Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Transferring Credit/Applying As a Transfer  (Read 1761 times)

• It's so nice to meet you <3
  • Liked: 0
Transferring Credit/Applying As a Transfer
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:40:43 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here and new to this process so bear with me...

I'm a college student here in Virginia! I'm studying Classical Archaeology and I have my Freshman year completed and will be completing my Sophomore year here as well. I've been looking at schools in the UK and I tend to find plenty of information about international students, but not international "transfer" students...will I actually be able to transfer any of my credits from over here to there? Is that question very specific to each university?? Also, I had a lot of AP credits that got me out of classes here in the US, so will they still count in the UK? And will they want to see those AP scores or will it not matter since I'm a transfer student (assuming they let me do that at all... :( )?
We can't achieve anything great without a great struggle

Re: Transferring Credit/Applying As a Transfer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:46:01 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here and new to this process so bear with me...

I'm a college student here in Virginia! I'm studying Classical Archaeology and I have my Freshman year completed and will be completing my Sophomore year here as well. I've been looking at schools in the UK and I tend to find plenty of information about international students, but not international "transfer" students...will I actually be able to transfer any of my credits from over here to there? Is that question very specific to each university?? Also, I had a lot of AP credits that got me out of classes here in the US, so will they still count in the UK? And will they want to see those AP scores or will it not matter since I'm a transfer student (assuming they let me do that at all... :( )?

Welcome to the forum! We've had a few here do what you wish to do so it is definitely possible. A lot of it will be up to the university, but you can transfer US credits and AP courses (at least score 3, but 4 and 5 really preferred). For your credits to transfer, they will have to be related to the degree you'll study. General education courses don't usually transfer but courses related to classically archaeology will. I would recommend looking at the course list for your degree course of the universities you wish to attend to get an idea of what may or may not transfer. Courses in England (Wales too I believe?) are usually 3 year courses (Scotland usually 4 years), so if your courses will transfer, I imagine you'll go straight into year 2. Keep in mind that UK courses don't really have gen-ed so if you decided to 'change major' it's a much larger hurdle than in the US, usually meaning you'll have to start all over from first year.

Generally, in order to do this, you'll need apply as a year 2 or 3 applicant, you'll need transcripts and AP score sheets. Don't worry if they're sealed or not, they're not as strict about this as they are in the US x_x Once you apply, get into contact with the international student adviser at the university and ask them what documents they want. You'll have to pardon my scrambled brain, it's been a while since I did this myself... :P When are you going to apply?
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• It's so nice to meet you <3
Re: Transferring Credit/Applying As a Transfer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:12:31 AM »
Well I want to finish my 2nd year here, so some time next year, not really sure when to go about doing that in all honesty. That's really good to know though, so I can take more major requirements here this upcoming year rather than general ed!!  ;D I'm just thrilled to know it's a possibility, I was starting to get a little nervous!
We can't achieve anything great without a great struggle

Sponsored Links