Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Healthier Since Leaving the US?  (Read 17320 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: Healthier Since Leaving the US?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 04:51:49 PM »
Where are you that you have that much ice and snow?

Dunno about StealthG, but my friend broke her wrist after slipping on ice last night, and I twisted my knee (on a slippy patch of ice) at lunchtime today...both of us in Glasgow.  :(

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »
A former post of StealthG's states that she is at/near Watford.

Ouch, Tracey!  :(
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
Dunno about StealthG, but my friend broke her wrist after slipping on ice last night, and I twisted my knee (on a slippy patch of ice) at lunchtime today...both of us in Glasgow.  :(

Oh, no!

A former post of StealthG's states that she is at/near Watford.

Is it snowy in Watford?? I don't follow the weather that closely so it may very well be, but I don't think that's normal winter weather for that area, is it?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Is it snowy in Watford?? I don't follow the weather that closely so it may very well be, but I don't think that's normal winter weather for that area, is it?

No idea - it's south of us, near London, isn't it?  We've not had snow here in Leeds proper yet - maybe tonight.  Seems that the snow has been all around though - even in the south.  I think we're on the verge of freezing rain imminently however!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »
What is everyone doing for walking this time of year? Treadmill? How do you get yourself to go walking (I want to walk 4miles a day)

I think for most people, walking is a necessity.  I used to have to walk nearly two miles just to get to the train station and back - and that was with no other walking.  I would then have another mile or so to walk from the train to work and back. Again, add more walking if I went out for lunch or grocery shopping or anything else.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »

Sorry for moaning!
The diclofenac hasn't kicked in yet...  :\\\'(

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »

Oh poor friend and poor you! Whinge away! Hopefully it won't be too painful for too long.  Time for some yaktrak, T!

I almost felt really hard last night on my night out because I was in nice shoes and the pavements were icy.  I wasn't using yaktrak on my night out, they don't work well with heels!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »
PB, they make Yak Trax for attaching to heels now! Lol! It might have been US website I was on where I saw them - was amazed! Not sure if they're available here but I probably wouldn't bother - I so rarely wear heels & if it's bad out, I sure as h£ll ain't walking around in heels. :P

Hope your knee feels better soon, Tracey!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
<<<< Southern softie who has never heard of Yak Trax!  ;D :P
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies, sorry for not replying sooner. Its been a few hectic days.
I live in Potters Bar - it's only been a little icy/snowy for about a day last week and then that melted away quickly. I remember last year we had a good amount of snow  so I'd thought I'd get some ideas of what to wear when it (hopefully, I do love snow!) snows again this year.  I've never heard of Yak Trax before, interesting. 

Right now I have a pay per month gym membership, so I work out during the weekdays. I'm trying to mix up my time on the treadmill. I do ten minutes or so, then go to another machine then come back to the treadmill. If I do straight treadmill it gets really monotonous and I give up quickly.

How are you feeling Tracey?  Is your knee feeling any better?

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
Right now I have a pay per month gym membership, so I work out during the weekdays. I'm trying to mix up my time on the treadmill. I do ten minutes or so, then go to another machine then come back to the treadmill. If I do straight treadmill it gets really monotonous and I give up quickly.

It's good to mix it up - you don't have to go continuously for it to be beneficial! My workouts are quite varied & I always wear my Ipod loaded with music that keeps me entertained & makes me want to get up & go. On my more cardio oriented days, I'll do about 15-20 minutes interval training on stationary bike (1 minute fast as you can go, then 1 minute really slow, repeat, repeat, repeat...). Then elliptical - 3 minutes where each minute I increase the resistance, then break that up with either some handweight exercise or doing some Reebok step exercises, then back to another 3 minutes elliptical again as before (3 sets each). I also do treadmill on 8-10% incline with 3 kg (each) handweights for about 20 minutes - that really gets me sweaty, lol!  With no handweights, I put it up to the full incline 15%. But I'm training for long distance walking with a light pack, so the handweights help me for that.  Oh & sometimes I do rowing as well.

Other days I do more strength training than cardio.  Sounds like you're really making progress, StealthG!  :)

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
Just wanted to update. Not going to the gym any more, had to cancel my membership for a little while due to finances, but did lose some weight.

I used to do Weight Watchers and it worked well in the past, but my weight was not budging much for the last year due to I think some hormonal problems and I gained back the 4 lbs I lost due to hormones - no terrible eating to gain it back (TMI- body acts like it's that time of the month every day the last year with bloating, cramp etc)

Well, I started that paleo diet, more because I was getting headaches and thought maybe it's sugar doing it.  Well, I lost a few pounds even without exercising and feel much better. I don't have to go hungry and eat without thinking too much in terms of calories. Which, is win/win. If you're not familiar with it, you basically eat fruits/veg/meat/fish/eggs.  I was vegetarian before so eating meat again has been interesting.  I did notice one thing that was kind of unnerving - The first two days was rough, I wasn't hungry but I really craved sweets and carbs.  After the first week things were golden.  I could see craving sweets, but wasn't expecting craving carbs. I have a lot more energy now. The diet isn't for everyone. I was a kid who loved eating cans of veg, so tons of veg all day doesn't bother me, I like it  ;)

Anyone doing/done paleo? Anyone want to and be my paleo buddy?

I did make some cinnamon rolls (cinnabun style) for hubby today and without thinking I tasted the frosting. I ended up spitting it out, it tasted so sweet I felt ill just having it in my mouth. My tongue actually felt a little numb!  Don't think I'll do that again! 

• Liked: 14
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
Old thread I know, but it struck a chord. I also became healthier after moving to the UK. Took up cycling, went vegan (then back to vegetarian) after a life of being omnivorous, and naturally, lost weight. If I still lived in the States I’m pretty sure I’d weigh twice as much or be dead from Pop-Tart overload.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »
Old thread I know, but it struck a chord. I also became healthier after moving to the UK. Took up cycling, went vegan (then back to vegetarian) after a life of being omnivorous, and naturally, lost weight. If I still lived in the States I’m pretty sure I’d weigh twice as much or be dead from Pop-Tart overload.
My husband lost weight when I moved here because he stopped eating so much takeaway and chips, but it's been a real struggle for me due to the increased pollution (which is saying a lot because I moved from an area of the states with a greatly increased incidence of MS and asthma and other autoimmune diseases). If we were further from London and away from Port cities I think I'd be in better shape. It can really go either way depending on your personal cooking and exercise habits!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab