Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving to US  (Read 976 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving to US
« on: October 29, 2004, 05:18:18 PM »
Hello,

We are trying to get back to Chicago as well!  We have applied for an Immigrant Visa with the UK Embassy and are going to be waiting well into January for our appointment or interview. 
We need to be in the USA at the beginning of December, because we are opening a business and are getting our vows renewed. 
Do you have any suggestions?  We are hearing that my husband, who is a Brit, will not be allowed into the USA.  Is this true? 
Can anyone else offer any suggestions?
Michelle

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
Re: Moving to US
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 12:06:12 AM »
Hello,

My husband and I just relocated to the Chicago area in September and completed DCF process in London.  Best of luck to you!

If you look at posts in various repatriation threads, you'll find a wealth of information including a DCF timeline, links to the US Embassy website and loads of stories recapping various repats' experiences.

I can assure that, despite all of the worries, waiting and anxieties, if you follow the rules and guidelines, it's not too bad.  There's just a lot of paperwork and a lot of it seems repetitive...

When did you file the I-130?  Have you received a notice of approval, indicating if your petition is accepted?

If you read all of the posts here, check the embassy website and still have questions, I'd suggest emailing the embassy directly.  I found that when I did this, I usually got a response within 24 hours.

Are you from Chicago?

Good luck!
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 02:54:12 PM »
Thanks for the help!

our petition has been approved and now are waiting for our interview appointment.  As we all know, it could take 2 months which means it would fall over Christmas and would require us being apart for the holidays since I am traveling to Chicago very soon to begin arranging everything for our business. 
Do you think he would have trouble traveling to the USA while he is waiting for the VISA appointment?

Michelle

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 03:12:52 PM »
Unfortunately, the sponsored immigrant is not allowed to travel to the US prior to the interview.  I believe they view it as a way of trying to sneak through the system...

Have you mailed in your document checklist, indicating that you are ready for your interview?  Your interview will not be scheduled until they receive that.

If everything is ready and you've not yet been given an interview date, it might be worth emailing the embassy explaining what you're trying to achieve.  During my filing, I did this and requested a date, if possible, before the end of August explaining that I had children I wanted to settle into school as close to the beginning of the school year as possible.  They emailed me back very quickly with our interview date, August 27.  Whether this was luck or whether they were genuinely taking our circumstances into account, I'll never know.  But it's worth a try.

There are a lot of people here who have recently gone through this process and we all understand the stresses involved.  There's a lot of waiting around and feeling like your hands are tied. 

Most of the people here have come through OK.  So long as you follow their rules and give them what's requested, you should have no problems.

Where in Chicago are you setting up business?  Are you from Chicagoland?

Good luck.
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 04:57:07 PM »
Can I just say that you have been an amazing help!!  We are setting up a technology publishing/conference company somewhere in central Chicago.  Place TBD... We both work for the company over here in the UK and are extending the business to the USA.  Lot's of new beginnings happening in the next few months!!!

I sent an email to this email address londonconsular@state.gov which I hope is correct and yes I have sent back my application readiness forms and we are just waiting for the appointment date.  With a bit of luck, we'll be there by Christmas!!! 

Do you know if the email address above is the one you used? 
Thanks again for all your help and hopefully we can be in touch in Chicago!
Michelle

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 05:10:47 PM »
Yes, that's the email address! 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get an interview date soon and that everything goes smoothly for you.

Keep us posted on your progress and I'd love to keep in touch, especially once you're in Chicago.

Feel free to pm me if you want.

Good luck!
Douglas Jerrold

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab