Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions for anyone who has traveled to UK from USA with pets after 2012  (Read 1764 times)

• Liked: 0
Ok here I am again freaked out about getting my 3 dogs into the UK without major issues. I just had them chipped then vaccinated the same day, I know the vet chipped first then vaccinated them but how will DEFRA know that? I am asking the doc for a letter stating that is what she did but who knows if it will be accepted. So now they have been chipped and rabies vaccinated, I wait the 21 days and then get the third country vet papers signed? Or do I do it no earlier than 10 days before (seems a little close to me how do I know they will get the papers mailed back to me on time)? Then get them wormed and have it signed off no more than 5 days before we leave? Also do I have to have the vet (usda approved) sign the third country vet cert and also send the docs to sacramento to be signed by the USDA Doc for the state? My stomach is reeling arghhhhhh.....any help will be appreciated have an e-mail into DEFRA but antsy to see if anyone has been through this recently after  Jan 2012....a step by step procedure would be great as far as what to do the last 10 days before you leave.
Thank you,
Nikki x

• Liked: 2
Re: Questions for anyone who has traveled to UK from USA with pets after 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
This link has instructions for bringing pets into the UK https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners

This is a link for the Annex II/Third Country Vet Cert. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/ee_non_com_pets.pdf

This is the link for instructions on completing the Annex II/Third Country Vet Cert.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/ee_an_%20non_com_pet.pdf

First, take a deep breath, print out everything you need, write notes, make lists! You need to know what needs to be done so you can make sure your vet does it correctly!  :D

Step 1
Microchip with a 15 digit chip

Step 2
Rabies vaccination, you also need to have a rabies vaccination certificate from your vet

Step 3
Bring pets to vet for health certificate (needed for the airline)

Step 4
Call the USDA State Vet. office for an appointment to bring the Annex II/Third Country Vet. Cert. & Health Cert. (needed for airline) for signatures. You can also ship the paperwork to the vet for signature, but call the office first!
 I called my (New York State) USDA Vet. office yesterday for an appointment, they were very helpful, I am sure your USDA State vet's office will be able to answer any questions you might have also.

Step 5
Have the tapeworm treatment done

Step 6
Ready your crates for travel as per your airlines guidelines

** When your paperwork is complete, it might be a good idea to get in contact (email/phone) with the animal reception center of whichever UK airport you are flying into & ask if you can email/fax them your paperwork so they can look it over. If there are any problems you can take of it before your flight. That way you can fly with your pets relatively worry free  :) Also have you read the Pets thread? http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=60.0 There is lots of good information there for you.

Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:38:06 PM »
Thank you so much, you are a gem  :) Definately made things clearer to me. But Now I am worried on how I can get the paper work sent to the US Vet in Sacramento and back again within the 10 day window that we will arrive in the UK, I can't take it to them as it is an 8 hr journey to Sacramento. Am I correct that I have 10 days to use the vet cert after it is signed?

Nikki x

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
You're welcome :D I am still muddling through all this myself, I have a folder full of paperwork that I have printed out and hi-lited trying to get this all straight in my head!
The health certificate for the airline needs to be signed/issued within 10 days of the flight.
If I were you, I would write down all my questions and call the USDA State Vet.'s office in Sacramento, ask them what they recommend you do, they deal with this all the time.
Also contact the Animal Reception Center of whatever airport you are flying into and they can double check all your paperwork if you email/fax it to them. Use their knowledge, this is what they do!  :)
I am lucky to be only 40 minutes away from my state's USDA Vet, so I am bringing the pets in to my vets office 5 days prior to my flight for the health cert., make sure everything is completed on the Annex II, bringing the pets home, then driving up to the appointment at the USDA state vet to have all the paperwork signed & hopefully it will all be done correctly by myself and my vet so I don't have to go back up the next day!

** Also when I spoke to my USDA Vet's office, I asked when the tapeworm needs to be done in regards to the paperwork, as it needs to be administered so close to the flight date, he said to have my vet postdate the tapeworm treatment for the date it will be done & that will be fine.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:23:12 PM by Stephanie303 »

It is me again :) anyone know of a reputable company in Los Angeles Area that helps with pet location from LAX to London Heathrow? also any idea on cost?

Thank you!
Nikki

• Liked: 114
I used PetRelocation.com last year, and would recommend them time and time again. They're based in Austin, TX, but (as far as I know) contract with other agencies in order to facilitate international moves. To send my two cats from Dallas to London, I paid around $3500 - and that's not including vet visits or crates. It was expensive, but I was happy to know it was being done right and that I didn't have to worry about it when I had so much other stuff on my plate.

I just moved my two dogs last month. I also used PetRelocation.com and I wasn't living in Texas, so they will definitely work with you in other areas of the country. They were expensive, but it was well worth it for the relief of having an expert handle all the paperwork!

• Liked: 82
I went to the vet to get the paperwork filled out by her on a monday, overnighted it that day to our USDA vet in Albany, with a return overnight envelope addressed to me.  It was in my hands by 9 am on Wednesday and the cat flew out Monday.  Good luck.  Also, once you have the paperwork filled out by your vet, you can scan it and email it to the ARC.  I did this on monday before it was stamped by the USDA office and the ARC at Manchester assured me it was all correct once stamped.  Once she landed in Manchester and cleared customs, the check at ARC was less than 5 minutes.  United also allows you to see when the pet gets on the plane, when the plane departs, when it lands, when it arrives at the gate, when the pet is unloaded, when it clears everything.  It helped me tremendously as I didn't travel with the furball.  That being said I still didn't sleep properly until I was here in the UK with her.

thank you so very much,you guys and gals are lovely!!!
Nikki oxo

• Liked: 19
I have a question concerning flying my cats into the Manchester airport. Do you have to be on the same flight as they are or can you go a cheaper root that gets you there at the same time or earlier then them?
Thanks for any help. I am stressing because the last quote I got was for $5000 so I dont want anything going wrong.

Sponsored Links