Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: entering uk before tier 2 visa start date  (Read 5589 times)

• Liked: 0
entering uk before tier 2 visa start date
« on: July 10, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
So we just got our passports back with our Tier 2 Visas inside. As per the UKBA website, they have a start date exactly 2 weeks before my job begins (I'm a teacher). My question is about entering the country before that start date. Is it possible? Our US lease is up at the 1st of the month, and the visa date is the 18th- which is going to make for a craptastic 18 homeless/hotel days with a toddler in tow.

Can we enter the UK on a tourist visa, and explain that I understand I can't work before my visa date? Will they insist that we have an outbound ticket to somewhere (Paris seems like the easy choice here), thus insuring we go through immigration again on the start date? I haven't gotten a clear answer on this yet via any other interwebbing, so hit me with your knowledge, O wise UK Yankee community!

• Liked: 4985
Re: entering uk before tier 2 visa start date
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »
Yes, you will have to leave the UK and re-enter on or after you the date on your visa to get the visa stamped.

If you come in earlier you will have a visitor stamp (and entry will be at the discretion of the IO).  Not having your visa stamped before you start work could open a big can on worms for you and your company.

But as you say, if you have an onward journey and ease the IO's concerns, you should be able to enter the UK prior to the start.  But you will need to exit and re-enter, just remember not to try to do this with the Republic of Ireland.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
I am in the same situation and just figured this out! We likewise don't have any place to stay in the US for the 10 days prior to my visa start date, and I had planned to fly over in mid-August. I would be glad to enter on the visitor visa and then depart/re-enter, but does this court danger with the immigration officers? Is holding an outbound ticket the best way to indicate an intent to depart/re-enter or are there other things we can do? I am worried about creating problems by trying to enter before the start of my work visa. Thanks very much for your advice on this!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:25:31 PM »
This question has come up here a few times before and basically the answer is unclear. It's usually advisable to just wait until your visa start date to arrive. This is because the problem with entering on a visit visa in this scenario is that you are not in fact a genuine visitor. You're basically trying to tack extra time onto your work/spouse/whatever visa, which you're not entitled to.

It's not strictly against the rules, but it could cause unnecessary hassle, especially if you get a fussy IO.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »
Thanks very much for this. Just to clarify - if we enter as visitors before the start of the Tier 2 visa, we should depart and re-enter after the start date of the visa, is that correct? E.g. if our work visas begin on Aug 18, but we entered as visitors on Aug 10, we could depart/re-enter on say Aug 20?

Yes, you will have to leave the UK and re-enter on or after you the date on your visa to get the visa stamped.

If you come in earlier you will have a visitor stamp (and entry will be at the discretion of the IO).  Not having your visa stamped before you start work could open a big can on worms for you and your company.

But as you say, if you have an onward journey and ease the IO's concerns, you should be able to enter the UK prior to the start.  But you will need to exit and re-enter, just remember not to try to do this with the Republic of Ireland.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
Yes, you just need to leave before the visitor visa ends.  But it would be best to come in on the Tier 2 as close to the start date as possible (for instance, August 20 as you said). 

Just remember that it's likely but not guaranteed that you won't have any problems.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
So, we just found out we may have a similar situation....Our company told us that we couldn't go on our house hunting trip until we had our visas approved. So, we did our applications (Tier 2 ICT for him, dependent for me) and then had our biometrics today. Our visa start date has been requested for Sept 1...And our house hunting trip is tentatively scheduled for Aug 1-10 (pending us getting our passports back from the consulate in NY). So, I'm now slightly concerned that we may be refused entry, even though we will clearly have a return ticket when we get there that is far before our visa start date. If we can't do the house hunting trip before Sept 1, we're pretty much SOL, as we have no place to move to (other than temporary housing, which isn't a great destination for our shipment of household stuff and our dogs!).

Thoughts or advice are much appreciated!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
So, we just found out we may have a similar situation....Our company told us that we couldn't go on our house hunting trip until we had our visas approved. So, we did our applications (Tier 2 ICT for him, dependent for me) and then had our biometrics today. Our visa start date has been requested for Sept 1...And our house hunting trip is tentatively scheduled for Aug 1-10 (pending us getting our passports back from the consulate in NY). So, I'm now slightly concerned that we may be refused entry, even though we will clearly have a return ticket when we get there that is far before our visa start date. If we can't do the house hunting trip before Sept 1, we're pretty much SOL, as we have no place to move to (other than temporary housing, which isn't a great destination for our shipment of household stuff and our dogs!).

Thoughts or advice are much appreciated!

You *should* be fine.  You have a return ticket and explain to the IO that you are there to look for a home.

Keep in mind that it will take a couple of weeks for your belongings to clear customs.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
You *should* be fine.  You have a return ticket and explain to the IO that you are there to look for a home.

Keep in mind that it will take a couple of weeks for your belongings to clear customs.

Phew! That's a relief. Thanks.

Our moving company told us to expect 4-6 weeks for shipping + customs...Does that sound right? We're trying to plan so that most of our temp housing stay is before we leave, with just a short stint once we get over there (easier to find temp housing that takes dogs over here).

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 02:41:25 AM »
Thanks again to all for your helpful advice. For what it's worth, today I consulted with a UK immigration lawyer about this question, and he gave me the same advice - that the critical factor was demonstrating understanding and intent to depart and return, with booked travel. He also said that this is standard practice for his clients. So thanks to this forum for sharing your collective wisdom - this lawyer charges a pretty penny for it!

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 03:40:53 AM »
Does anyone have any success stories of doing this?

My girlfriend got a tier 5 charity worker visa that doesn't have permission to enter until August 20th but I need to leave the US June 25th. So we want to come and stay with my parents, visit family and visit parts of the Uk and then go to France mid August for a vacation before returning to the Uk and stamping her visa.

I have heard its possible if she has proof of funds and proof of a ticket to France but wanted to see if people were successful or had run into issues?

Thanks

• Liked: 47
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »
I have friends that did this successfully prior to a tier 4 start date.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
Thank you for responding that's great to hear others have been successful. Lookslike if I am well prepared I will be ok.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 05:42:22 AM »
Does anyone know if refused entry as a visitor before would this cancel the tier 5 visa?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
No, it wouldn't.

Sponsored Links