Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can i volunteer?  (Read 2658 times)

• Liked: 0
Can i volunteer?
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:47:06 PM »
while on the fiance visa, am i allowed to volunteer? cause i was going to do that with a cat shelter in Fife, but not sure if im allowed to

• Liked: 2
Re: Can i volunteer?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:59:22 PM »
Unfortunately not, volunteering is considered 'unpaid' work, and work of any kind is not allowed under a fiance visa.

Once you have switched from the fiance visa to FLR (M), you can work/volunteer.

By the way, congratulations on getting your fiance visa. I've been following your other posts, and I can't believe how much you had to go through to get it, but you never gave up! I wish you and your partner a very happy life!  :D
2006: Met DH to be in London
2006-2010: LDR, with one year spent in UK in post-grad school
2010: Moved to London on Tier 1 PSW visa
2011: Engaged
2012: Married
2014: ILR Approved at PEO Croydon
2015: I'm finally British!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:54:06 PM »
Unfortunately not, volunteering is considered 'unpaid' work, and work of any kind is not allowed under a fiance visa.

By the way, congratulations on getting your fiance visa. I've been following your other posts, and I can't believe how much you had to go through to get it, but you never gave up! I wish you and your partner a very happy life!  :D

damn :( and thanks :) shows with alot of hard work you can get anything your heart desires, you cant give up

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »

I have been following the posts too and I can't believe that Im not able to afford a first class ticket and I got a visa but they gave the OP such a hard time who can afford it.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:11:37 PM »
I have been following the posts too and I can't believe that Im not able to afford a first class ticket and I got a visa but they gave the OP such a hard time who can afford it.

lol i didnt end up getting first class as it was gonna be too expensive, almost $2,000 due to it being summer time. but i got a plane ticket for $745 which was nice :)

• Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 06:57:36 AM »
Hey Caitlin
Where in Fife are ya? There is a great cat shelter near me so was just wondering what one you are talking about  :)
Its Sunny Harbour thats near me.. they do lots of great work and always needing help.  Shame you can't volunteer tho.. Stinks to wait.
Ohhh by the way im in the Kirkcaldy/Dunfermline area of Fife :)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »

lol i didnt end up getting first class as it was gonna be too expensive, almost $2,000 due to it being summer time. but i got a plane ticket for $745 which was nice :)

$2000 first class is very very cheap, regardless of the time of year.

• I made it here, so far so good!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
$2000 first class is very very cheap, regardless of the time of year.

I agree! Caitlin, would you mind saying what airline that price was on?  I live in Scotland also and a flight from the East Coast of the USA (I think you're in CT?) to here for that price would be awesome to find! Best of luck, Scotland is a great place to live :)
Moved from Washington DC to the Orkney Islands November 2007
Received ILR October 2012
Received UK Citizenship April 2014

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:54:16 PM »
Hey Caitlin
Where in Fife are ya? There is a great cat shelter near me so was just wondering what one you are talking about  :)
Its Sunny Harbour thats near me.. they do lots of great work and always needing help.  Shame you can't volunteer tho.. Stinks to wait.
Ohhh by the way im in the Kirkcaldy/Dunfermline area of Fife :)

thats the rescue i was and plan on doing when i can :D and Dunfermline is where me and Denise are going as well, it looks like an amazing place to live and i cant wait to move there!!

I agree! Caitlin, would you mind saying what airline that price was on?  I live in Scotland also and a flight from the East Coast of the USA (I think you're in CT?) to here for that price would be awesome to find! Best of luck, Scotland is a great place to live

i dont really remember i think that was priceline.com but dont quote me on it, i got my other ticket through Vayama.com, but this place is good for cheap tickets as well: http://www.tripadvisor.com/CheapFlights?geo=186525&travelers=1&cos=2&nonstop=no&airport0=JFK&nearby0=no&airport1=EDI&nearby1=no&date0=20120904&time0=anytime

• Liked: 26
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Forgive me for asking but how will they know, or how will anybody find out you are volunteering?

I have a friend who volunteers for charity shops and he's on JSA (I think it' still called that - basically the "dole") and they don't take any information from him or report it to anybody. He just shows up and goes home after a few hours..?

Is there an actual legal way to volunteer?

Edit:
Nevermind, ksand24 said this in another thread:
Unfortunately not. It is illegal to carry out any kind of work in the UK without a visa giving you permission to work. This includes paid or unpaid work, as an employee or a volunteer, for a UK company or remotely for a US company.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:12:54 PM by KarlR »
LTE received: 21 October 2016
Arrived in U.K.: 25 October 2016
FLR(m) extension: 1 June 2019
ILR 2022

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
Forgive me for asking but how will they know, or how will anybody find out you are volunteering?

Well, I guess they won't necessarily know, but if you are found out, there can be serious consequences. We have seen people be refused entry to the UK in the past because the IO has discovered they did something as seemingly innocent as babysitting for a friend on a previous visit to the UK.

In the case of illegal working or volunteering, the worker/volunteer can be arrested, and possibly removed from the UK and banned for 10 years, or if not banned, it can seriously affect their ability to get another visa in future.

If the employer is found to be hiring illegal workers, even volunteers, they will be fined £10,000.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 11:47:30 PM »
Well, I guess they won't necessarily know, but if you are found out, there can be serious consequences. We have seen people be refused entry to the UK in the past because the IO has discovered they did something as seemingly innocent as babysitting for a friend on a previous visit to the UK.

In the case of illegal working or volunteering, the worker/volunteer can be arrested, and possibly removed from the UK and banned for 10 years, or if not banned, it can seriously affect their ability to get another visa in future.

If the employer is found to be hiring illegal workers, even volunteers, they will be fined £10,000.

:o well i will just have to wait until i get a spouse visa

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »
I volunteered and worked in a charity shop for months on a tourist visa....in fact my manager at the charity shop wrote out a letter for me to be considered for my spousal visa. I don't think any agency will turn away volunteers....

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
I volunteered and worked in a charity shop for months on a tourist visa....in fact my manager at the charity shop wrote out a letter for me to be considered for my spousal visa. I don't think any agency will turn away volunteers....

Much like many other aspects of every day life in the UK, some volunteer organizations do not know anything about what you are or are not allowed to do on your visa. The UKBA is quite clear in this case that you are not allowed to volunteer while on a a tourist visa, and it is up to you to be aware of the conditions of your visa, not up to people who you want to volunteer for. Just because they are happy to have your help doesn't mean that you may get in trouble with the UKBA for doing so.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
The volunteer agency also risks a massive fine for having someone volunteering for them that doesn't have proper work clearence.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab