Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Great British Bake Off  (Read 4036 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Great British Bake Off
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »
I think I liked Ruby at the onset, but now I just find her outright annoying. Almost like her lack of confidence is a complete show to manipulate people!

I think I'm hoping Kimberly wins.

Those of you looking for the dairy-free stuff, have you tried Lacto-Free products? I use the Arla brand regularly and they're quite good if you only need to omit the lactose. You can also order lactaid online (lactaid.co.uk). It's a bit more expensive than in the US, but it's worth it and they ship very quickly. (I've been lactose intolerant since a very young age.)

Now I'm off to bake - my sisters just bought me an amazing new mixer for my birthday and I have yet to try it out!  :D
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
I think I liked Ruby at the onset, but now I just find her outright annoying. Almost like her lack of confidence is a complete show to manipulate people!

I'm not up-to-date on the episodes & still need to catch up. Just saw the one with the custard tarts, but OMG - can't stand Ruby! Too whiny/whimpery -- I don't know -- something about her just completely grates. I don't have a favourite to win yet.  :P
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
Nobody likes Ruby!  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 4
Re: Re: Re: Great British Bake Off
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 11:30:34 PM »
Those of you looking for the dairy-free stuff, have you tried Lacto-Free products? I use the Arla brand regularly and they're quite good if you only need to omit the lactose. You can also order lactaid online (lactaid.co.uk). It's a bit more expensive than in the US, but it's worth it and they ship very quickly. (I've been lactose intolerant since a very young age.)

Thanks Elle. I'm afraid my new diet is because of my daughter's milk protein intolerance, so it's the protein not the lactose I'm avoiding, which means all dairy is out as the protein can't be removed or adjusted for. I'm starting to adjust pretty well and finding substitutes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Liked: 223
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »
I totally believe the final bake Ruby did (the allotment) was the best she's done (since she said she hadn't done that sort of stuff before) and it was good for the first time, but I thought it looked too wonky to earn star baker.  :P  I like Kimberly's a lot more.  :) 

Kimberly seems much more likable, confident, experienced and professional to me.  :)  I'd be satisfied if she won.  :)

Ruby just seems like she's starting to earn pity points and being judged on lower standard since she's young, in school and shows off her low self-esteem......   :-\\\\
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
We are still catching up - just watched the sweet yeast breads & buns one last night.

And I have to say about this year on Bake Off.... Meh!  :-\\\\

I mean I like the bakes & challenges they are being given, etc....but there's just no contestant for whom I'm really feeling the love or even much interest this time. I find them all terribly boring!  :P

There's no John Whaite or James Morton or Brendan Lynch - no one especially interesting or quirky in an interesting way. I just don't care about any of them really, this time. Blah!  [smiley=blank.gif]

I did like Howard from Sheffield a lot (just his sweet personality) - but he didn't deserve to go through of course based on the sweet breads & buns. Now he's gone & there's no one left to care about.  :(

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »
Ugh, I am SO ready for Ruby to go.  If she does her, "it's awful/giant puppy dog eyes of surprise that they like it" one more time, I may throw something at my tv....  when they announced her Star Baker this week, my husband and I both groaned.

I am really rooting for Kimberly.  But I'd be happy with Becca or Frances as well.

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
Not sure if I can bear to keep watching if she's going to be getting Star Baker, again!  >:(

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »
I love Frances. I really do think they're being far too harsh on the whole "style over substance" thing. She's a designer for goodness' sake!

And I cannot believe they gave Ruby the star baker. I almost feel like they refuse to criticise her, but went harsh on everyone else. Anyone else think this?
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »
I love Frances. I really do think they're being far too harsh on the whole "style over substance" thing. She's a designer for goodness' sake!

And I cannot believe they gave Ruby the star baker. I almost feel like they refuse to criticise her, but went harsh on everyone else. Anyone else think this?

I do think they are really forgiving of Ruby.  Her house was leaning SERIOUSLY sideways and that was Star Baker?!?

And I agree about Frances.  When they were being so hard on her initially about style-over-substance, she won at least one of the blind technical challenges and scored really high at others.  That's substance!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
Ugh, I am so over Ruby. Well, I always was but now I'm WAY over her.

Kimberly should probably win and I'd be more than happy with that, but Frances is my fave. I love her attention to detail. If only she'd layered her stupid carrot show cake with icing, I think they'd have liked it!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 09:26:45 PM »
I don't hate Ruby though I can see why she annoys people.  Kimberly is still my favourite, though I like everyone who's still left.  So glad Christine went this week. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
I really, really hope Ruby does not win.  She isn't the best baker (IMO that would be Kimberly) and her 'woe is me' personality is grating. 
Off topic, but has anyone been watching Masterchef Australia? 

Sponsored Links