Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I am stuck!  (Read 3478 times)

• Liked: 0
I am stuck!
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »
Hello.  I know what some of you will say but I want to vent or speak my piece.  I am waiting to go home to my fiance and be married to him but I am having to wait til he gets thru with a business contract and have the money to bring me home.  But I don't know whether to get a short term job or just wait.  I know working will help me by keeping my mind occupied but also, it will help me save money for myself as well.  We are looking at hopefully 5 months max before we can start working on being together. 

Plus, it actually is so hard to find a short-term job where I am at.  In the meantime, we communicate via emails and a phone call every now and then.   We send pictures once in a while too.   I just want to do more tho.   I am tired of sitting here doing nothing and twiddling my thumbs looking at the calendar.  I have looked for jobs.  Nothing has come up yet tho. 
Met my Brit on April 28, 2012

• Liked: 223
Re: I am stuck!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
I was back for 5 months before applying for my Fiance Visa, so I know how it feels.  :)

I didn't work those five months so I spent my time doing crafts, going for bike rides (I was living in a rural area and would go on adventures up the logging roads), taking hikes, cooking yummy food, finding new recipes, growing veg (it was summer and DH did the same), visiting family and spending time in my hometown.

DH and I Skyped every day and regularly sent photos of what we were doing, what we cooked, how our plants were doing and funny things we saw throughout the day.  :)

I also spent a lot of time going through my stuff and giving away as much as I could.  I think I gave more to Goodwill than I brought with me!  It was easier to get motivated to go through everything after I had sent in my application, but once I started, I would spend 4-5 hours a day packing.  :)

I also spent a lot of time exploring the UKBA website and forums like this to be sure I had everything ready when I came time for us to apply and I knew what to expect for visas down the road.  :)

I know how it feels to be stuck, but if there's anything you've always wanted to do or learn but not had the time for, well...... you've got time now!  :)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »
I don't know what work you've done in the past or what your skills are, but what about temping?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
I only had a four month wait, and I got a job. I started off looking for short-term but in the end I just didn't mention it with the job that I eventually got. It was only in retail so they're probably used to a high turnover and I gave lots of notice and my boss/co-workers were sad to see me go and didn't think that I had messed them around or anything like that. I would definitely recommend getting a job even if it is just a junky one like I had.

We had the communication amped up compared to you guys though. Hours of skype, emails, packages and letters. DH stayed up until almost 1 most nights, to catch me after work and I always woke up by 7 so we could chat during his lunch. It was a difficult time for me (unrelated to the separation, although I would imagine that didn't help!) though so we were talking more than usual.

It's a hard time, but as you say, it's not forever!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
Maybe you could come to the UK as a visitor for a month or so before applying for your fiance visa?  Based on your other posts, it seems like you've never been to the UK or haven't spent much time here.  It's a big move to make without having any experience of what you're getting yourself into.  Just a thought :).
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
TravelingFrog> That is exactly what I have done. Got rid of a bunch of stuffs.  Now I am down to 4 small boxes of my books & pictures.  I am keeping busy going thru the UKBA site as well, getting myself ready and knowing ahead of time what I will need to do to go over there.  And I am keeping busy with forums like this as well.

Historyenne> I was thinking of doing that but do I have to have a tourist visa?  But I know deep down inside I will fit right in with the English cuz I am 1/3 English and parts of my life in the past has led up to this point.  I have a blog going detailing my destiny to the UK.  Someday, I will show all of you my blog.   Also, my fiance wants to come over here to see America as well. 

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
Historyenne> I was thinking of doing that but do I have to have a tourist visa?  But I know deep down inside I will fit right in with the English cuz I am 1/3 English and parts of my life in the past has led up to this point.  I have a blog going detailing my destiny to the UK.  Someday, I will show all of you my blog.   Also, my fiance wants to come over here to see America as well. 

Well, a tourist visa is the only way you can come to the UK before you have a fiance visa - every person who visits the UK on vacation must have a tourist visa... you cannot enter the country without one.

You don't necessarily have to apply for it in advance, but you will be given one by the immigration officer at the airport when you arrive (it will be a stamp in your passport).

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
Oh, so I can just arrive say at Heathrow and tell them I am there for a pleasure trip cuz I know they ask everyone who comes thru their gates what is the purpose or nature of your trip.  Then they stamp a little tourist visa thing in my passport.  That is how is done??

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
Oh, so I can just arrive say at Heathrow and tell them I am there for a pleasure trip cuz I know they ask everyone who comes thru their gates what is the purpose or nature of your trip.  Then they stamp a little tourist visa thing in my passport.  That is how is done??

Yep, that's how it's done - same goes for pretty much any other country you visit, unless they are countries that require you to apply for a visa in advance of travel.

They'll just ask you why you are in the UK, what for, how long for, where you're staying, who with, etc. and then if they believe that you are a genuine visitor (as most people are), they will stamp you into the UK as a visitor.

• Britannicaine
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
Have you and your fiance not met in person?

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
Yes, we have met in person.    :)

• Britannicaine
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »
Yes, we have met in person.    :)

OK.  You implied that he hadn't been to the US and you hadn't been to the UK so I wondered. 

I'd strongly recommend you spending some time in the UK before you move.  It is really, truly a different country, and simply having English ancestors is no guarantee that you'll like it here.  Plenty of people have felt it was their "destiny" to move and ended up hating it.  Before you start planning your naturalisation, it's a good idea just to make sure that the UK is everything you think it will be :).

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:04:36 AM »
I have a blog going detailing my destiny to the UK.  Someday, I will show all of you my blog.   Also, my fiance wants to come over here to see America as well. 

Oh, I look forward to reading that, maybe because I'm nosey and like reading peoples blogs, and like reading about peoples integration and experiences of the UK to compare with DW's
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »
I was in the UK for 5 months as a visitor, before going back and getting my fiance visa. Left at the beginning of September, was back with my fiance visa at the beginning of October LOL. Married in November.

Anyway...yes, you can visit the UK before going back to get your fiance visa. You will need to show you can support yourself while your here.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
I will be going there for a visit this summer and staying for about 4 months as a tourist but doing it like that you don't have to show any documentation about supporting yourself unless you are talking about the fiance visa then yes, you will have to show that. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab