Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How can I find good shoes here!?!?!?!  (Read 3399 times)

• Liked: 0
How can I find good shoes here!?!?!?!
« on: August 31, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
This is more of a rant. I cannot seem to find decent fitting shoes here at a decent price! I've really been needing a few new pairs of boots and flats. The shoe situation here is driving me crazy.

I am a size US 10, which usually is a EU 41 or a UK 7.5. It seems like they just don't do half sizes here. I've been to every store I can think of at the shopping centre and in town and I cannot find shoes that fit me right. I try on a 7, too tight. I try on an 8, way too big. Not to mention most of the time when I am at the shop and see a pair of shoes I like, they are only left in sizes 4, 5, and 6. It's as if every store only stocks one or two pairs of bigger sizes and they sell out right away. I saw that Clarks does half sizes but I generally don't shop there/ cannot afford it. I did see a pair of boots there but they were £99.99!!!! Is this REALLY my only option here? I am looking for prices £45 and under.

I've been to Debenhams, TK Maxx, New Look, River Island, Next, Dorothy Perkins, Miss Selfridge, Topshop, ect(These are my main options in town). I've covered pretty much every shop that carries shoes in my town and other towns I've visited. I don't want to order online either.

Does anyone have the same problem/any suggestions? I feel like trying to find shoes here is like going on a treasure hunt.

I just want to go to Nordstrom Rack  :\\\'(

• Liked: 3
Re: How can I find good shoes here!?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
My friend wore a US 10 and she had a really hard time finding shoes.  I think Marks and Spencer does half sizes.

I'm not keen on shopping online either, but it might be your only option. Have a look at ASOS.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
Yep, you are likely going to have to order online.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »
In the US I wear either an 8 or 9, and normally here I wear around a 7.

I've had good luck with Clarks, but, like you said, they can be expensive.  I recently bought these, in a 6.5.  They're super comfy with cushy soles, and come in wide width, too.  Below is their description:
Width fittings

The width of your feet is as important as the length when it comes to finding the right pair of shoes.

For women, Clarks' adult styles come in a standard D fit. In addition, we also offer a selection of wider styles in an E fit or EE fit.
For men, Clarks' adult styles come in a standard G fit. In addition, we also offer a selection of wider styles in an H fit.
For boy's and girl's we offer a choice of fits from D to H.

To me, it's worth it to spend the extra bit of money to have good quality, comfortable shoes that don't hurt my feet.  Sorry I'm not more helpful...
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
My friend wore a US 10 and she had a really hard time finding shoes.  I think Marks and Spencer does half sizes.

I'm not keen on shopping online either, but it might be your only option. Have a look at ASOS.

I guess I didn't think about ASOS for shoes. My main problem with ordering online is that most retailers make you pay to ship it back...and most of the time, I end up sending things back. It is a perk that they do free returns.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
My main problem with ordering online is that most retailers make you pay to ship it back...

In that case, Javari also does free UK returns, up to 365 days from the date of your original purchase.

*Edited to add: Some of the shoes are designer, and therefore outrageously expensive, but on the left, there's a scroll bar to adjust/search by price.  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:32:10 PM by PickledSakura »
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
Yeah, I think online retailers are finally copping on to the idea of free returns.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
I've had good luck with Clarks,

Me too!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
Not that they're the best quality, but I seem to remember New Look carrying half sizes. Not necessarily on all of the styles, however.

I am a US 8 and I always had trouble as well. Sometimes a 6 would fit depending on the brand, but usually it was slightly too big and I needed a 5.5.

I just don't get why there is this weird sizing discrepancy. I always sort of wondered, in those frustrated moments at the shop 'Are British women's feet just totally different from American women's feet?! How can that be possible?! This doesn't make any sense!'  :P  ;D
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »
I always found that following EU sizes led for a better fit than the US/UK conversion.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
Marks and Spencer, Clarks, Jones the Bootmaker, all online. Also Amazon.co.uk.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
I usually buy from Clarks (size 9 US, size 7 UK, wide fitting).  Also Evans carries wider fitting shoes as well but not half-sizes.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
I usually buy from Clarks (size 9 US, size 7 UK, wide fitting).  Also Evans carries wider fitting shoes as well but not half-sizes.

Isn't that funny because I also wore a 9 in the US, but generally find 7 to be too big.  I'm a 6.5 and also often struggle to find half sizes.  I look for sales at some of the nicer shops, but I've struggled with shoes here and find them to be much more hit and miss than they were back home.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »

I just don't get why there is this weird sizing discrepancy. I always sort of wondered, in those frustrated moments at the shop 'Are British women's feet just totally different from American women's feet?! How can that be possible?! This doesn't make any sense!'  :P  ;D

I thought we had decided this was true in a similar thread a few years back? It certainly makes sense. The UK has, until recent decades, a more "pure" genetic pool, whilst the US is genetically quite diverse. It makes sense that we have different foot shapes.

For the scientists:http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/8112275/reload=0;jsessionid=cKraz5F5IGWcmhpfqjHm.12] [url]http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/8112275/reload=0;jsessionid=cKraz5F5IGWcmhpfqjHm.12[/url]

Isn't that funny because I also wore a 9 in the US, but generally find 7 to be too big.  I'm a 6.5 and also often struggle to find half sizes.  I look for sales at some of the nicer shops, but I've struggled with shoes here and find them to be much more hit and miss than they were back home.

This is me exactly! My solution has been to buy shoes in the US when I go home. It feels very decadent buying multiple pairs and it feels expensive at the time, but it saves me buying shoes here only to find they don't really fit after the first wearing and having to chuck them.  :-\\\\

The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
Marks and Spencer, Clarks, Jones the Bootmaker, all online. Also Amazon.co.uk.
The only pair of heels I own come from Jones the Bootmaker. Theyre so comfy, I could actually lightly jog in them, in order to chase down a taxi that refused to wait for me!

Sponsored Links