Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Private Health Insurance and Pregnancy  (Read 7085 times)

• My home page
  • Liked: 0
Re: Private Health Insurance and Pregnancy
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2003, 01:02:16 AM »
I had a normal uneventful pregnancy.  I would have to say there was a reason I was given antibiotics during my labor other than simply fear of litigation. LoriM's post gave good information but basically at the end of the list stated that if it is found in your urine or vagina it should be treated.  So if found treat it...why not test for it?

I think there is good and bad in both health systems and I am not down playing any system.  Nursemeh seems to be very pro UK system.  I guess we lean towards a system depending on our experiences.  I mentioned the Strep B test because when it comes to the health of my child I will ask for any test under the sun especially if there is any chance that something could possibly lead to death of the baby.

Kathy
"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2003, 01:37:18 AM »
I had a normal uneventful pregnancy.  I would have to say there was a reason I was given antibiotics during my labor other than simply fear of litigation. LoriM's post gave good information but basically at the end of the list stated that if it is found in your urine or vagina it should be treated.  So if found treat it...why not test for it?

At the risk of turning this in to a Pettifog-type post, I have to say I think that this is taking what nursemeh said out of context.  What she stated is that many interventions such as episiotomies, C-sections, forceps and the like are quite often used when they most likely are not needed because docs fear litigation.  I don't believe this also meant the B Strep test or the antibiotics to treat it if the virus/bacteria/whatever is present.  It's NOT quite the same thing!  

Example:  someone mentioned the show "A Baby's Story" somewhere which runs on Discovery and I think Lifetime.  I love the show.  I also find it one of the most infuriating shows to watch sometimes but watch, I do.  

ANYWAY....there was one day some years back where they were running a marathon of the show.  First show, it was a lady giving birth to her first and in labor they found out the baby was breach.  Doc said it was necessary for her to have a section.  Second show, same scenario with a woman pregnant with her first.  Doc found out the baby was breach.  Rather than condemning the woman to a section, he turned the baby in utero.  She had a normal vaginal birth and healthy baby.  

With that in mind the question arises: was a section absolutely required for the first woman?  Could attempts have been made to prevent a section?  The answers are no and yes.  The fact is, it depends on the care provider and that person's approach.  Unfortunately, more often than not, many docs will induce, cut and whatever else to make their lives easier and no one elses.  Yes, interventions can sometimes be necessary.  Yes, they can save a life.  Yes, technology and modern medicine are all wonderful things.  The question of when they are necessary and when they are being overused is one that can probably be debated ad infinitum.  The lines are blurry and any woman who has had an intervention most likely wholeheartedly believes that she absolutely needed it or else she and/or her baby would have suffered.

As someone who has worked in childbirth education, I'm the first one to say it's all about choices.  There are so many choices for couples out there today, it can be a truly overwhelming experience.  Get educated, be informed, then make the choice that's right for you.  This is what nursemeh said with regard to the strep test and this is what I say about it and any other choice in pregnancy.

(/moon-worshipping-midwife-off)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 01:39:27 AM by elle »

• My home page
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2003, 03:07:42 AM »
By no means do I want to turn this into a Pettifog type thing.  I was wrong in saying in an ealier post "make sure you get a strep b test done".  I should have said something more along the lines of "check regarding....".

I don't believe I took what Nursmeh said out of context. She prefers of the UK system.  I agree with what she has said I just got the impression that because it was done in the US it as more of a basis in litigation fear than medical backing.  

Shortly after I moved to the UK there were several news stories where two women lost their children to this.  This caused me concern because I am still contemplating having another child and also carry the strep b. I just wonder what would have happened to me if I didn't know about the test or had not been tested...what the outcome would have been.  

I agree as well that it is all about choices and to get educated but do they inform you in the UK about different tests etc.?  I wouldn't have known about the strep B except for the routine test I received.

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2003, 08:54:38 AM »

I don't believe I took what Nursmeh said out of context. She prefers of the UK system.  I agree with what she has said I just got the impression that because it was done in the US it as more of a basis in litigation fear than medical backing.

I'll agree to disagree on this because I wasn't even on about what system Nursemeh prefers or the other but the other points she was making.

Shortly after I moved to the UK there were several news stories where two women lost their children to this.  This caused me concern because I am still contemplating having another child and also carry the strep b. I just wonder what would have happened to me if I didn't know about the test or had not been tested...what the outcome would have been.  

It's a solid question with no real answer because I really think it's as I said: down to your care provider.  One cannot really know that basis for comparison without some type of statistics between US and UK healthcare in this regard.  I'm sure there's horror stories on both sides of the pond.  The fact that you know your own situation makes you way more empowered and able to be a better advocate for yourself, which is truly a terrific position to be in.

I agree as well that it is all about choices and to get educated but do they inform you in the UK about different tests etc.?  I wouldn't have known about the strep B except for the routine test I received.

Again, difficult to say.  Can't say any more than I've already done, but I'm sure that there are care providers here who do routinely test for it otherwise I'm sure there'd be an epidemic of infant deaths due to this problem.

