Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Re: Thinking of returning to UK  (Read 1494 times)

Re: Thinking of returning to UK
« on: May 01, 2003, 04:50:17 AM »
I don't know if this is something that really appeals to you or your kids personally, but I love history.  Especially here in FL, there is none.  None of that sense of history all around you, the feeling that life has been going on for centuries and will continue for centuries more.
Also, I miss winter.
As I've said before, one of my big reasons for agreeing to move is the opportunity-how many people really get the chance to live in another country?  If your kids hate it, they can move back-but wouldn't they love to be able to say, "Oh yes, I lived in Europe"?  Even if this move was one I didn't want to make, how could I deny my daughter the experience?
It also sounds like you have more family there, I could be mistaken but I got the impression that you're not very close to your side (physically, I mean) and it might be nice to be closer to a branch of the family that you haven't been able to see as much.
Personally, I love England and can't wait to go-the decision was a real no-brainer for me.
Good luck!

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 06:48:22 AM »
It seems as if we are on different ends of the spectrum.  My children are 5 and 2 and my husband was born in Plymouth but spent most of his childhood in Oxford.  We met 10 years ago and to make a long story short we will be married 9 years in September.  He gave up everything and came to America so we could be together.  He came over with 2 suitcases literally and we are now in the process of packing out things to fit in a 20ft container!  We will be moving to the UK the first week of June.

It was a long process to come to the decision to move.  America has a very seductive lifestyle.  I am not saying that it is good or bad but it is different from the UK.  Though my husband is English he has become very Americanized.  It will definitely be a culture adjustment for both of us.  We always new that a move to the UK was a when and not an if.  I don't have much family and his family is a little more extended.  We think we would regret not giving the UK a try and letting our children experience the culture as well as having family around.  

I want to look back on life and see what places I been and the things I've done rather than wondering what if.  Don't get me wrong I am scared out of my mind sometimes and as I sell off my things for a fraction of what they cost I wonder if I am down right crazy!

At the end of the day (in my opinion) when all is said and done family is the most important.  If you think you would be happier being near family then it really doesn't matter the obstacles because your adjust and overcome.

Sorry to ramble...I guess if I tell someone else it reinforces it for me!

Good luck,

Kathy

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 11:01:26 AM »
I really can't add much to the great words already written. I came from Naples, FL 5 years ago and have never once regretted my decision. History and seasons, ah yes!

Is your husband planning to retire from law enforcement? If he plans to continue, I would imagine he'd do quite well finding a job here with his experience.

I think giving your kids an experience of your husband's homeland is great...afterall, it's their blood.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 08:14:11 PM »
Thanks for all the words of advice and wisdom! The children have been to England many times to visit the Grandparents so they are a little aware of British life but until you are there full time you dont really know for sure how things will be. One of them was born there and has a father that is a citizen. She is able to go to University and be on National Insurance and all that. The other 2 were born in California and Germany, does anyone know if they are entitled to citizenship through their father? Or must you be born there?
Yes, hubby has a huge family and they are all very close. I would be living near Honiton. Is anyone close to there? Are their meetings where Americans can get together?
I am an only child and my parents are divorced. My Dad lives here in Florida and has health concerns. He is retired military. How difficult would it be to bring him? Immigration wise I mean? Once again, thanks for the replies.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 08:35:19 PM »
Regarding your childrens' citizenship:

Yes, they are entitled to British citizenship if their father was a British citizen at the time of their birth-the IND website will tell you how to register them as such.  (The fee is about 120 pounds per person).  They are considered British citizens "by descent" which means that while they are citizens, they cannot generally pass that citizenship on to their children (unless they are living in the UK at the time that their children are born).  Again, see the IND website for more info on this.

Either way, as long as they are minors it should not be at all difficult to bring them to the UK with you if you do not want to register them as citizens.  I am posting a link I found about dual citizenship in the Nationality/Immigration part of this site in a few minutes.

As far as your father goes-if he needs care/help and has no other relatives living near him, you have a good shot at bringing him with you.  The IND website is http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/    

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links