Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Did he see you in the dress before the wedding?  (Read 4032 times)

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • Liked: 0
Did he see you in the dress before the wedding?
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
Do you hold to the superstition that it's badluck for the groom to see the bride her wedding gown? Or did you let your soon to be hubby see your dress?
We're doing a registry office wedding, so just curious to know what people have done.
Met online: 2001
Lost contact: 2005-2010
Found me on Facebook: 12-26-10
Officially dating: 4-9-11
Met in person: 5-5-11 *stayed 3wks in UK*
Met 2nd time: 9-29-11 *stayed 2wks*
Proposed: 10-9
3rd visit: 5-27-12 *3wk stay*
4th visit: 3-28-13 *3wk stay*
5th Visit: 05-13 to 11-3 2014
Fiance' Visa: 2015

Re: Re: Did he see you in the dress before the wedding?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »
I'm not sure that I believe the bad luck superstition, but I do think there's something special about seeing the look in his eyes when he sees you looking so beautiful in your wedding dress. And even just the "surprise" of it made getting all dolled up even more fun in my opinion.

But then again, I know others who simply couldn't hold out and showed their soon-to-be hubby and didn't regret it. So I guess it's all up to personal choice.
"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins."
~ Bob Moawad

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: Did he see you in the dress before the wedding?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
I'm not sure that I believe the bad luck superstition, but I do think there's something special about seeing the look in his eyes when he sees you looking so beautiful in your wedding dress. And even just the "surprise" of it made getting all dolled up even more fun in my opinion.

This is my view as well. I'll be wearing two dresses, actually, and he hasn't seen either. (Though I've changed my mine on one of them, and he had seen the first option for that dress.)

We're doing a register office ceremony for the legal bit (just our parents/siblings there), and then what we'll consider the "real" ceremony with all our guests later in the day. I plan to wear one dress for both ceremonies and then swap to the other dress. If I hadn't bought my dresses off eBay for under £75, I wouldn't be a clothes-horse on the day. ;)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 5
Re: Re: Did he see you in the dress before the wedding?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

This was more or less our attitude as well.  Funnily enough, I assumed DH would see my dress before and he was the one that wanted to be surprised.  I wasn't that bothered in the beginning but glad we did it that way in the end, it was really special. 

Because we wanted to coordinate, DH asked me to go out and buy him a "matching" tie, which he opened while getting ready (separate from me).  It was purple so DH actually had assumed I was wearing a purple dress (which I did strongly consider!!).  He was surprised to see me for the first time and then doubly surprised for me to actually be in a white dress!!  The picture of his reaction and then the Justice of the Peace's reaction to his reaction was really funny!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Did he see you in the dress before the wedding?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »
Because we wanted to coordinate, DH asked me to go out and buy him a "matching" tie, which he opened while getting ready (separate from me).  It was purple so DH actually had assumed I was wearing a purple dress (which I did strongly consider!!).  He was surprised to see me for the first time and then doubly surprised for me to actually be in a white dress!!  The picture of his reaction and then the Justice of the Peace's reaction to his reaction was really funny!
Oh, that must have been priceless!!
"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins."
~ Bob Moawad

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
We got married in Vegas, so we got ready in our hotel and went to the chapel together in a limo.  We dressed in different rooms, so the element of surprise was still there, it just didn't happen at the chapel.  DH's expression when I came down the aisle was still memorable  [smiley=smitten.gif].

I don't think it was bad luck that he saw me before the ceremony.  We had a great day, and we're still happy four years later :).
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »
My husband really couldn't have cared less what I was wearing! A dress is a dress is a dress to him.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
No, he didn't see me before.  He didn't even see pics of the dress.  He saw my veil, shoes and the dress bag though.  lol
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
Mine didn't see the dress either.  He saw my shoes and jewelry and hairband but didn't see the dress til he saw me on Dad's arm  ;D
Maroon Passport Club!

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
Well, someone other than me had to zip the darn thing... and he was the only other person in my hotel room...

I'm not into silly superstitions.
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »
We got ready together and came to the ceremony together in a black cab.
It was lovely actually very sweet, like the calm before the storm of relatives and friends, just this calm, stress free morning in our little house.

I tied his tie and he laced me up, we walked up the aisle together hand in hand.

Start as you mean to go on was our mantra :)

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »
We got ready seperately on the morning of the wedding, but he did see me before the the actual ceremony because we had to sign some things at the Registry office. We also walked down the aisle together since my parents were not in attendance, so my dad wasn't "giving me away."

Most people I know state-side have seen their bride or groom before the wedding because they have taken the bulk of their pictures before the ceremony, so the gap between ceremony and reception is shorter. 

I think you should do whatever you want. It's your day (and hubby to be's of course). I don't think there are any "rules" anymore.

• the black swan with digital wings
    • cygnoir.net
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
It wasn't about luck for us, but we both wanted it to be a little surprise. However, for the sake of scheduling, we had to have some photos taken before the ceremony, so my husband saw me in my gown for the first time right before the ceremony began. It was just the two of us (and the photographer) in the room. A sweet moment ... :)
"It often shows an excellent command of language to say nothing." - Karol Newlin
._.-. blogging about expat life, writing, food, running, &c. @ cygnoir.net [nofollow] .-._.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
A friend of mine did a "reveal" with her husband before the ceremony, which was super-sweet.  It was arranged by the photographer but basically her husband was waiting for her and then when she started to walk towards him, he was told to turn around.  They got to have a really special moment, just the two of them.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »
I showed my husband the pattern my dress was being based on, the shoes, and various things I was considering jewellery and fascinator-wise. I went with him to pick out his kilt so it was a bit uneven, but he wanted the surprise. In fact, he didn't look at me at all until I reached the front of the room which I think was silly but there you go.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab