Author Topic: Healthier Since Leaving the US?  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Albatross

• Liked: 140
Re: Healthier Since Leaving the US?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 04:51:49 PM »
Where are you that you have that much ice and snow?

Dunno about StealthG, but my friend broke her wrist after slipping on ice last night, and I twisted my knee (on a slippy patch of ice) at lunchtime today...both of us in Glasgow.  :(

Offline Mrs Robinson

• British & American
  • In Yorkshire's Green & Pleasant Land!
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »
A former post of StealthG's states that she is at/near Watford.

Ouch, Tracey!  :(
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Offline chary

• Snaps
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
Dunno about StealthG, but my friend broke her wrist after slipping on ice last night, and I twisted my knee (on a slippy patch of ice) at lunchtime today...both of us in Glasgow.  :(

Oh, no!

A former post of StealthG's states that she is at/near Watford.

Is it snowy in Watford?? I don't follow the weather that closely so it may very well be, but I don't think that's normal winter weather for that area, is it?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Offline Mrs Robinson

• British & American
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Is it snowy in Watford?? I don't follow the weather that closely so it may very well be, but I don't think that's normal winter weather for that area, is it?

No idea - it's south of us, near London, isn't it?  We've not had snow here in Leeds proper yet - maybe tonight.  Seems that the snow has been all around though - even in the south.  I think we're on the verge of freezing rain imminently however!

Offline Sara Smile

• Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »
What is everyone doing for walking this time of year? Treadmill? How do you get yourself to go walking (I want to walk 4miles a day)

I think for most people, walking is a necessity.  I used to have to walk nearly two miles just to get to the train station and back - and that was with no other walking.  I would then have another mile or so to walk from the train to work and back. Again, add more walking if I went out for lunch or grocery shopping or anything else.

Offline Albatross

• Liked: 140
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »

Sorry for moaning!
The diclofenac hasn't kicked in yet...  :\\\'(

Offline phatbeetle

• Deadhead in Scotland
  • Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »

Oh poor friend and poor you! Whinge away! Hopefully it won't be too painful for too long.  Time for some yaktrak, T!

I almost felt really hard last night on my night out because I was in nice shoes and the pavements were icy.  I wasn't using yaktrak on my night out, they don't work well with heels!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Offline Mrs Robinson

• British & American
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »
PB, they make Yak Trax for attaching to heels now! Lol! It might have been US website I was on where I saw them - was amazed! Not sure if they're available here but I probably wouldn't bother - I so rarely wear heels & if it's bad out, I sure as h£ll ain't walking around in heels. :P

Hope your knee feels better soon, Tracey!

Offline chary

• Snaps
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
<<<< Southern softie who has never heard of Yak Trax!  ;D :P
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

StealthG

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies, sorry for not replying sooner. Its been a few hectic days.
I live in Potters Bar - it's only been a little icy/snowy for about a day last week and then that melted away quickly. I remember last year we had a good amount of snow  so I'd thought I'd get some ideas of what to wear when it (hopefully, I do love snow!) snows again this year.  I've never heard of Yak Trax before, interesting. 

Right now I have a pay per month gym membership, so I work out during the weekdays. I'm trying to mix up my time on the treadmill. I do ten minutes or so, then go to another machine then come back to the treadmill. If I do straight treadmill it gets really monotonous and I give up quickly.

How are you feeling Tracey?  Is your knee feeling any better?

Offline Mrs Robinson

• British & American
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
Right now I have a pay per month gym membership, so I work out during the weekdays. I'm trying to mix up my time on the treadmill. I do ten minutes or so, then go to another machine then come back to the treadmill. If I do straight treadmill it gets really monotonous and I give up quickly.

It's good to mix it up - you don't have to go continuously for it to be beneficial! My workouts are quite varied & I always wear my Ipod loaded with music that keeps me entertained & makes me want to get up & go. On my more cardio oriented days, I'll do about 15-20 minutes interval training on stationary bike (1 minute fast as you can go, then 1 minute really slow, repeat, repeat, repeat...). Then elliptical - 3 minutes where each minute I increase the resistance, then break that up with either some handweight exercise or doing some Reebok step exercises, then back to another 3 minutes elliptical again as before (3 sets each). I also do treadmill on 8-10% incline with 3 kg (each) handweights for about 20 minutes - that really gets me sweaty, lol!  With no handweights, I put it up to the full incline 15%. But I'm training for long distance walking with a light pack, so the handweights help me for that.  Oh & sometimes I do rowing as well.

Other days I do more strength training than cardio.  Sounds like you're really making progress, StealthG!  :)

StealthG

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
Just wanted to update. Not going to the gym any more, had to cancel my membership for a little while due to finances, but did lose some weight.

I used to do Weight Watchers and it worked well in the past, but my weight was not budging much for the last year due to I think some hormonal problems and I gained back the 4 lbs I lost due to hormones - no terrible eating to gain it back (TMI- body acts like it's that time of the month every day the last year with bloating, cramp etc)

Well, I started that paleo diet, more because I was getting headaches and thought maybe it's sugar doing it.  Well, I lost a few pounds even without exercising and feel much better. I don't have to go hungry and eat without thinking too much in terms of calories. Which, is win/win. If you're not familiar with it, you basically eat fruits/veg/meat/fish/eggs.  I was vegetarian before so eating meat again has been interesting.  I did notice one thing that was kind of unnerving - The first two days was rough, I wasn't hungry but I really craved sweets and carbs.  After the first week things were golden.  I could see craving sweets, but wasn't expecting craving carbs. I have a lot more energy now. The diet isn't for everyone. I was a kid who loved eating cans of veg, so tons of veg all day doesn't bother me, I like it  ;)

Anyone doing/done paleo? Anyone want to and be my paleo buddy?

I did make some cinnamon rolls (cinnabun style) for hubby today and without thinking I tasted the frosting. I ended up spitting it out, it tasted so sweet I felt ill just having it in my mouth. My tongue actually felt a little numb!  Don't think I'll do that again!