Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A & I T (TOC) Public Consulation opens today  (Read 656 times)

A & I T (TOC) Public Consulation opens today
« on: October 25, 2004, 04:50:16 PM »
The public consultation on the new Asylum & Immigration act opened today.  I had written here about it last July when it was in Lords for its final reading.

Of course the bulk of this legislation has nothing to do with this forum with the single exception of UK nationals wishing to marry a non-EU national and where the non-EU national (for example, American, Canadian, etc) does not have a fiance visa.

In that case, the non-EU person will need to get an approval voucher from the Home Office before they can approach a registry office for a marriage ceremony.  The voucher costs 250 - 295 pounds.

That's a major change peeps.  It might be worthwhile giving them some feedback - it's what this drill is about.

Note that this a new thing, so the consultation papers are at DCA site!!!  Wow.  Here's the link  http://www.dca.gov.uk/consult/asylum/asylum-immigration-cp27-04.htm

OH!  This is only a consultation.  It is not scheduled to be in force until next year.  Nobody needs to change their plans or to be worried about this.  Chances are good they will have a grandfather clause for couples wanting to marry in 2005 anyway...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 05:06:24 PM by garry »

• Liked: 0
  • Location: Michigan to Birmingham U.K. (via Florida & Australia)
Re: A & I T (TOC) Public Consulation opens today
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 11:39:28 PM »
Thanks for the link Garry.   Could you point out the section where they propose to introduce the 'approval vouchers'?   I could only find details about changes to the Tribunals...

*Edit:  Found the text of the proposed Act at http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/20040019.htm - still can't find details of the consultation though!*
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 11:46:04 PM by saraliz »

Re: A & I T (TOC) Public Consulation opens today
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 08:14:46 AM »
Thanks for the link Garry.   Could you point out the section where they propose to introduce the 'approval vouchers'?   I could only find details about changes to the Tribunals...

It's the part that begins with...

"The superintendent registrar shall not enter in the marriage notice book notice of a marriage to which this section applies unless satisfied, by the provision of specified evidence, that the party subject to immigration control-  "

Sponsored Links