Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Starting to consider ...  (Read 1239 times)

• Liked: 0
Starting to consider ...
« on: April 28, 2003, 07:15:48 PM »
Hi!  My name is Ricardo and I am starting to consider a relocation to London (Guildford) through my company.

Lot's of questions, of course ... but for now, I am interested in getting thoughts, examples, etc, on putting together a good employment contract.  Anyone know of any examples on the web?  What are some key things I should look for?  What do I need to make sure to include?

Thanks for your help!

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Starting to consider ...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 12:27:51 AM »
I'm a bit confused. Are you looking for information on how to set up a CV or a contract?  Because you don't create an employment contract, the company does.

However, if you're looking for information on how to set up a CV to UK standards I recommend this site: http://www.alec.co.uk/cvtips/ . It has a lot of useful information and most of all, it's FREE!

I found this site when I needed to create my cv. Apparently, it's different from a resume. Only thing I found different is that you have to put your age.  ::)

I hope you find it helpful. If I didn't get what you're asking about, I apologize. But ask away if you have questions. Everyone on this site is very willing and able to help.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 12:56:19 AM »
I'm a bit confused. Are you looking for information on how to set up a CV or a contract?  Because you don't create an employment contract, the company does.

Sorry, let me clarify.  

I understand that the employer will put together a contract for me, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.  As part of the contract, what all should be included?  Are there items that should be part of a "package" that I should fight for (ie: return trips to US, clause for what happens if company closes down, probationary/trial period, etc)?

Thanks!

RW

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 10:59:09 AM »
Ah, okay.

What do you do? If I may ask.

In a contract, you just want the regular stuff. Make sure they put down the correct salary. Make sure they understand what holidays you want (although, this won't be in the contract).

From my experience (sadly, it's not that much) I found a contract was just like an employee pack. Tells you what you do, who you work for, what happens if you get in trouble... etc etc.

I'm going to ask around my office about contracts. Now I'm curious, especially since I'm not sure about it!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 12:35:58 PM »
Ricardo, I don't have any experience in this, but a while back on this site I recall having seen a post by someone who was left in a very difficult lurch. Moved across...then got made redundant (laid off). There was no package in place to allow for this and the person, as I recall, had to find his/her own way back. For sure I'd have some sort of clause about that possibility in there.

Guildford is close enough to London to commute on public transportation, so this may not happen, but, at least a few years ago, one of the standard perks was to get a company car. Very status. Would do no harm to ask about; they might even expect the question. However, due to recent changes in taxing, this perk is not the benefit it used to be and many companies are stopping the policy. I mention merely because it's been common here, but also being phased out. So, by all means ask, but don't get your hopes up.

Naturally getting help with all visa paperwork and moving across here (legally/financially) is something that should be mandatory, otherwise you'll be in for something very difficult to mange on your own...hardly an incentive to move 1/3-way across the world.

I don't know if this will help...not used it myself...but I did run across UK Employment Contracts & Forms, a website that has buy-able contracts. may not help in your situation since it's geared toward the employer of a small business.

I also came across a checklist:
By law, employees are entitled to a written statement of their terms of employment and itemised pay statements; the written statement must contain the following:

- Employee's job title
- The start date of the employee
- Where the employee will work
- Details of salary and other benefits
- The employee's hours of work
- Entitlement to sick pay
- Holiday details
- Pension arrangements, if any
- Any notice provisions, and
- Any grievance procedures

In a small "scratching of the surface", I was able to come up with far more than I can list here. There's definitely a lot of info online about this. Have you tried searching Google?
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 11:10:40 PM »
Ashley and Lisa,

Thanks for your help.  This is a good start!

I have tried googling, but apparently I am not being very creative on my criteria -- for I get a whole bunch of stuff that does not remotely address what I need.  But, I will persevere ... Google is my friend.

Thanks again!

RW

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 05:17:28 PM »
Lisa just said what I was going to say!  :)

I spoke with a few of the people I work with (young professional types). Basically, what I got from them is you can ask for anything you want in a contract. It's negotiable, before and after it's signed. If you want tickets back to the U.S., ask for it. Help with finding a place, ask for it. All they can do is turn you down.

I'd ask for everything I could think of! See what you can get!  ;D But I'm greedy like that.

Sponsored Links