• My home page
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2003, 11:28:02 AM »
I guess we will have to agree to disagree because we seem to read the same words differently.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2003, 12:18:30 PM »
nursmeh, thanks for that post - and everyone else. :)
I've been surprised to find out that I love having a midwife. If we have our next baby in America, I will definitely try to find a widwife there, and try to have a similar experience to what I've had here.

The one and only thing that really actually bugs me about the UK hospital system, specifically the birthing, is wards. I've been told they are great for bonding, for seeing other new mothers, for compansionship etc... but I don't want that. Not in the slightest. I want to bond with my husband, my mothers, and my baby - no one else! :( Sad I can't get a private room. I'm sure wards are fantastic for some people, but I'm not a ward type of person I guess.  
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2003, 01:31:49 PM »
Wow! I didn't realise I was pro UK healthcare!!  My husband would probably disagree and LOUDLY as I have spent way too much of my time over here moaning about the NHS and their crazy antiquated ways!!!!

But after working within the system and learning more about its fundamentals I guess I have grown to appreciate the positives.

My moans/gripes in comparing UK vs US have been about annoying paper systems of documentation vs computers,  patients waiting 3 days for routine ultrasounds vs mere hours in US, awkward(for me) instruments/packaging vs expensive and very user friendly equip in US - lots and lots of "little" and some big things that have bugged me.

However- I have been pleasantly surprised to see that none of this stuff actually had any detrimental effect on patient care and most importantly - outcomes. Overall- people here still get excellent care- and the "lack" of bells/whistles equip doesnt make any difference!  

But of course- anyone who reads papers knows that the NHS is in dire need of reforms- I am the first to say that.  A person on a waiting list for over a year with a bum knee is a disgrace.  If I were British I woudl demand scrutiny and reform.   And I do believe that with major reforms to cut middle management and improve resource allocation(put the money where its needed!) the NHS can become what it could and should be- a wonderful service of free healthcare for all.  

hmmm am I pro UK over US healthcare??  hmmmm- I hope I am simply someone who has been fortunate to see into some truths behind the white coat worship that goes on in health care (no matter what country we are in.)  I believe consumers should question their health care providers(including nurses!) and learn about health promotion for themselves.  In this age of information- there is nothing stopping you!!  Type Bstrep into a google search!

Kturner- I didnt say that I think ABx treatment for Bstrep is always done merely to prevent lawsuits- I was talking about the more common/ routine obstetric interventions.  you made a very good point that Bstrep info should be provided to moms over here- so they can make decisions with all the info.

Oh- I do agree, multi bedded wards really REALLY bothered me at first- and I still find it strange- but I think it is a cultural difference that most Brits just accept as "normal"- although I came across Brit patients who wanted privacy and found it too "open."   hopefully LisaMs architect hubby can fix that problem for the next round of babies!!

and hey- you dont have to stay in the hospital too long- if all is going well and fine- rush to your cozy home with baby as soon a you can!!  A midwife will happily visit you at  home to check on you and baby daily  :)

Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2003, 01:34:40 PM »
and I forgot- LOL!!
Elle- but isnt polygamy illegal here in UK as well as in US- except for-umm parts of Utah?

So I will have to say a very polite and flattered no thanks to your proposal!!!
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2003, 02:25:13 PM »
and I forgot- LOL!!
Elle- but isnt polygamy illegal here in UK as well as in US- except for-umm parts of Utah?

So I will have to say a very polite and flattered no thanks to your proposal!!!

lol  np  :-*

• My home page
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2003, 09:26:56 PM »
With my first baby I lucked out and got a private room but with the second I had to share a room with a couple of women.  Sharing a room definitely makes you want to go home sooner and I am not a ward type of person either but not too bad.  Though I was "lucky" enough to get a very young mother in the bed right next to me.  So I got to listen to her chat on the phone to her friends about how easy it was going to be and how she had it all worked out.  Then her boyfriend would visit and I got to listen to them making out!  ::)

Nursemeh...I struggle everytime I read a news story about the NHS because I am still so new to the UK and don't understand it all, that I actually can frighten myself if I think too long about the state of it.  I was spoiled in the US because I loved all my doctors.  Sorry if I read too much into what you said.  I think if I new the intimate details of both systems like you I would probably just curl up into the fetal position!

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2003, 11:21:59 PM »
Just FYI -

I asked my husband what they're designing for the new hospitals.  He said no more open wards, 4 beds per room is the max.  They're trying for a standard of having a 1/3 of the rooms be single rooms, though the critical care patients get placed in the 4 bed rooms, because it's easier for the nurse nearby to keep tabs on them.

