Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR (M) Success - and encouragement to those who still have to do it!!  (Read 1178 times)

Piece of cake. Honestly. It's SO nothing to be worried about! The only thing I can advise in addition to what's already been said is this:

1. Allow loads of time, even if you have an appointment, in Croydon. This is especially true if you go in September or October, as apparently they're deluged by students during those months.

2. If you bank online, get the bank to mail you statements OR print them off and take them into the actual bank to be stamped and signed.

We decided to drive 'cause we wanted to be a bit more in control than we felt we were using trains/tubes/trams, so we set off a few hours in advance of our appointment to allow time for parking, scoping the scene, etc. We drove straight to it, parked with no trouble and walked over to the office.

Arrived at about 12:30 for a 1:30 appointment. They had us wait outside for about 15 minutes before getting in a line for the first "stop." Short wait and we were at a counter. The guy was REALLY nice, but quite serious (even Jamie said he found it nerve-wracking and he's got nerves of steel!) He went through our financial documents (see above comment about bank statements - he said ours were of no use to him - thank goodness we had a year's worth of payslips!) He looked at our marriage certificate, passports, our payslips, spent a good amount of time reading a letter from Jamie's boss which stated how long he's been with the company, what he earns, and how often he gets bonuses, glanced at a letter from my uni., glanced at our lease, and laughed at how much else I had with me that he didn't need to see! The funniest bit was when he asked how long we had been together. I figured he was checking out the relationship so I started rattling dates off and then he stopped me and said that he was just curious 'cause I was calling Jamie "him" instead of "my husband" and so he figured we'd been together for a while!  :D He said "congratulations" and sent us upstairs to pay. Again, very short queue, forked out most of my first pay check to pay for the whole ordeal, and we were sent upstairs again to wait in the "interview" room (though they don't appear to do much interviewing there!)

This is where it got annoying. They call you by number and the numbers don't go in order so you have no clue where you are in the queue. I figured since we had had an appointment we'd get through quick-ish, but I forgot that Croydon is not appointment only yet. So we waited for about THREE HOURS. Just sat there. Blah. When they finally called us, we went to a window, the woman checked the application, and our marriage certificate. She sent us away, and then about 20 minutes later called us back to get my passport.

Oddly I now still don't have a fancy sticker - just a black ink stamp saying I'm all legal for two years. The only thing I can figure is that it was because I've been here over a year and so my previous student visa was also only a crummy black ink stamp.

Anyway, aside from the waiting and the drive home (the wait was so bloody long we hit the commute home and it took FOREVER) it was completely painless and absolutely nothing to be worried about!  :)

• Liked: 0
Re: FLR (M) Success - and encouragement to those who still have to do it!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 03:42:27 PM »
That's great news, Anne. Hopefully I'll remember that it's easy and painless and let go of my worry when I reach that point (probably not though, I'm such a worrier).

Tanisha

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 03:50:08 PM »
That's great news, Anne. Hopefully I'll remember that it's easy and painless and let go of my worry when I reach that point (probably not though, I'm such a worrier).

LOL - I thought about adding a disclaimer to my post actually, 'cause I know from experience that no matter how much someone says "don't worry," when you're doing something as important as applying for a visa, it's just not that easy!!!! I worried up until the minute the passport was in my hands and I read the stamp with my own eyes!!!  ;)

Just remember - thanks to this site you are TOTALLY prepared. The chances that something will get messed up are next to nothing because of that!!!

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 09:11:29 PM »
Yeah Anne!!!!!!!! Im very happy for you!  :-*
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 10:17:27 PM »
Wonderful news, Anne!  Great big congrats and welcome the FLR gang.  :)

(It is a bit depressing to think you paid all that money and only got an ugly black stamp isn't it?  At least the fiancee visa is a bit prettier.)

Thanks for keeping us updated and I'm so glad it all went alright for you!

;D

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 10:55:27 PM »
Yeah! How funny though that there are different versions of what's in the passport. We did ours by mail and I have a lovely multicolored sticker thing - and like you, Anne, I've been here on a student visa prior to this.  :-\\\\
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 10:59:04 PM »
I have the sticker thingie too and also did it by mail.  Lot less nerves that way!   ;)
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• The two most important people in the world!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 11:14:51 PM »

Oddly I now still don't have a fancy sticker - just a black ink stamp saying I'm all legal for two years. The only thing I can figure is that it was because I've been here over a year and so my previous student visa was also only a crummy black ink stamp.

Congratulations Annie !!!  But now, I'm REALLY confused !!  I'm American, married to a Brit from Liverpool, and I'm here on a 2 year Spouse Visa...I Thought the FLR was indefinate ???  I'm soooo confused about all this. 

What I also really need to find out is , when do I start the process to "renew" my spouse visa and what does it cost?? I've been on the website, but can't find anything about this.     
God gives us our relatives - thank God we can choose our friends.
       - Ethel Watts Mumford (1878–1940), U.S. novelist, humor writer

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 09:51:15 AM »
What I also really need to find out is , when do I start the process to "renew" my spouse visa and what does it cost?? I've been on the website, but can't find anything about this.     

There are no provisions in the rules to renew the spousal probationary visa (i.e., the one you have). 

So.  Look at your visa's expiry and subtract 1 month from it.  That's the date you should apply for ILR.

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 10:05:32 AM »

But now, I'm REALLY confused !!  I'm American, married to a Brit from Liverpool, and I'm here on a 2 year Spouse Visa...I Thought the FLR was indefinate ???  I'm soooo confused about all this. 

Your spousal visa (the FLR you have) is good for 2 years.  FLR stands for Further Leave to Remain and entitles you to stay in the UK, coming and going as you please, and to work as long as you have no recourse to public funds.

As garry noted, about a month before your FLR is due to expire, you need to apply for (either in person or by post) for your ILR which stands for Indefinite Leave to Remain.  This will be you final visa and will be good forever, no matter what your marital or financial circumstances, as long as you do not leave the UK for an excessive amount of time. 

Check out the Home Office website and look for info on ILR's.  I'm sure the current fees and forms will be there.

:)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 10:09:03 AM »
Good stuff.  My wife got her FLR(M) in the post today!  For those looking for some kind of timescale, we sent it on August 15th, and today is October 8th.

Now we have her passport we can get on with applying for more ID (e.g. UK drivers license), so we can get her on my bank account!  It's all so time consuming and complicated... but today is a good day, so we're happy.

• The two most important people in the world!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 01:25:46 PM »
Thanks everybody !!!  You guys are just terrific !!   ;D

I "thought" I simply "renewed" my Spouse Visa....didn't think I could apply for permanent FLR so soon....that is great news !!!  I will most definately think of applying a couple of months before my Visa expires....who knows, I might just travel South to good old Londontown and see them in person !!

Thanks everyone,

Gwinn
God gives us our relatives - thank God we can choose our friends.
       - Ethel Watts Mumford (1878–1940), U.S. novelist, humor writer

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 05:30:52 PM »
Glad we could be of help, Gwinn.  :)

Just a note of caution tho...there is a limit to how early you can apply for your ILR before your FLR expires.  I think it was three weeks when we did it but might be good to look into this on the Home Office website.  Rules change rather quickly with immigration for some reason! 

• Out of Dodge
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 04:16:10 PM »
I too was very sad that after all that queueing all I got was a inky stamp.

Welcome to the: "I went to the Home Office and all I got was this lousy stamp" club. Feels great doesn't it?
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 01:58:49 PM »
I went to the Home Office in Solihull and got a colourful sticker with my photo on it.

Sponsored Links