Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work...how's it going?  (Read 2538 times)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Work...how's it going?
« on: April 05, 2003, 11:52:29 PM »
I am currently looking for employment parttime..looking for a career change as well...i would appreciate reading anyones experiences of first work or looking for employment in the UK....please...pretty please....thanks guys you are the best
he he ;D
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Re: Work...how's it going?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 06:42:49 AM »
thanx guys..really appreciate it  ;)....hehe..

anyhow still on the hunt...sure something will turn up...excited about working....keeping busy
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 01:53:04 PM »
Hey, Blondshania.  I'm sorry I missed this first time around.  What sort of work are you looking for?  Are you still going to school?  Have you looked for jobs connected with the University?  Good luck.  I've just started working in September, after not working for 13 years.  It's been a real shock, but I have to say that I really enjoy it.  It's a cashier job, which works for me because there's no stress involved.  And the people I work with are a real laugh-I've learned some new phrases and started betting on things-can't believe what I've been missing. ;)
Anyway, hang in there and hope everything goes well.   :)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 03:42:12 PM »
Have you been to a recruitment agency? They can be helpful, even though they're slightly annoying. The trouble is finding an agency that really looks out for your best interests. (kinda hard to find) I have some really nightmare stories with a certain recruitment agency but others have been a delight to work with. (luckily, this certain recruitment agency is local, so you needn't worry if you're not in Leeds.)

I've been temping since I arrived here and had a multitude of jobs. All have been administration, but they've ranged from the government to a family owned air conditioning supplier. I think it's been fantastic because it's really shown me where I work best and what I like the most. Now that I know what I want I can go out and get the job best for me.

I'm currently working for William Hill. It's  a temp to perm job because I'm working on a new project and it might not go through. But I don't want to talk about it much in case I jinx myself. I've had a hard run of luck lately when it comes to jobs and now I'm a bit weary. So far the job is great. I think I'm settling in well.

Good luck on the job front, looking for work is never easy. Being one of the most stressful things a human being can do, it can really wear you down. But stay positive and you'll find it in no time!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 07:16:12 PM »
I've heard that temp agencies are a good place to start, if I'd had a vehicle I nearly had a job just walking in to one agency. In the end, I still haven't gotten a job, I decided it would be too difficult sorting out childcare.

I did notice on the US Embassy website that they have openings, might be worth a look.  :-/

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 06:17:10 PM »
I did the whole recruitment agency thing as well and ended up getting my job through the local paper.  Your best bet would be to register with several agencies and also check the paper.  Yah it's a bit of a hastle but at least it's something!  I also registered with some places online like www.reed.co.uk and www.monster.co.uk.  GOOD LUCK! ;D

• Liked: 24
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2003, 01:09:02 PM »
Are there any specific agencies that anyone's had good/bad experiences with? :)

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 10:27:13 PM »
Are there any specific agencies that anyone's had good/bad experiences with? :)

I've had good and bad experiences with agencies of the same umbrella company.  I really think it's a matter of the people working at the agency and not necessarily the agency itself.  

For instance:-

Prior to moving to the UK I worked for Office Team in the US.  They were nothing short of fantastic.  When I learned they had branches in London, I was quite happy and so of course made an appointment to see them when I got here.  They were zero help in finding a job.  They didn't even send me on any temp assignments.  

Kelly is another agency where in the US I had good experiences with.  I didn't get a chance to have any UK experience with them.  I went in to sign up with them and they asked me to come back the next day as the lady wanted to interview me but she didn't have time.  

So after walking out of Kelly Services, on a whim I walked into a local Brook Street office.  Before I even left the woman was on the phone to several firms trying to get me interviews, temp work, etc.  Within a couple days they had placed me in a temp assignment and as soon as that one finished they had another assignment for me, which led me to the permanent job I have now.  I still keep in touch with Brook Street and I have even given them tip offs of when our office might be needing temps.  

