Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hey! My name is MaryJeanette  (Read 1208 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Hey! My name is MaryJeanette
« on: April 26, 2003, 09:59:06 AM »
Hey I'm MaryJeanette and I am from Chicago, IL.  I am looking to be an expat also.  Lookin' forward to hearing from y'all.  I especially would like to hear from Twier whom I believe is also from chicago.  Talk to yall again, now. Bye!!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Hey! My name is MaryJeanette
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 01:23:16 PM »
Tell us more! You left us having with so many questions. (Like, a Chicagoan does not say "y'all" so where are your roots and where are you heading?)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Yay! I'm going home!
    • Batchelor Family Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 01:27:56 PM »
Hi MaryJeanette,

I am Melanie from San Antonio TX.  I am living in Southampton England, at the moment.  I married a brit in 1999 and have remained here ever since.  We will be moving back to the states next summer.  Where are you residing at?  Any kids?  We have just one little boy who is 2.5 yrs old.  He is a handful.  Well I hope to hear from ya.

MelanieB
timeline:
3 May - I-130 mailed
16 Jun - DS230 mailed
13 Jul - NOA received
15 Jul - Interview on 17 Aug
17 Aug - Got VISA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 02:03:21 AM »
Hey again!  Thank You LisaE and MelanieB. for your reply.  I am indeed an African-American Chicagoan who grew up with very southern parents.  My Father was from Ripley, Tennessee; and mom, from Leflore County, Mississippi.  So LisaE, I grew up with "y'all" throughout my household jargon.  I am living still here in the "Windy City" as it is known and caring for a senior parent. Actually, I live right in the heart of the city, yet not too far from the suburbs.  I am 36 years old and was born and raised here.  My professional backround is in Veterinary Science.  I am a Laboratory Veterinary Assistant; and have been for the past 16 years.   I didn't have any formal Univesity training for it.  Although I have had two years of college.  I love bible study, sewing, window shopping, Borders' Bookstore (hence, reading); period films; music vocal and world history.  I am currently "foot-loose and fancy free" with no children.  However, I do hope to marry and have children still.

I live very close to a suburb west of Chicago, called Oak Part.  I wouldn't mind living in or "just a foot" outside of London.  Any suggestions?  I have friends who are native Londoners, of whom I both went to school with and worked with that told me how life was there.  I have to say, it sounds pretty exciting.  I would like to return to University and am wondering if anyone could tell me what are the best ones there.  If I really like London, or any other part of its neighboring towns and cities I would like to put down roots there.  LisaE, I hope I've answered your questions thoroughly and MelanieB tell me of your experience with moving.  Do you miss the States or do you like it there?  Anyways, I'll chat with you later, Signing Off, Bye!!  

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 08:36:16 AM »
Ever since I was a little girl, I have always wanted to live in England. Certainly a large part had to do with the Beatles; I mean, how could Paul even ask me on a date if I wasn't in spitting distance? Then, as I grew older, my interest went on to other groups, but I never lost my desire to live in England. Don't ask me why I was fixated; it was just there. In my blood, perhaps?

Last night my husband and I went driving around. He likes to take all the side country roads and we found several beauts this time. The sun was setting and the sun-filled countryside exploded with color. All shades of greens and bright yellows, browns...the rolling hills spotted with sheep and cows, and small villages seen in the distance, each with a church mast sticking up our above all the thatched-roof cottages. As the sun went down, the sky background filled with bursts of bright pink and magenta.

Spring in England is just about the most glorious time.

Come back to earth, MaryJeanette!  ;D
Not everyone who has moved here is happy. My theory on this is that you have to have the dream inside to begin with. Come visit. Then visit again if you liked what you saw, and take a look at universities. If you plan to get a formal Vet education here, you've probably picked a really great field to be in. Vets are big here. I don't mean, like, physically huge. Look at authors like James Heriott "All Creatures Great and Small"...dog trainers like Barbara Woodhouse "walkies! walkies!" (she lived just down the road from me!)...TV shows like "Animal Hospital" and "Vets in Practice". The British love their animals...and their Vets.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 07:34:04 PM »
LisaE has covered it all...as usual.  ;)  She's a fount of useful tips that one.  ;D

Heya MaryJ, I've been to your city um 3 times now lol!  (We fly from O'hare.)

I hope you do get to come over here, and I hope it's a dream come true for ya.

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 10:06:47 AM »
I do tend to ramble  :-/

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2003, 03:05:27 AM »
Dear LisaE:
Honey, ya see how much I luuuuv my computer don't you.  Thank you very much for sharing your story.  Sorry, for the delay in my reply.  I cannot say that I have had the dream for as long as you have.  But, I can say that it's in my soul (If you will).  And has been for the last 6 or 7 years.  Funny, how life takes ya.  I actually am planning to visit several cities in Europe. Believe it or not, I done quite a bit of research of other places such as Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, and Paris.  But somehow I still feel drawn to England.  After looking at all these cities and even searching out how civilian life is, talking with natives, etc., I still am pretty sure its England I want to live in.  Like a lot of folks here in America, I liked Princess Diana; and also like most of the world was sad at her passing.  Lisa, I soul-searched and soul-searched, and soul-searched again.  BELIEVE ME!! That's not it either.  I will not be there to chase the royals.  My heart always falls back to the same place.  Tell me how was it when you first moved? Talk to ya later, MaryJeanette
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 03:11:57 AM by MaryJeanette »

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 03:25:05 AM »
Dear wench (girlfriend, what-a-name!)
Thanks for your reply, as you can see, I don't type on my computer everyday.  But I am soooo looking forward to a vacation in England, honey, I don't know what to do.  I don't just want to see London, but the country side as well.
Anyways, stay a cool Englander. MaryJ

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 09:13:29 AM »
Tell me how was it when you first moved?

I was torn...being totally excited to be in this really impressive country /and/ wondering if I had just made the biggest mistake of my life and realizing it wasn't an easy thing to say "nevermind, that was stupid, I'm going back."

I would have lost everything I spent my entire life working for if I quit then. So I stayed. And things gradually got better. And now I can say hand-on-heart this is more than the life I dreamed of.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 02:22:33 PM »
Dear wench (girlfriend, what-a-name!)
Thanks for your reply, as you can see, I don't type on my computer everyday.  But I am soooo looking forward to a vacation in England, honey, I don't know what to do.  I don't just want to see London, but the country side as well.
Anyways, stay a cool Englander. MaryJ

ye gods, sorry to be so slow in responding sweetie.  :)

glad you like the nickname lol.  ;D

um, duh, just noticed you posted this TODAY LOLOLOL.  So mebbe not so slow in responding.  ;)  hehehe.  I swear I'm gonna change my name to ditz.  :P

LisaE...I wasn't being sarcastic!  You are a font of useful knowledge!  Honest!  :)

Anyway, I'm going back to surfing and pretending I'm awake now.  hehehe
wench

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 10:27:12 AM »

LisaE...I wasn't being sarcastic!

Oh, I know!  [smiley=hug.gif]

But I wasn't kidding...I do ramble!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 02:56:55 AM »
S'ok, you ramble, I babble...between the two of us we've got the conversations covered.   [smiley=devilish.gif]
wench

Sponsored Links