Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: YAY!!!! I'M GOING H.O.M.E. FINALLY!!!!  (Read 13942 times)

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
Re: YAY!!!! I'M GOING H.O.M.E. FINALLY!!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 01:07:31 AM »
Thank you sooooo much!!!! I wrote all of this info down! I will report back! ha ha
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Liked: 82
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 03:28:58 AM »
That's awesome, Lara! :D

I, too, hope you get your fill of whatever you most love.  My personal list would be (in no particular order):

bagel
pizza
stromboli
cheesteak w/fried onions
Italian hoagie
cannoli
wonton soup
Italian wedding soup
some fantastic Mexican food
Tastykake "Tastyklair" and "Peanut Butter Tandykakes"
and a boatload of Crystal Light :D

Just some ideas....... :D

Have a fantastic time!

Oddly enough I had a slice and an Italian hoagie today :)

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
ha ha well done! Was that in Brooklyn???? What part?
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »
ha ha well done! Was that in Brooklyn???? What part?

Yea. Live in Bay Ridge, right by the Verrazano Bridge...Which is still hipster free.  Tho they do come and hang out sometimes

• Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »
Yea. Live in Bay Ridge, right by the Verrazano Bridge...Which is still hipster free.  Tho they do come and hang out sometimes

Hi, neighbor! I live in Bay Ridge, too. And the hipsters are coming, so I hear. We're getting a beer garden soon to cater to them. :)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
Oddly enough I had a slice and an Italian hoagie today :)

I'm going to cry. :(

What exactly is a "hipster"? 

British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 07:56:25 PM »
I'm going to cry. :(

Erm, it's sort of a hard thing to describe to someone who hasn't seen one. It's a subculture centered in places like Williamsburg/Bushwick, Brooklyn and Portland and San Francisco. They were the first to adopt things like skinny jeans and often wear vintage clothing. A lot of what they wear is kind of ugly or unflattering, which they wear "ironically." They often have lots of visible tattoos. They are often involved in creative professions and stereotypically they are often said to live off of trust funds (although this isn't necessarily true). They're the kind of person who likes super indie bands and gets upset when the music they like gets popular.

They're generally politically and socially very liberal and into things like veganism and Occupy Wall Street. They also drink terrible beer (like PBR) ironically but also probably talk about how awesome craft beer is.

Have you seen the TV show Girls? Jessa is a hipster. Hannah is a hipster. Marnie and Shoshanna not as much. Ray? Absolutely. Charlie? Basically the hipster poster child.

Hipsters are kind of a self-loathing subculture. Even hipsters make fun of hipsters and claim not to be so.

I guess I'm kind of a hipster, in some ways, although I do not dress like one (I don't even wear skinny jeans tucked into boots). But I live in Brooklyn (didn't grow up here), love liberal politics, am mostly a vegetarian, love farmer's markets/CSAs and only drink craft beer. Then again, I'm terrible at finding new bands and am happy to embrace my very un-hipster love of Springsteen, am not particularly creative and have no tattoos and would never get one. But for Bay Ridge, I can kind be classified as a hipster. Maybe.

Anyone else have a better explanation of hipster-ness? I feel like I am probably being very confusing.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »
Is Justin Timberlake a hipster now? He wears those glasses....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 0
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »

Have no fear! This video will explain everything! British but it's universally applicable! :D Being a Dickhead's Cool

Aimlesstraveler! Don't forget Austin! :D I remember visiting my friends who lived in Brooklyn and they referred to the first two stops on the L (I think?) line going into Brooklyn as the Hipster Exodus  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:38:17 PM by RAR »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Have no fear! This video will explain everything! British but it's universally applicable! :D Being a Dickhead's Cool

Aimlesstraveler! Don't forget Austin! :D I remember visiting my friends who lived in Brooklyn and they referred to the first two stops on the L (I think?) line going into Brooklyn as the Hipster Exodus  ;D

At this point in the game, it's well past the first two stops on the L. In fact, probably more bankers and so forth live off Bedford (the first stop) than proper hipsters. :)

And of course, plenty of other cities have hipsters. But (I think) that Brooklyn, Portland and SF were really the original places where the subculture started.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 12:43:26 AM »
Williamsburg is a special, special place full of a special, ultimate type of hipster.   ;D But yeah, it's definitely spreading out. Bushwick and Bed Stuy for sure.

It's strange, for all the gentrification that's been happening in Jersey City now that people are getting priced out of Brooklyn, we still don't really have hipsters. Not Williamsburg hipsters anyway. Punks and weirdos, yes (of which I am one, admittedly) but it's just not the same. Maybe living in New Jersey and being a bridge-and-tunneler isn't ironic enough for them yet?  :P

But most of the gentrification is being done by financial types since the PATH goes directly to the World Trade Center, so that might be part of it.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »
Don't forget the fact they try really hard to to appear as tho they are not trying hard.
I guess I'm kind of a hipster, in some ways, although I do not dress like one (I don't even wear skinny jeans tucked into boots). But I live in Brooklyn (didn't grow up here), love liberal politics, am mostly a vegetarian, love farmer's markets/CSAs and only drink craft beer.

This does not make you a hipster.  I didn't grow up in Brooklyn either.  Because the majority of hipsters are are trust fund funded and really have never had an afterschool job ie. fast food, waiting tables,  is there love of liberal politics.  Tho, as a bartender, I have spoken to some hipsters who actually are quite conservative. Tho when I pointed that out to them they got very angry.  Had them tell me the only right way to be was vegetarian, but bumped into them at the dinner eating a bacon cheese burger.

And I love farmers markets.....and I am the most unhipster person around.

As for them being here.......they come to Bay Ridge, but for now they don't live here.  But since we have a ton of old man bars they are venturing here.  But very rarely.   

• Liked: 0
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
Please please please....go to Rice to Riches? pleeeeaaaase? for me? ::sniffle::

my husband and I have been arguing over what a "Calzone" is. We made our own and I just stared at him as he put sauce in his.  And he stared right back as I just put mozz and ricotta and ham LOL.

I hope to have enough money to go back myself soon.  If it weren't for the kids, we'd be over there.  I would have made a really good salary again

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
Don't forget the fact they try really hard to to appear as tho they are not trying hard.
This does not make you a hipster.  I didn't grow up in Brooklyn either.  Because the majority of hipsters are are trust fund funded and really have never had an afterschool job ie. fast food, waiting tables,  is there love of liberal politics.  Tho, as a bartender, I have spoken to some hipsters who actually are quite conservative. Tho when I pointed that out to them they got very angry.  Had them tell me the only right way to be was vegetarian, but bumped into them at the dinner eating a bacon cheese burger.

And I love farmers markets.....and I am the most unhipster person around.

As for them being here.......they come to Bay Ridge, but for now they don't live here.  But since we have a ton of old man bars they are venturing here.  But very rarely.   

Do you bartend in the neighborhood?

I kind of love the old man bars but I would never ever tell anyone that vegetarianism is the only way to go.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »
J J Bubbles is my favorite Bay Ridge old man bar.

ETA: I should add, I like old man bars because they don't generally play loud music (which I hate at bars where I just want to chat with a friend over a pint), they're cheap (no explanation needed), and no one bothers you. Basically, I am an old man on the inside. It's the same reason I went to old man pubs in Glasgow.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:17:23 PM by NoseOverTail »
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab