Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finally starting to make this place a home!  (Read 10846 times)

• Liked: 1
Finally starting to make this place a home!
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
I've been living in the UK for 4 years as of this July. I'm only just starting to do things to make it feel more like home. The reason I put things off for so long was partly to do with me being shy and partly to do with the fact that I had this hope of moving back to the States. My husband's spousal visa to move to the States was denied in November and because of his circumstances we won't be reapplying until 2016 at the earliest. Now that I know I'm here to stay for awhile, I decided it was time to stop living like a hermit and staying shut up inside my house with my two kids all the time.

I started going to water aerobics once a week. I've been curious about it for probably over a year and I was too nervous to go by myself. I finally gathered the nerve to just do it and I went to the women's only session at our local leisure centre that is so close I can see it when I look out our front door. I LOVE it! It's so much fun (and this coming from someone who is seriously out of shape and overweight) and the people there are pretty friendly.

I knocked on the door of a neighbor who has a son that's my daughter's age to see if she wanted to go with me to the stay and play at the local children's centre. She invited me over for tea the next afternoon and we have plans of going with each other to the stay and play. She also knows other moms close by that she was talking about introducing me to.

I FINALLY took the bus for the first time by myself. I went to the city centre to go to the market. Not only did I get some independence and time to myself, but I also got some awesome deals on fruits and veggies. That's become a weekly trip that I take.

I'm planning on learning to drive here in August after I return from a trip to the States.

My point of this post is to say that if you are living here and you're doing it minimally because you're not sure where you might be in the near future, stop it! I was miserable for the better part of last year and I am so much happier these days for actually getting out there and making a life for myself. I'm so shy it borders on painful, so if I can do it then I'm pretty convinced anybody can do it. :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Finally starting to make this place a home!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:40:09 PM »
Well done to you!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »
Great advice.  :)
Moving to Manchester area this summer with my husband and three children!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:16:42 AM »
What a wonderful, heartwarming post. Yay you!

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
Nice one!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 10:21:40 AM »
Nice job!  :)  It's hard to get in to a new lifestyle and it's easy to get stuck in old ruts.  :)  Thanks for the inspiration!  :)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »

My point of this post is to say that if you are living here and you're doing it minimally because you're not sure where you might be in the near future, stop it!

Oh wow, I love your post! I have found myself doing pretty much the same thing, but in reverse as I am still in the US...

I am moving over in October and have been keeping myself from getting involved in any sort of group, club, class, because I think whats the point, I will be gone once I really get into it, but your post has given me the tiny kick in the butt I need to get motivated to get out there and get involved in some sort of something, even if it is only til October :)

PS, I like your blog too!

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »
etter late than never!  Goodfor you on overcoming your shyness and putting yourself out there.  Sounds like it's really paid dividends!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 03:06:12 PM »
That's wonderful!  Thank you for posting this, I'm sure it will help a lot of other people :)
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
What a great post!  :)
Love it! It's so difficult to step out of your comfort zone like that, good for you!
I hope I can do that more myself..

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »
Excellent post! :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Liked: 36
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »

• Liked: 7
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
WooHoo!  Happy to hear that you've put yourself out there!

I guess this is something we all need to be reminded every now and again, so thanks for sharing. I suppose this also means that I will be sending that email organizing a trip to the pub after work tomorrow.   :)
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »
your post has given me the tiny kick in the butt I need to get motivated to get out there and get involved in some sort of something, even if it is only til October :)

PS, I like your blog too!

Thank you so much! And thanks everyone else. I've started taking the kids out to more play sessions in the area as well. I've got a whole new outlook on things now that I have more of a life here!

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
Thank you so much! And thanks everyone else. I've started taking the kids out to more play sessions in the area as well. I've got a whole new outlook on things now that I have more of a life here!

Love this post! I'm a firm believer that you reap what you sow! What good you put into the experience you will def. get out of it! I'm so glad that you have been able to find that happiness!!

This post really was encouraging! Thanks!  :)
~Amberelle

Sponsored Links