Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Naughty cat getting in the house (but don't want to lock the cat flap)!  (Read 2397 times)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
We have somewhat new neighbors and their cat is really aggressive toward Dylan (our other neighbor's cat that hangs out with us all the time).  

This new cat has been sitting in all of Dylan's favorite spots outside in our garden, on the wood store, under the bushes, etc.  My hubby and I shoo him away with words and squirt water at him and he usually runs away but we can't be there all the time.  Dylan gets freaked out and the scream at each other and have stand-offs, etc.

He's come up to the cat flap before and peered in when Dylan was here and Dylan went  nuts, but this time he actually came in!  I bet it wasn't the first time, either!

I'm just worried that Dylan will be so freaked out he'll stop coming by if he smells the other cat's been around.  :(

Is there anything I can do?  We don't leave food around for Dylan (we don't feed him) so there's nothing for him here other than him claiming the territory as his own.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:37:20 PM by Andee »
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Naughty cat getting in the house (but don't want to lock the cat flap)!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
You could go all high-tech and get one of those flaps that only opens for a cat wearing  a special collar.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »
You could go all high-tech and get one of those flaps that only opens for a cat wearing  a special collar.
Thanks chary, but since Dylan isn't our cat officially I have a feeling there's nothing we can really do.  :-(
Married October 2007

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
Oh, I didn't read your post properly! I didn't see that he belonged to a neighbour. Sorry!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »
Can you have a chat with the new neighbors about their cat being a big, ol' meanie? I have no idea how that would go or what they can do about it, but that's the only thing I can think of.  :-\\\\

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »
Can you have a chat with the new neighbors about their cat being a big, ol' meanie? I have no idea how that would go or what they can do about it, but that's the only thing I can think of.  :-\\\\
Worth a try--he is a big big ol' meanie, too!
Oh, I didn't read your post properly! I didn't see that he belonged to a neighbour. Sorry!
That's OK chary.  I love Dylan so much, I'd be heartbroken if he stopped coming by.  He's like a black version of your cat.
Married October 2007

• Liked: 163
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
You could go all high-tech and get one of those flaps that only opens for a cat wearing  a special collar.
Thanks chary, but since Dylan isn't our cat officially I have a feeling there's nothing we can really do.  :-(

We've got one of those, but it doesn't work on a collar.  There's a reader in the frame of the cat flap that can read the cat's ID microchip, and it only opens the flap for cats that are allowed to come in.  Works like a charm.

If Dylan's got a chip it'll let him in and keep any other cats out.

This is the one we've got:

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
Thanks camoscato!  That would work if Dylan's already chipped.  I'll have a chat with the neighbor and see...
Married October 2007

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:18:57 AM »
We've got one of those, but it doesn't work on a collar.  There's a reader in the frame of the cat flap that can read the cat's ID microchip, and it only opens the flap for cats that are allowed to come in.  Works like a charm.

If Dylan's got a chip it'll let him in and keep any other cats out.

This is the one we've got:

We have a SureFlap for Peppa and it works amazing with the bullies in our area. She knows she can run in and no one can follow her.. Though, she then fights through the flap, but thats another story.

Also we had an issue with ours and their Customer Service was right on top of it.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 08:25:48 AM »
I'd just fill a spray bottle with water and spray the offending cat and shout at it, directing it towards the cat flap every time it comes in. Hopefully, it would eventually be put off. Mean, but hopefully effective.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
I'd just fill a spray bottle with water and spray the offending cat and shout at it, directing it towards the cat flap every time it comes in. Hopefully, it would eventually be put off. Mean, but hopefully effective.
We do that when we're home, but the problem is him getting in when we're not.  And these days we're both not home more than we are home.

Married October 2007

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »
We do that when we're home, but the problem is him getting in when we're not.  And these days we're both not home more than we are home.

Ahhhh!  [smiley=bulb.gif] That would indeed require advanced tactics...  :-\\\\

• Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
I was visiting my cousin this weekend and they have the exact same problem as you. Well, it doesn't come inside because they don't have a flap. They have an elderly, non-aggressive male cat who stays in the yard and their neighbors have a young, aggressive male cat who roams. Their neighbor's cat literally almost killed their cat. They got it to the vet just in time. When they mentioned it to their neighbor they were like, 'they're cats and cats will be cats'. My cousin likes their neighbors, so they don't want to cause any friction, but it certainly puts them in a bad position.  :-\\\\ I hope your situation gets a better result.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »
I was visiting my cousin this weekend and they have the exact same problem as you. Well, it doesn't come inside because they don't have a flap. They have an elderly, non-aggressive male cat who stays in the yard and their neighbors have a young, aggressive male cat who roams. Their neighbor's cat literally almost killed their cat. They got it to the vet just in time. When they mentioned it to their neighbor they were like, 'they're cats and cats will be cats'. My cousin likes their neighbors, so they don't want to cause any friction, but it certainly puts them in a bad position.  :-\\\\ I hope your situation gets a better result.
Oh no!  That's so sad, I hope their cat recovers.  :(  Maybe your cousins should get a flap and one of the ones mentioned above that only their cat can activate.

At the moment we are just locking it when we go to work (or leave the house) and then when we get home we unlock it and just watch out for the naughty cat.

Thankfully, Dylan isn't elderly (just middle-aged, I think) and he's been standing up for  himself pretty well.  I just don't like to see him stressed though.
Married October 2007

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
At the moment we are just locking it when we go to work (or leave the house) and then when we get home we unlock it and just watch out for the naughty cat.

Thankfully, Dylan isn't elderly (just middle-aged, I think) and he's been standing up for  himself pretty well.  I just don't like to see him stressed though.

Maybe these two things will mean eventually that you can re-open the cat flap, as Dylan (  [smiley=smitten.gif] ) will have warded off naughty cat. (Crossing fingers).

Sponsored Links