He did say that, believe it or not, some patients here who get transferred from 4 bed rooms to single rooms actually complain about it, because they miss the company!! :D

At the hospital where I intend to 'birth my baby', they have private rooms available for something like 60 quid - that's IF there's one available when you arrive!  I guess I'd prefer that, if it's possible.  The only other thing that really bugs me about the facilities that I noticed on our tour is that there seemed to be very limited loos available in the labor ward.  That means, the further your room is from the loo, the further you have to travel (duh.).  This may not turn out to be a problem, but in pregnancy stories I've read, often it seems that those laboring spend a lot of time on the can.  I don't know if this is always due to needing the bowl underneath, or just because it's more comfortable to sit there - I say, bring back the birthin' chairs!
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2003, 12:25:23 PM »
My husband's twin has spina bifida and has spent many a moon in the hospital, and he for one LOVES the ward system. I suppose if you spend as much time as he has in the hospital then you'd want company like that. Then again, he also grew up with the system. I grew up with the single-room system. Le sigh!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »
Hi I am hoping to revive this thread because we just found out last week I am pregnant  :D - due date 8 Sept - very early days for us especially with me being 36 and this my first pregnancy so all fingers and toes are crossed.

Anyway I've been really interested to read what everyone had the say about the UK vs US maternity care.  Stu and I considered whether we would stay here or go to the US and finally decided on here for several reasons: my parents are here (although his parents are there), we have no insurance or jobs in the US and after I started reading Misconceptions by Naomi Wolf I came to the conclusion I would prefer the midwife system here to the US system as she describes it.

We are relying on the NHS to see us through so I'm really reassured to read Nursemeh's comments.  We just had our first GP appointment on Monday and now have to choose a hospital - we have a choice of 4, will probably choose the Royal Free in Hampstead, am wondering if anyone who has given birth in London in recent years has any comments to share on the hospital they went through. I am hoping for a home birth ultimately, or failing that at least an early discharge (our GP said if there are no problems you only have to stay for 6 hours after the birth) - I really don't like hanging around hospitals longer than necessary!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2004, 01:29:22 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read Misconceptions by Naomi Wolf as well, and it made me SO SO SO happy to give birth in England!

When I first got pregnant I thought that there was no way I'd want to be here, that I'd hate the midwifing system, that I'd feel unsafe because I wouldn't be poked and prodded enough... my how that has changed. :)

I love being treated like I'm pregnant, and not like I'm *ill*. My midwife is brilliant. She is English but worked in California as a midwife for 5 years so she has a good perspectiv eon both systems... and came back to England specifically because she felt like the US system was way more intrusive than it had to be. Like that unnecessary c-sections are done all the time just to avoid malpractice, not because there's really any need! They just don't want to wait for the natural process to do it's thing, as it slows things up... and it's like an assembly line. This is what my *midwife* is saying, by the way - - - from her experiences in *her* hospital... I know it's not that way all over the US!

But I have been really happy with the birth planning on the NHS. They seem more than happy to let my labor progress naturally and will only intervene if there is a real need to do so.

The *nicest* thing though, is that my midwife came to my house for our first visit and stayed an hour and a half to answer everything I could possibly think of! Also, for my 36 week appointment she will come to my house again and have a full, long stay and talk with me about my final birth plan.

David & I have all the materials ready for a home birth. Since we are an hour away from the hospital (yikes), and my family history is FULL of babies just sort of coming out instantaneously. We're prepared to give birth in the hospital, in an ambulance, in a refrigerator, on my bed... and are perfectly happy to just do it whenever little Philip decides he wants to show up.

I NEVER thought I'd be the kind of person to want a homebirth, but I'm totally comfortable with it now after talking to my midwife, after reading that book....

OH I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE PREGNANT! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Here are my 2 items of completely unsolicited advice that you can throw away at your whim:

1. Take your rings off before you get huge!!! lol...
2. Be careful what you read, or else you'll get completely freaked out. Information overload can be so stressful, and it isn't good for mother or baby. I know just because I read everything and have had to change that with this pregnancy. I got 3 books:
* Naomi Wolf's Misconceptions
* Kaz Cooke's Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
* What to Expect the First Year (I will use this for reference though, not to read front to back - again it's just too much info about diseases and other stuff I just don't need to worry about unless it happens!)

The Kaz Cooke book is ASTOUNDING. She's Australian, but this book is changed to be geared for the UK market... it's funny, it's non-judgmental (don't even get me started on what a cow I think Miriam Stoppard is!), and it's just brilliant. I give 104 thumbs up. :)

OK I'll shut up now!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2004, 01:44:37 PM »
Thanks so much Marlespo. Funnily enough we got the Kaz Cook book out of the library at the weekend and we love it, will probably go and buy our own copy. [I head read one of her other books "Real Gorgeous" a few years ago and loved that too so was so happy to find this one). Yup we are now realising there is such a thing as too much information and it seems everyone has a different opinion about whether I can eat peanuts or not or indeed any kind of nut! As for my mum's idea that I should get a copy of Dr Spock ... ENUFF!

I fully take your point about the rings - I read your thread about that last week and told Stu all about it - he is horrified I might have to take the rings off but as I told him it's better than having to have the finger off!!

I hope I get as lucky as you with the midwife, yours sounds a perfect angel and what she said reassures me even more that we have made the right decision to stay here.

:D :D :D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab