Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone flown/moved pets from another EU country to the UK?  (Read 1030 times)

• Liked: 56
Anyone flown/moved pets from another EU country to the UK?
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
Hey folks,

So while my permit is headed in today to NY for processing and we are getting logistics down for the people moving part, we have a hiccup with our two kitties.  Originally they were going to stay with my parents/family members while we got settled in the UK and then brought over in the late spring.  Unfortunately it sounds like b/c family members are moving around this winter/spring (my parents move between homes throughout the year), it looks like we have to take the "kids" with us to their farfar and morfar's home near Stockholm first.

Our plan now is to go to Sweden for the holidays, leave the cats there, settle in the UK and get our feet back under us, and then ship the cats over when we are ready (either by plane or someone could drive/ferry them over).  While it looks like Swedish  intake for pets is similar to the UK with the chipping and rabies shots etc, I am wondering at the cost/procedure to get them into the UK.  Could they get a pet passport in Sweden and move with minimal fuss to the UK - eliminating the extra customs costs and fees?  Has anyone done this before?

• Liked: 2
Re: Anyone flown/moved pets from another EU country to the UK?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »
Hey folks,

So while my permit is headed in today to NY for processing and we are getting logistics down for the people moving part, we have a hiccup with our two kitties.  Originally they were going to stay with my parents/family members while we got settled in the UK and then brought over in the late spring.  Unfortunately it sounds like b/c family members are moving around this winter/spring (my parents move between homes throughout the year), it looks like we have to take the "kids" with us to their farfar and morfar's home near Stockholm first.

Our plan now is to go to Sweden for the holidays, leave the cats there, settle in the UK and get our feet back under us, and then ship the cats over when we are ready (either by plane or someone could drive/ferry them over).  While it looks like Swedish  intake for pets is similar to the UK with the chipping and rabies shots etc, I am wondering at the cost/procedure to get them into the UK.  Could they get a pet passport in Sweden and move with minimal fuss to the UK - eliminating the extra customs costs and fees?  Has anyone done this before?

I didn't bring my pets into the UK from Sweden, but brought them in last Monday through France from the USA.
We entered at Calais and came over using the the Eurotunnel.  The Animal Reception center at Calais was very fast and simple.
They scanned the cat & dog, looked over the paperwork, stamped it & that was that, no custom fee's either. 
If you flew them into the UK, they have to go as manifest cargo, so there would be the cargo fee's, the pet transport (at the airport) company fee's and custom fee's/forms.
The Annex II form (Third Country Veterinarian Certificate) you will be using to bring your cats to Sweden, is valid for 4 months from the date the USDA/APHIS Veterinarian signs it, so you could use it for the cat's to enter the UK, or go to a vet in Sweden and have Pet Passport's issued for your cats & there is a fee for the Pet Passport.
So it is up to you which you would want to use, the Annex II if it is within 4 months or the Pet Passport  :)

• Liked: 56
Re: Anyone flown/moved pets from another EU country to the UK?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »
Yeah, this is definitely looking like the better option.  I called Scandinavian this week and not only are they dead cheap ($200 each crate, or $400 for a larger one), but they will fly both kitties together in a single crate (that is how they travel in the 7 hour car rides to my parents here) and they will fly them from Chicago in December.  Driving them back from Sweden could be a hassle, but we will deal with that when it happens next year.  Their morfar and farfar are also happy to take care of them and would be fine taking them to the vet to get their EU passports.

Thanks for the input!

Sponsored Links