Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help! Student questions  (Read 2226 times)

• Liked: 0
Help! Student questions
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:18:41 AM »
So this whole process is so very confusing.
I apologize in advance for this long post.

Background:
I'm in my final year of highschool, and it's about to be "choosing a college/university" time

I plan on graduating with a solid 3.0 (not too great I know). I already have one AP test done, having scored a 4 on English Lang. This senior year I plan on doing AP psych , AP Government, AP Economics, And AP English Literature.  But usually test results don't come in until June-July. And I have my SAT results but plan on retaking in October.

Current Situation:

I'd love to study over in the UK right from the get go. The course of study I'd like to Pursue is Medicine.

The Universities I'd like to go to are :
University of Sheffield
University of Nottingham.

I'm leaning heavily on the First choice.

Questions:
With my GPA and Current classes that ill be taking, is that enough some requirements?

Can someone walk me through the Student Visa application process?

When should I apply and dates I should watch out for?

Any other information I Should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
And sorry if I don't make too much sense ~

• Liked: 4
Re: Help! Student questions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:21:54 AM »
First question: are you comfortable with the tuition costs for an overseas student? The tuition for a medical student starts at £16,640 per year and then goes up to £30,080 (!!) for the final three years.  Remember that does not cover living costs.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:03:16 AM »
You'll have to contact individual unis directly for their requirements, but I would imagine that with no biology, chemistry, or mathematics classes, you'll have a hard time getting into a medical programme. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
You'll have to contact individual unis directly for their requirements, but I would imagine that with no biology, chemistry, or mathematics classes, you'll have a hard time getting into a medical programme. 

Yes, in order to get into a medical degree in the UK, you usually need A levels in Chemistry and at least one other science (Biology, Physics, Maths or Psychology)  although, usually people apply with at least 3 sciences - a common combination is Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths... and usually you need to have straight As to be accepted... so for a US student, that would mean high AP grades or college level classes in those subjects.

I'm British and I took A levels in Physics, Maths and Geography (I got AAB grades - B in Maths), but I would not have been allowed to apply to study medicine with just those subjects because I didn't take Chemistry.

It can be difficult to get into a medical programme, purely because of the number of applicant - I see on the Sheffield Uni website that for 2013, they received over 3,000 applications for less than 250 places on the medicine degree - so there is often stiff competition for places.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab