Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trouble settling in  (Read 3044 times)

• Liked: 0
Trouble settling in
« on: October 22, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
Hi All,

Not one to complain really, but maybe if I get this out there it will help a little.
I just recently moved to the Greater London Area for Graduate School. Everything with my school is just great, I am receiving a phenomenal education, that's the easy part.

I have left my Wife and newborn daughter (10 weeks) back home. They were supposed to be here by now, but finances are just not working out. Government shutdown effected their Visa processes. It took me FOREVER to find a house. Now that I did I am afraid it is too much.

I am still waiting on a student loan. No one knows where it is or can help me at all.

Even though school is great, and even though I am extremely good at what I do and I am succeeding... it is still just so hard. Skype works ok, but I wish I could hold that little girl so bad.

Now Finances are really starting to catch up with me. I am looking for a job but it seems that no one at all is hiring.

I don't know what else to do. Sick of being alone, sick of crying, sick of being hungry...

It feels very weird to be just complaining on a forum, but I figured if anyone has experienced the same thing, they would be here.

Well, that's it. If anyone knows of any job, please let me know!

Thanks for listening.

• I miss people no matter where I live
Re: Trouble settling in
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
Hi Tim,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had the same problems in year 2 of my undergrad degree in the UK and I remember the hungry part very well. You need to go to your university finance department and tell them you're struggling. They can help by giving you loans. When I mentioned being hungry they were especially sympathetic and were willing to give me money that day. Have you tried local food banks?

Try to call up temp agencies and look at the jobs available through your university. They often hire part time workers and are willing to take people on quickly.

Here is a link to finding your nearest food bank. http://www.trusselltrust.org/map

I hope your loan gets sorted out quickly but keep on bugging them when you're in school. Don't give up or nothing well ever get done.
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »
Have you tried local food banks?

I don't think you can just turn up at food banks anymore in England. From what I have read, you now seem to need to get a referral to a foodbank from somewhere i.e. local council. In April, England stopped giving crisis loans and many councils have directed that government money to food banks instead. Hence why a referral is now needed. Even then, the number of times you can use a food bank per month, seem to be limited per month.

Maybe try a church to see if they will give you some food/ have their own food bank?

Have you tried asking the university if they have any jobs for their students, for the hours allowed on your visa? They usually keep their jobs for their own students.

At least get onto the international section at the university, to see if they will sub you while you are waiting for your loan to come through. Can your parents send you any money for food until your loan comes through?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:47:30 PM by SusanP »

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
Hey,

Hang in there. If you are going hungry, forward me your postal address to lydiadla at yahoo dot com and I will send you a voucher to a grocery store (let me know closest). I also second the church suggestion, and yes, you usually need a council referral to go to a Trussell Trust one. As a mother of a toddler, look at the upside that you are getting more sleep (I know it's hard, not to make a joke of it). If you are also needing to organise your life, it's probably better that your wife follows later anyway. Jobs are hard to come by - sign up with Adecco, Reed and the other big employment agencies and hound them. Hit the pavement for pub jobs, don't be ashamed to work service or retail if you have to. It gets easier, promise.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
I've just been looking it up and someone said that the Salvation Army can give referrals to food banks too. It's still limited visits per month though, so just a short term gap.

Looking at your other posts about your loan being held up because of government problems - is there no one who is helping you US students get your loans through? Your embassy? You can't be the only US student having problems because of this.

I saw some loaves of bread marked down to 10p a loaf in a Tesco Extra last night. I asked the guy and he said all their shops do this about 8pm. Not the most nutritious of foods and just carbs, but perhaps a short term hunger filler for you?

Pulses (Legume) are cheap and have protein - they are cheap to buy in tins in supermarkets such as Asda and even cheaper if you buy your own and cook them (just make sure you follow the instructions carefully if you cook your own, as they contain toxins).

Veggies. If you have a local market, nutritious veggies can be very cheap there, and even cheaper when the market closes down. If you have a Lidl or Aldi  supermarket near you, they do their 'super 6' fruit and veg offers every week. https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/fresh-bakery/this-weeks-latest-super-6-offers/

It's tough living in London if you don't have much money.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:15:25 AM by SusanP »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
Tim, I think you've been given some good advice so far. How are you getting on and how's your wife's visa coming along? 

Scary to be in a foreign country with money problems! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 05:28:31 AM »

Sponsored Links