Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about bills  (Read 826 times)

• Liked: 0
Question about bills
« on: October 23, 2004, 09:51:49 PM »
I was wondering about during the visa interview if they want to know if you have any bills and if they want you to have everything paid off before you get married. I plan to work after I'm married and would continue to pay my bills. I hope it's not required. No one here has mentioned this and it has me a bit worried because I have a few I'm paying on.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: Question about bills
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 10:45:10 PM »
Nope, there's no need to give any information about bills.  However, you will have supply several months worth of bank statements (both you and your fiance) so I suppose they will know what sorts of outgoings you have from that.  Otherwise though, you won't need to tell them anything about your bills.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 11:21:35 PM »
Thanks Wishstar, that helps alot! I hope they don't hold my over drafts on my bank statements against me, I always make sure they're taken care of though every payday. I've had no complaints from the bank, they always get the money.

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 12:28:07 AM »
Nope, there's no need to give any information about bills.  However, you will have supply several months worth of bank statements (both you and your fiance) so I suppose they will know what sorts of outgoings you have from that.  Otherwise though, you won't need to tell them anything about your bills.

About how many months worth of bank statements do you have to supply for them?  The last few months look bad, but things are going to be better this month and next, but I want to apply next month.  It's so hard to have decent looking statements when you're a student. ;) 

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 04:59:38 AM »
I don't think our bank statements would be all that important to them if we're going to be immigrating anyway would they? What exactly is the purpose of them seeing the statements? Yes mine have always had over drafts due to the fact I'm  getting no help financially whatsoever from family or anyone else,but as I stated in my earlier post, they would see from my bank statements that I always put money in every payday and cover my over drafts. I'd like to start a savings account however to show them that I am trying to save money as well but I know our dollar isn't worth a whole lot in Britian so I wouldn't have that much in there when the time came for my interview for my visa. :-\\\\ I believe they want 3-6 months worth of statements?( if I remember correctly.)
~Kay

• Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 11:02:55 AM »

About how many months worth of bank statements do you have to supply for them?  The last few months look bad, but things are going to be better this month and next, but I want to apply next month.  It's so hard to have decent looking statements when you're a student. ;) 

Ideally, they say that you should both supply about 6 months of bank statements.  I only had three months' worth and DH had a year's worth.  Just rustle up whatever you can get together--the more the better though.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 02:25:53 PM »
They want to see bank statements to ensure that you won't be a drain on public funds.  If you're already in financial trouble and not taking care of your accounts, you're more likely to be unable to support yourself over here.  And the same is true for your fiance/sponsor. 

We submitted three month's worth as well, and that was fine, but that was also about four years ago.  With the current climate and tightening of immigration controls, it may have changed.

One option if you are concerned is to get someone to lend you a chunk of funds to put in your account for a few months.  This will inflate your balance.  Probably not on the up and up, but it is something I know has been done in the past.

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 02:48:03 PM »
We didn't submit any bank statements--- his letter of employment was enough. We were both living pay check to pay check at the time..and were just clearing up some old debt--none of which was asked about or mentioned.

I was stressed about the financial requirement for the visa---it was NO PROBLEM at all!!!!! As I said we simply had his letter of employment (and he doesn't make a huge salary) and letter of my employment to simply show I was qualified for work once we were married.

Helena

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 09:24:24 PM »
The thing is, realistically, most folks don't always have a full bank account with alot of money in it, they should realize this, if they see that money is always being put in every payday and it's all gone before the next payday that it's being used for bills..that I would say is a normal working person supporting themselves, more so than if someone who makes an average wage and has over $1000 in the bank, I would think they'd find that suspicious? If they're going mostly on a letter of employment we'll be just fine. He works and gets paid weekly and his account is always low too but he also has his family who help him out when money is tight for the week. I get paid bi weekly and work as a nurses aide so I know I would definatly be able to find employment in a nursing home there; they're always short of help. If I would decide to go on and get my nursing degree there I would have even more opportunities. I'm thinking about it. :)
Another question I have is do you think it makes a difference  (with what they ask for) which consulate you go to? I'll be going to the one in Chicago, I would rather go in person since I only live about an hour away.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 08:33:57 AM »
They don't expect you to have tens of thousands of dollars in your account.  In fact, it's not really your account they're concerned with  (though showing up with an account $500 in the hole isn't going to help your case).  They want to make sure that your fiance/husband can support you until you find work and that he can provide a decent place for the two of you to live.  If he has very little in the bank, then he needs to have a letter from his parents stating that they will help you out financially until you get on your feet. 

There are people who have gotten their visas with very little in the bank, but if you can help it, it really is best to get some cash in both of your accounts before you apply.  Is there anything you'll be selling before you head over?  I sold my car right before I came over, so that helped my bank account a lot!   ;D

You'll need to go to the consulate that handles applications from your state.  If you got married in NYC or LA, though, I don't think they'd refuse to process your application if you were there in person (you'll need at appointment at NYC).  I do know, based on what I've read here, that more people have trouble in LA than at the other two.  If you're applying in person, though, I can't see any reason why you'd need to go anywhere other than Chicago.  They'll ask for the same stuff at all three consulates--LA just seems to be a bit more nit-picky about stuff.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 01:56:05 PM »
I went in with 6 months of statements for me, and 3 for him.  But they didn't look at anything but his letter of employment that stated his sallary.  they asked about me and work, but i told them i had an interview lined up with my old company and that was enough for them. 

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 03:52:42 PM »
My DH and I went to the NYC Consulate to obtain my visa and my children's in Spet 2004.  Our printed checking account statements looked great since we had both been paid our monthly paycheck just the day before, great timing.  It seemed to me the Consulate just wanted to make sure my DH had a steady job with a salary to provide for a family of four. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab