Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just got my visa. How do I start? (National Insurance #?)  (Read 15999 times)

• Liked: 2
Just got my visa. How do I start? (National Insurance #?)
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »
Hello one and all. I was just granted my spouse visa yesterday. It was a great weight taken off my shoulders, but now I have a new weight...finding a job. I'm not sure what I need to do to be all set to start applying. Do I need to go somewhere/do something to get my National Insurance Number? Do I just wait for it; will it be sent from the home office at a later date?

I have a bit of social anxiety and after waiting for months and months for this visa, I am really scared of getting back out there and actually doing things in public/in a work environment. If anyone could help me with the process of getting started, like by telling me what I am supposed to do about the national insurance number, it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Just got my visa. How do I start? (National Insurance #?)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »
You will apply for your National Insurance number (which is like a US Social Security numbe,r but is NOT used for identification purposes such as setting up bank accounts).

For instructions on how to apply: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm#3

and scroll down the page to find the section on 'starting work'.

Others will doubtless be along with hints and tips on how best to navigate this process. Good luck :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:33:32 AM »
Congrats on your visa, Tommy25!  :)

I called the number on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

I’m not sure if it still works this way, but it seems that in the past people who were granted FLR(M) in country had to attend and interview for their National Insurance Number and those who were granted a Spousal Visa outside of the UK could do the application via post. However, things always change, but if you phone that number and answer their questions, they will tell you what you need to do.

I was granted FLR(M) in country. I phoned that number on a Tuesday and was given an interview for Friday that same week. So, DH and I had to drive to Welshpool (an hour away) for my interview at the Job Centre there.

This is what I brought:

- Passport
- BRP
- Council Tax Bill
- Marriage Certificate
- Proof I was looking for work (in the form of emails I sent to employers with my CV and cover letters, invitations to interviews, rejections)

I was only asked to produce my passport, BRP and Council Tax. They took photocopies of those and then the woman who was interviewing me asked for my address and mobile number, the date I moved to the UK, the date I was married and my date of birth. She then asked for my husband’s details as well. She then gave me the application to look over to be sure that everyone was correct and that was it. I was free to go and she said I’d hear back in a few weeks.

However, there are been instances on this forum where people have gone for an interview and have been expected to show proof that they were looking for a job. This is not listed on the website above, but it has been expected. Since I wasn’t asked, I’m guessing different Job Centres have different policies.

You may not even have to attend an interview, so all of this information could be completely irrelevant to you. If you have to be interviewed, don’t sweat it. They’re simply verifying that you are who you say you are. There are no tough questions and little room for embarrassment. They literally just fill out the application for you and ask you to check it for error. I have social anxiety myself and felt completely fine doing this. Though as I got up to leave, I didn't realize that my bag had become wrapped around the chair and I knocked the chair over and proceeded to drag it with me until I noticed I had both my bag and a chair in tow.  :-[ 

In all seriousness, it will be fine.  :)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
My experience was about the same as PlainPearls.  :)  Minus the chair dragging.   ;)

They also asked me for DH's National Insurance Number.  It didn't seem like it'd be an issue if I didn't know it, but I had it with me.  :)

I live in London and didn't have an appointment at a regular JobCentre.... I was given an appointment at the NINO JobCentre Office in Tooting (NINO = National Insurance Number Office).  There are loads of JobCentres closer to where I live, but for my National Insurance Number, I had to go to this one.  :P
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
There are loads of JobCentres closer to where I live, but for my National Insurance Number, I had to go to this one.  :P

Yeah, I had to go to Wales for mine even though there is a JobCentre 1.5 miles from my house.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:05:03 PM »
Okay, whoa whoa whoa. So I may be asked to prove that I've been looking for work? Why would I be looking for work if I can't work legally until I get my national insurance number? Makes no sense to me. I'm supposed to come up with proof that I'm cheating the system? I'm confused.

And WOW, being sent to Wales to do this? What on earth is that about? I'm calling them tomorrow, and I don't expect you guys to know, but am I going to be forced to go somewhere far away? There's a job center literally down the street from me. Am I going to be sent to freakin' WALES instead?

Color me completely and utterly confused, with a shade of stressed.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »
It's not illegal to work without a NI number, you would just be taxed at a different rate. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »
Hmmm...well, I wasn't permitted to work while on my fiance visa. So what am I supposed to do about showing proof that I was trying to work, when I wasn't allowed to because of the visa I was on?

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
Okay, whoa whoa whoa. So I may be asked to prove that I've been looking for work? Why would I be looking for work if I can't work legally until I get my national insurance number? Makes no sense to me. I'm supposed to come up with proof that I'm cheating the system? I'm confused.

And WOW, being sent to Wales to do this? What on earth is that about? I'm calling them tomorrow, and I don't expect you guys to know, but am I going to be forced to go somewhere far away? There's a job center literally down the street from me. Am I going to be sent to freakin' WALES instead?