It can really really vary.  This is a nutshell version of my experiences with agencies here although I could go on.  Perhaps another time! ;)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 01:10:17 PM »
LOL Kelly's in the UK...well my experience with them was that they were very nice, but rather useless.  :P  I wanted a temp job...they got me a permanent.  I wanted a permanent job, they found me some temp positions...after I'd already found a job through a different company.

In 2001 I told them a month before when I was quitting my job.  

2 months AFTER quitting the job, they still hadn't found me a single position.  They did send my cv off to one, but the company felt that I would get bored and then leave?  LOL the hiring over here is WEIRD.  

This was just one branch tho, so I can't exactly testify about their work uk wide.  I was happy that they placed me so quickly with the first job (even tho I was a bit miffed that it wasn't temp lol).  But then that job turned out to be a full-blown nightmare, so some of my dissatisfaction with them may well stem from that.

Now I'm getting ready to job hunt again.

joy.  :P

hehehe.
wench
;D

Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 02:39:31 PM »
I managed to find a temp job and they offerred it to me permanently. Its not at all what I want to do, its very mundane, low pay etc etc. I basically took the job because it was offerred and no one else was offerring to take on a poor immigrant such as myself  ;D I am going to start looking again when I pass my driving test as I'll be able to get around easier.
I signed up with Brook Street and found them to be the most helpful, next to the agency that found me this job, Ashfield; they are a very small firm with only 2 branches, one in Hemel Hempstead, Herts. and one in Aylesbury, Bucks.
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 12:31:26 AM »
THANK GOD !!!!..
I was beginning to feel alone in this matter. I have been looking for work now here in Cheshire and yet to find anything. My husband and I just moved up here from Wrexham and I had a job there but the drive began to be too much and I just couldn't do it anymore. It was a sad goodbye and although the job I had there was through an agency I absolutely loved the people I worked with and miss them very much (even though the pay was absolute crap, half of what I used to make)..
SO.... Here I am, looking, and loooking, and looooooking..
I've signed up with agencies up here now about 4 of them so far nothing even though one of them said I have a very good background and excellent qualifications. And even though I have damn good experience and qualifications it isn't doing anything for me. I'm beginning to wonder if I am intimidating the employers ( I don't know) but I am starting to feel really really down. I JUST WANT TO WORK!!
Of course I'd like to find something in a role that I would enjoy and that I am used to, my husband keeps saying that You'll never find it in Britain (is it me or are a lot of brits a bit pessimistic about EVERYTHING!! ???)
Actually, I just had an interview today.. and the General Manager said to me "You know, you are a very bubbly person" and I tend to be very miserable and moody, but It might work".. Needless to say I have'nt heard anything about the job yet.
WHAT THE H*** is that supposed to mean?  >:(
I'm very confused. Can someone please enlighten me...  Anyhoo, none of the agencies have done a damn thing thus far athough i did get a call today from Kelly's saying that they haven't forgotten about me.. hmmm
Can anyone please suggest anything else?
{sigh}  :-/

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 08:59:54 PM »

I'm very confused. Can someone please enlighten me...  Anyhoo, none of the agencies have done a damn thing thus far athough i did get a call today from Kelly's saying that they haven't forgotten about me.. hmmm
Can anyone please suggest anything else?
{sigh}  :-/

Call them. Call them. Call them. If they're not getting you work, or not calling you, you need to call them. Do it every other day. The people who get the jobs are the people they have first in their heads. If you just rang them up and two minutes later, they get a contract, they're going to think of you first. They don't work on a first come first serve basis.

I've found that most companies get contracts in on Thursdays. This gives them a day to find someone to work on Monday. My advice is this: On Monday, phone up all the agencies you applied with. Tell them you're still looking for work and to give you a call if they have anything. Then do the same thing on Thursday. In the mean time, apply for more agencies.  Check out jobs online. JobCentre (www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk) is a great place to look. If you go to a local office, they'll phone up the company and set the interview up for you.  I totally recommend Monster.co.uk.

Good luck. It's only a matter of time. Just hang in there.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links