Cats do seriously RULE!  ;D

We would also find our black and white, Pepsi, at the foot of Aillidh's cot when she was younger (before she could chase cats!).  She would just curl up in there and sleep.  Our daughter has always awoken cheerfully, so sometimes we don't hear her right away, but Pepsi would meow her head off to let us know the baby was awake.  Pepsi still goes into her cot to sleep, but now it's so she gets some peace!

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 07:49:19 AM »
I couldn't praise cats highly enough. They're beautiful, sleek, clever, affectionate but not sycophants...

That "cat sucking the breath from a baby" myth is really annoying, and some people still believe it, which is baffling. My mom told me that when she had her first child (my oldest brother), her cat, whom she'd had when she was single and brought into her marriage as part of the package deal, guarded him fiercely. She also, like a lot of cats, was incredibly patient with him when he was a toddler: he'd pull her tail, or lie down on top of her, etc., and she didn't so much as swat at him, much less hiss.

I've had several cats over the years, but the very first one, when I was a kid, was a very bad-tempered Persian/Himalayan mix. She was beautiful (didn't have that smashed-face, grumpy look that purebred Persians have), but you didn't dare pet her anywhere but on the top of her head, or she'd bite and lay her front and back claws into you as if she was out to kill. I made the mistake of picking her up one day, and she swiped at my face--I closed my eyes in time, but she got a claw stuck in my eyelid (I can't begin to tell you how much that hurt), and she was already agitated and pissed off, squirming a lot, so it was almost a surgical procedure to slowly and gently take her paw in hand and remove her claw from my eyelid. She was an overall nightmare, especially for a first pet, and the only mean cat I've ever had. But I have to give her credit in this regard: My family was very dysfunctional (constant arguing, shouting, name-calling). She didn't seem bothered by it, but on a couple of occasions, when she was in my room and I got really upset (loudly crying--sobbing, I guess you'd say)--she jumped on my lap, put her paws on my head, and start licking my face. She was spayed and had never had kittens, and she was normally such a b*tch, but somewhere, deep within her, I guess a maternal, caring side came out, because she was obviously trying to calm me down/soothe. Again, that happened several times, but she was her usual vicious, out-to-maim self normally. Anyway, every other cat I've had since then has been a sweetheart, but those few times she tried to soothe me were enough to make me overlook all her usual nastiness through the years.

Incidentally, on another link, I've advocated keeping cats indoors. Puff (the stupid name I gave the first cat when I was a kid, because she had long hair) was an outdoor cat. She was about 10 years old when I went to college/uni, and I got the bad phone call on the dorm line one night. She'd been sleeping in the back yard the previous night (and mind you, my parents had a fenced-in yard, the fence about four feet high), and a doberman jumped over the fence and attacked her. By that time, we also had a dog (a collie/beagle mix, of all things, but very pretty), and she was out in the yard at the time. She went ballistic with barking and a brief fight ensued, from what my parents heard (there were three cats in the household by then, all of whom brought out the protective collie in her), which alerted my parents. They turned on the back lights to see the doberman jumping back over the fence, and Puff was lying in the yard, still alive and breathing, but not moving. They called their vet, who met them at the clinic. The doberman had broken her back and she was paralyzed (inoperably/permanently), so the vet recommended putting her to sleep, and that was that. An outdoor cat attacked in her own fenced-in yard. (The same dog jumped the fence a few weeks later, and my oldest brother happened to be there--our dog went off, they turned on the sundeck lights and saw the doberman doing a runner, my brother ran out the front door, saw the owner standing in the street, and said, "You should have that dog on a leash. He already killed one of our cats, and has come back for the others. If I see it again, I'll kill it." Needless to say, the man never walked his dog down that street again.)

Another tale: I'd picked up a stray my senior year in high school. Fleetwood (as in Fleetwood Cat--I was very into Fleetwood Mac at the time) stayed with my parents while I was in college (he and Puff were buddies, as in she deemed him fit to tolerate :)), and they didn't want to let him go after I graduated, so I figured fair was fair and let him stay with them, although I was militantly against the outdoor-cat deal. Sure enough, he disappeared one day (didn't return home at his normal 11 p.m. time), and my parents put up fliers all over the neighborhood offering a reward for his return. He was a hard cat to miss--a tabby-striped, gray Manx (no tail). A couple of weeks went by, and a woman my parents often saw when taking their evening walks told them she thought she'd seen him asleep by a curb. It was fall, and a lot of leaves were curbside, but my parents went to the area where she said she'd seen him, and he was partially covered by leaves and looked as if he was sleeping. He was dead. The vet did an autopsy on him and said he'd been poisoned (a massive dose of poison), and he couldn't say what it was but thought it was deliberate. So my guess is that he pissed someone off due to his prolific bird-killing, and whoever it was poisoned him. (Wow, sorry to hijack this space with sad cat stories, but I just can't emphasize enough how important and sensible it is to keep cats indoors--I know all the arguments for letting them be free/"do their own thing," etc. That's fine, if you don't care how long they're around. If you want to give them a taste of the outdoors, get the videotape titled "Video Catnip." They'll sit in front of the TV, mesmerized by 20 or so minutes of close-up shots of squirrels scurrying across a field, birds perching on a limb and then taking off, goldfish, mice, etc. Not only that, but they also might start walking around the TV, trying to figure out how to get to the creatures, batting at the screen, jumping on top of the TV and looking down at the screen, etc. In fact, there's a warning (for humans :)) at the beginning of the video that it might be wise to remove anything fragile from the top of the TV and the immediate surrounding area. So get them some catnip, have them invite a few friends over, put on the tape, and you have a cat party. Just be sure to take their keys so they have to spend the night and don't get caught prowling or hunting under the influence.

Anyway, cats DO rule, and long may they live!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 10:43:12 AM »
Cats can forecast the weather: they predict the wind by clawing at carpets and curtains;

So I guess it'll be windy FOREVER where I live?? lol

[attachment deleted by admin]
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 01:59:59 PM »
Willie is gorgeous! Reminds me of Tiffany whom I left in the states :(

I don't advocate keeping cats outdoors, and I am a bit saddened by the fact that my cats when we move to Nevada, will be forced to stay indoors (coyotes, etc).

However, as the following link proves, spending time outdoors lets them do things they wouldn't normally do.......like sparring with mice!! LOL 

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/grneyesntx/detail?.dir=298f&.dnm=cc9e.jpg&.src=ph

Cats rule........dogs drool!!!!!!!!!!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 06:14:16 PM »
Willie is gorgeous! Reminds me of Tiffany whom I left in the states :(

Was she a little pudge-muffin, too?

Sorry you had leave her ...  :\\\'(
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links