Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help!  (Read 6343 times)

• Liked: 7
Re: Help!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/tuition_fees_e_he.php

Thank you for sharing this link, sah! 

Looking at the conditions of Category 3, it seems I may be eligible to start a PhD under the home fees about a year sooner than I had thought.  Woohoo! 

Do you know anything about how this information ties into funding  through Research Councils, which appear to follow the "Education (Fees and Awards) Regulations 1997 (Statutory Instrument 1997 No. 1972) and subsequent amendments" for defining eligibility?  It looks like ILR is a requirement for those, based on Page 2 of the BBSRC Guide to Studentship Eligibility, so maybe that's where some of the confusion is stemming from?
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
Do you know anything about how this information ties into funding  through Research Councils, which appear to follow the "Education (Fees and Awards) Regulations 1997 (Statutory Instrument 1997 No. 1972) and subsequent amendments" for defining eligibility? 

Those regulations define who is eligible for home fees, as itemised on UKCISA's website.  They also define who is eligible for student support (loans and grants) for undergraduate courses.  If the Research Councils follow that same eligibility as the Regulations, someone who meets Category 3 for home fees would be eligible for Student Support in the equivalent Category (numbered on UKCISA's website 2, not 3, confusingly) for Student Support:

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Student-support/Applying-in-England/Who-is-eligible/

Note that an undergraduate eligible for student support in this category would only be eligible for help with tuition fees, not with living costs.   If the Research Councils mirror that, you would have the same reduced eligibility, compared to those eligible in other categories.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »
Those regulations define who is eligible for home fees, as itemised on UKCISA's website.  They also define who is eligible for student support (loans and grants) for undergraduate courses.

If the Research Councils mirror that, you would have the same reduced eligibility, compared to those eligible in other categories.

Thanks for digging this up for me.  It makes a lot more sense in this format compared to trying to read through all the legal regulation documents!!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was confused about the ILR for home fees thing! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab