Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone interested in a London Meetup?  (Read 3414 times)

• Liked: 0
Anyone interested in a London Meetup?
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
I don't know a single soul on here, but I thought I'd put myself out there.

Is anyone interested in a London meet up sometime next week?  :)

When I used to be on a motorcycle forum you listed your bikes here.  On the travel forum the countries you'd been to.  Photography, your cameras / lenses.  Somehow here it's bureaucratic BS survived!  Tier 1, fiance/spouse visa, ILR, AHHH!!!!!!  I feel like putting the fees...

Re: Anyone interested in a London Meetup?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »
Somewhere in Euston / King's Cross area?

When I used to be on a motorcycle forum you listed your bikes here.  On the travel forum the countries you'd been to.  Photography, your cameras / lenses.  Somehow here it's bureaucratic BS survived!  Tier 1, fiance/spouse visa, ILR, AHHH!!!!!!  I feel like putting the fees...

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
Hope you get some interest in this, maat1976!

I know in one of your other posts you said you were hesitant to use Meetup.com, but the London Expat American meetup group on there does seem fairly active. I don't know but I don't get the impression it's a 'hook up' kind of deal.

http://www.meetup.com/americansabroad/

Also, there are a number of American expats in the UK groups on Facebook too, if you're on there at all.

Good luck!  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Oh! At one time, there was a London Book Club ongoing that was announced here on UKY - this is the last thread on it:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=73838.0

I think sometimes book clubs don't always meet through the summer, but might be worth sending Karrit a PM to see if it's still ongoing?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:48:02 PM by Mrs Robinson »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 06:37:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just moved to London about a week ago and I do not know anyone other than DH and my in-laws. I would loved to meet up with some expats. So are we having a London meetup then ..if so please let me know . I would love to meet up with you all.

Madi

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »
THanks for that link to the Meetup group.  I've signed up for it and they seem to have a lot of events, which is good. 

Still game for next week if anyone's down.

Claudia

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:09 PM »
So anyone in this group interested in doing a London meetup then? When is a good time for you all. Please let me know. How do most people who moved to London cope with the the culture shock, enduring the distance, missing home. I need help. I think I am getting depressed from missing home so badly. I need some friends :( :( :( :(

:( :( :(

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
I've been having a horrible time lately, so I would be glad to meet up! Kings Cross is fine for me. My weekend is filled up this week and next, but happy to meet after work (I could be at KC by 6) and any night next week but Tuesday. Snacks? Coffees? Drinks? Or we could just take turns going into shops and asking, "Howdy Partner, can you tell me where platform 9 and 3/4's is?" in our best New Texifornia accents.

I think book club is still going, but on summer break.
Sometimes I amaze even myself.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
Right. How's about Wednesday then?

My train gets into Kings X at 630, so anytime after that works for me.

There are a few pubs 6-7 walk min away across City Road that are good. I will get their links and then see what you guys think.

C

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
I can't vouch for this place having never been but it looks kinda cute:

http://www.simmonsbar.co.uk/#

C

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »
Hello all,

So what date did you all decide to meet up? I am trying to sort out my visa stuff so can we do it week after next or would be it too much trouble? Also this is a bit of a silly question but how do I get to King's Crossing from Victoria what line do I take? Sorry I hate asking my husband about every single detail. Let me know folks I am excited :) :)

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »
Everything you need to get around London can be found on the Transport for London website:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Their journey planner is great, and I find the timings to be pretty good.  Plus there are loads of lovely maps available too!

P.S. It's King's Cross, not Crossing, just correcting you so you can find it when looking up your route.

P.P.S. you take the Victoria line northbound (light blue line) from Victoria straight to King's Cross.  Tube map here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:57:26 PM by rbbarch »

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
I was hoping to do it next Wednesday (Aug 28th) because I'm travelling the following week for work.  It's super easy from Victoria.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »
Any progress on this? Wednesday August 28 (now tomorrow) would be fine for me. Maybe around 6?

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »
Sorry - I missed the other post! 6:30 is fine!

Sponsored Links