Color me completely and utterly confused, with a shade of stressed.

I wasn't actually asked about whether or not I was looking for work. Nor was I asked to prove it, but people on the forum have been asked, so that's why I told you that and that's why I went to my interview prepared to show them I had been looking. It seems that policies vary between JobCentres. If you do a search, you will see some instances where applicants have been asked to prove it. Like Historyenne said, it's not illegal to work without a NI number, so it's not illegal to apply for jobs either.

Also, I live in Shropshire which borders Wales. The JobCentre I went to was an hour away from my house. So, don't be surprised if you have to travel a bit (certainly not to Wales if you live nowhere near it) for an interview even if there are multiple JobCentres closer to you. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt, but it is what is.

I woudn't stress over it though. Honestly, it wasn't difficult. It was inconvenient more than anything else and once you've done this, it's just one less thing you have to worry about!  :)

Regarding how to prove you are looking for work, you could apply for some jobs online. I printed off some of the emails from my outbox showing that I had applied for certain positions. 

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
Okay. Well thanks for the information. I live in Southampton, so I was getting ready to freak out if I had to find a way to get all the way up to Wales. Nothing with the immigration process has been easy, so I didn't expect it to start being easy now. I fully expect to have to travel somewhere inconvenient.

I was really shocked when you mentioned the thing about looking for work. I was told when I got the visa, and I've just confirmed this online, that people on the fiance visa cannot work. I'm just always so paranoid about these immigration things. It's all been one, long headache and I just started assuming a while back that what can go wrong, will go wrong. I guess I've answered my own question.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »
I was really shocked when you mentioned the thing about looking for work. I was told when I got the visa, and I've just confirmed this online, that people on the fiance visa cannot work. I'm just always so paranoid about these immigration things. It's all been one, long headache and I just started assuming a while back that what can go wrong, will go wrong. I guess I've answered my own question.

You're absolutely right. People on Fiance Visas cannot work, but once you are granted FLR(M) and have your BRP, you can legally work and look for work. So, you won't be breaking any rules.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
And how long does it usually take to get a national insurance number? Looking at some applications online, they ALL ask me for it and won't let me leave it blank. I suppose I could apply for jobs where I just send in a CV instead of filling out an online application, but like I said, I'd rather just wait until I have my number, unless it's going to take forever. If it's just a few days, I'll wait.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
Hmmm...well, I wasn't permitted to work while on my fiance visa. So what am I supposed to do about showing proof that I was trying to work, when I wasn't allowed to because of the visa I was on?

You just have to show that you are actively looking for, or intending to look for work... so you could just take along some job vacancy adverts that you are interested in.

Also, although it was illegal for you to work on your fiance visa, it was not illegal for you to look for work while waiting for your visa (although it probably would have been difficult to get anywhere without your FLR(M) visa).

Plus, you can start working before you get your NI number anyway - it's your visa that gives you legal permission to work in the UK, not the number. It's not like a SSN which is assigned at birth - UK citizens who are born here aren't even issued with a NI number until they turn 16 (the age at which they can legally work full time and may have to start paying tax).

The NI number is just used to make sure you are taxed at the correct rate. If you start working before you get the number you will probably be taxed more than you should be and so will have to claim it back when you get the number.

A lot of companies will ask you for your NI number before you start work though, so it's often best to get one beforehand to save any hassle with companies asking for it.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 08:17:58 AM »
Thanks for your help. I called the jobcenter  this morning to book an appointment. I was hoping to get one sooner, but it looks like it's on March 21st. Not TOO long a wait, but I was hoping to get the number before then. Like you said, it may be best to just wait until I have the number, so I don't have to deal with the hassle of explaining it to employers and changing it, retroactively fixing it (is that the right word?)...I'll still send out some resumes and such, just to see. Can't hurt.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 09:12:24 AM »
I think most of the JobCentres you see are just normal JobCentres, but they only issue National Insurance Numbers at the NINO JobCentres.  The one I went to (half an hour bus away from me) didn't have a huge JobCentre sign..... just a little nondescript one that said 'NINO JobCentre'.  I'm assuming that's all they do at those JobCentres....  :-\\\\

I was asked why I was applying for a National Insurance number.  I said I was looking for work and wasn't asked for proof.

The lady was pretty helpful and I didn't feel like I was being grilled at all.  :)

Bring a book or something to do.... I was waiting a while for my appointment and then again when she was getting everything sorted.  :)

I think it took about 3-4 weeks to get my National Insurance number in the mail.  :)  They don't issue cards any more.  :)

Like ksand said, you can start work before getting your NI number, but you'll be charged the emergency tax rate.  Once you get your number, you'd be able to claim that back (at least what you overpaid), but it may take a while.  :)

I've never been asked for my NI number in an application.  My assumption was they only really need it once you're offered a job.   :-\\\\

Do you have to travel far for you appointment, Tommy25?
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Sponsored Links